SHISEIDO Ultimune

Wat

on 11/11/2015 8:13:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

If you are looking for a true serum, this is not it. Unless you have very oily skin, then perhaps you can get away by using this as a serum. I was confused when trying to figure out what this is because it's not a serum, it's not a toner, it's not a moisturizer... so what the heck is it and what's it for? It's an essence, like a loose gel you apply to your skin AFTER toner. Being a loyal Shiseido user, shopping at various cosmetic stores, and having a good friend working in a cosmetic store with Shiseido products, I have been showered with tons of samples from Ultimune; I have accumulated a large stash of this product in sample form. I've gone through about a bottle or two worth of this product over the past year since it came out. Here are my thoughts:

Incorporating this in my routine over the past year, my skin does look and feel smoother, brighter, pores are smaller, more balanced, my skin is plumper, and my skin is very clear, I cannot remember the last time I had a blemish even a tiny one. Approaching 30, I have slowly started to see the first tiny signs of aging, not so prominent ones plus I have "good skin" with an excellent skincare routine, but I have seen enough signs to make me take skincare along with my health, much more seriously. I get compliments on my skin, and get asked skin care advice even from 17-22 year olds so it must mean im doing at least something right.

Here's my routine: wash face, apply toner/softener, apply this Ultimune, treatment serum, and then massage my moisturizer in. Asian skincare has so many steps! It's annoying but it's worth it. The best way I can describe this is from what I read somewhere else saying this is like a multi vitamin for your skin, a booster for the skin AND skincare. This essence absorbs into skin quickly yet, leaves a slightly tacky film behind. Perfect for treatment serums and moisturizers afterwards. If you have combination to dry skin, do not just wash your face, apply this, and be done with it. Your skin WILL be left dry because it is not a moisturizer. Perhaps that is why many people have complained about this. Using this in a full routine is key. This essence reminds me a lot of the Eudermine essence, Shiseidos oldest product that comes in a pretty, Orient, red bottle. Both are similar in texture and what they claim to do, to balance and strengthen the skin. Eudermine is more hydrating and watery, it's more on the toner side of skincare, although it could be used as a light hydrater; and Ultimune is more of a serum/ treatment and not so moisturizing. If I had to pick only one, I would choose Eudermine since it's more versatile. Having either or, it is honestly not necessary or must have. Using Ultimune will not make a MAJOR change in your skin(Or perhaps it does?). Some people say toners, essences, boosters, etc, are not needed in skincare, but it is an extra step that makes me personally feel much better and I do see a difference, small differences, nonetheless every step counts and adds up to achieve the ideal skin.

All in all, this is not an amazing, bells and whistles product. It is something to consider if you want to spend the extra cash for something luxurious and extra additional into skincare. I've had great results using this, and I would absolutely purchase this.