Sally Hansen Miracle Gel

Sally Hansen Miracle Gel

3.2

I have this in two shades- Pinky Promise and Shock Wave and have used them both about 3 times. Pinky promise requires two coats and I find Shock Wave needs more. When you first apply it, it looks great, the top coat plumps out the polish and it looks just like a gel manicure you'd get from a salon. Fast forward a few hours and you have a shitestorm of compacted down, regular-looking nail polish with premature chipping and uneven texture- nothing like the long lasting colour and shine that Sally Hansen boasts about. Dishonest marketing at it's finest.

I have a couple of these polishes just sitting in my drawers and thought I'd revisit them thinking 'How bad could they possibly be?' As it turns out, terrible.

I used two coats of Blacky O, one coat of top coat on my nails last night and just ended up with a bubbly mess that never even dried. It's super easy to put fingerprints in your polish even after half an hour, and I did my nails an hour before bed and woke up with sheet marks. Utter nonsense. I will say, though, that the few smooth patches which don't have ridiculous clusters of bubbles underneath or sheet marks are super shiny. Not being able to stand the bubbles, I took them off, cleaned my nails with acetone a little better this time (though briefly swiping at them never causes any problems with other polishes) and redid them today with the same result - bubbly garbage. It's also pretty streaky, and you need more than two coats to get it perfectly even. Also, I know some people enjoy the brush, but I just find it difficult to get a smooth line at the cuticle with these. The brush is shaped like a weird 'V', rather than being curved or flat like a regular brush. (I just checked my other colours, though, and they look rounder, so it might just be the bottle of Blacky O I have).

I can't really speak for the wear time because 1) I'm not sure why I would want to have a bubbly mess on my nails for 14 days, and 2) I tend to redo my nails weekly, but from memory, wear time is fairly average. It doesn't chip on me the next day like it does for others, but neither does regular polish. But another gripe I have with this line, on top of it taking forever and a day to dry and the bubbles, is that it gives me really weird shrinkage the next day. I do cap the tips of my nails, but even then, 'tipwear' (which I'm convinced is just shrinkage) is way more evident than with other polishes when it fully dries down (literally more than 24 hours later), and it always shrinks at the cuticle as well, which is incredibly frustrating after spending so long trying to clean it up and perfect it.

I wouldn't say these products are affordable for a polish, either. I've yet to try the colours with a different top coat, but having to buy both the colour and that specific top coat gets a little pricey (here in Australia, anyway). This would be fine if they worked great, but they don't at all. I do sometimes use the topcoat over other polishes and it works fine, if a little bubblier than I'd like.

All in all, I don't recommend this even a little, unless you just really love the colour, or something. As someone whose go to is just black, I'd definitely prefer using Sally Hansen's way more affordable black from their Xtreme wear line and their quick dry top coat in the red bottle.

on 10/22/2017 5:51:00 AM

One of the worst polishes I’ve ever used. I purchased the Miracle Gel in Purple and it goes on very thick and never dries ever under curing lights. I found it would peel off my nails after a few hours. I’d much rather stick to a quality brand like OPI.

on 9/28/2017 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Okay so I love the colors Redgy, Malibu Peach, Blacky O, and Greyfitti. However, the only miricale is if this polish hardens before I dent the ever loving shiiiit out of it. I love the brush and application but I literally need to paint my nails and go to bed with my hands on tip of my blankets and hope I wake up with smooth nails. If i do it during the day I'm bound to ruin them despite waiting over an hour for them to cure/harden. Again, live the colors but the cure time is almost unbearable. Gave 3 lipsticks instead of 2 because I truly love the colors. Black is always my go to color so I think I'll have to stick with my OPI Black Onyx.

on 8/11/2017 9:49:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have this formula in two colors - Per Suede and Terra Coppa. I love both. The formulas for both apply beautifully, thick and glossy. However, I have used this with and without the Gel top coat - and they seem to last about the same for me. A few days, maybe, without chipping.

I'm also super hardcore on my hands - I don't baby them even if I have polish on them. I figure if they chip bad enough, I just remove and apply a different polish. If they chip just lightly, I will go back and touch up to extend wear, but most nail polish lasts about 2 days on my hands. I don't really mind.

I think the price range for these are a bit high, since on my nails, they last as long as any other $5 nail polish. The only reason I have a few gels are for the unique colors. Terra Coppa is beautiful.

on 8/3/2017 9:56:00 AM

I tried this several times, following the instructions perfectly. Two coats isn't enough to cover but I don't have time for 3 as this doesn't dry well. I even sat outside to get more natural light on the top coat. This polish does not cure!! You are supposed to be able to reach into your purse after 15 minutes of applying the curing top coat, I waited an hour and my nails were a mess by the time I got to work just from leaving the house and driving. Then it was a project to remove it with regular remover. Not a miracle.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

The Miracle Gel line is made up of 'safe' shades and finishes for their polishes, so I didn't bother trying anything from the line for ages as I have loads of their Xtreme Wear and Complete Salon Manicure polishes, and didn't see much in the way of 'new' shades on offer. However now I have gotten round to trying the new line, I can say that the actual product formulation is superb; you're getting the non-streaky, high-shine, plump look of a gel polish, without the need to buy the pricey heaters that you need to use to cure a gel polish. Then there's also no need to worry about the tricky removal and damage to nails that a real gel polish causes.

I'm very tough on my hands and nails, so I find that their Miracle Gel polishes don't wear much better than their regular polishes do on me - two or sometimes three days more. But the formulas are excellent quality; almost one-coaters, so smooth and non-staining. There is less mess & no streakiness, so this line is great for those who don't have very steady hands - the polish practically applies itself!! The paddle brush is excellent for my nail shape, neatly coating the nail in two strokes, whilst neatly avoiding the cuticles.

If you are not bothered about extending the wear of the polish for as long as possible, then you can use any topcoat over this line of polishes, rather than buy the pricey topcoat that goes with it. Likewise; you can use the topcoat over any polish, to help it wear a bit longer.

on 6/1/2017 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I'm not a nail expert--I just paint them at home, a little haphazardly, but I hate when my nail polish chips so I always use top coats and try to be patient when doing them.

I like this top coat a lot. It's the most hard-wearing and durable top coat that I've tried, and I've tried a lot of them (China Glaze, Essie, etc). It definitely smooths over imperfections and almost melts (?) any of the streakiness that the previous coats have. It definitely wears well for a long time, and it keeps my manicures chip-free for about a week, which is really good for someone who uses their hands a lot.

A few things I don't like about it: it takes forever to dry, and when it starts to get a bit old, some translucent threads come off of the brush and can get very messy. Nail polish in general can be very messy, so it doesn't dissuade me from buying it. I have had more than a few bottles of this, so it clearly does its job.

Would recommend as a top coat for sure, and I have friends who are big fans of the colored nail polish (which I haven't tried).

I will buy this product again.

1) Its more affordable than Essie
2) There are some pretty pastel shades and colorful pop shades ( I Usually buy this brand for summer )
3) the wand is amazing, it really coats well and gives a very nice pro manicure like look)

The only down side is that after 3-4 days it chips, I am an assistant always working with my hands.
I suppose if you were to add 2 coats and the top gel coat they suggest perhaps it will last longer... but have not tried it. The top coats seem to never make a difference anyways and I have tried plenty to say this,,, but hey everyone is different.

Hope this helps :)

ps... try the rose gold one. It soooooo pretty

Stays on without chips longer than any other brand I've tried.

Popular Polishes