Redken Smooth Lock Heat Glide protective smoother

No Image

2.7

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My HG for years and it is fantastic! I pair this with a drop or two of the Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum and my hair feels protected and smooth.

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

This is a reformulation of their "Smooth Down Heat Glide" which is fantastic! Smooth down is made with Macadamia oil which Smooth Lock (new version) is made with Almond oil. Needless to say, the new version sucks. It does not work well at smoothing my frizz and nor makes it more manageable. I does not seem to do anything.

Plain old Dove hair serum would be better than this.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is essentially the same product as Redken Smooth Down, which has been discontinued.
I found Smooth Down hard to work with back in the day, and Smooth Lock heat glide is no different.

It's too dense and syrupy to distribute evenly. I have very thick, wavy shoulder length hair, and the recommended 1 -2 pumps doesn't come close to enough for all my hair.
But because the product is SO heavy anything more than 2-3 pumps is overkill and make my hair look greasy. When using it on toweled dried hair, its very difficult to tell how much you've applied, because 1-2 drops will disappear into just one section of hair. There's no happy medium with this product.
Using it on dry hair to tame fly always doesn't work, again the texture is just too heavy and syrupy. it leaves my palms coated in it. This could be a great product if they made it less dense and easier to emulsify. For now, it's the least used styling product when I straighten my hair.

Popular Styling Products