Fake Bake Flawless DARKER Self-Tan Liquid

Fake Bake Flawless DARKER Self-Tan Liquid

on 9/22/2017 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

GREAT self tanner. Dark, glowing color (surprised that some found it not that dark). Natural looking, fades nicely, no patchy mess like a lot of them leave behind. Keeper for me. Smells good too (really)

on 7/22/2015 8:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'm fair and I have to use the very darkest products to achieve a "tan." To me this is a light product. A high-quality light product.

I hate to be the only one who thinks it's not dark, but I'm just not getting the color I get from Xen Tan Dark Lotion (original formula, not absolute luxe, not anything else in their line). The Fake Bake color guide (temporary bronze color) is quite dark, and you have to apply it carefully, but it is light color, not dark color, that develops beneath the color guide. The name "Flawless DARKER" sounds as if this would leave me deep brown, but it does NOT. However, it is an even, light-to-medium flesh color that is deeper than pale.

It comes with a really nice mitt. The plush pink side is soft and makes blending easy. I am used to having to buy application tools separately, such as the Au Courant flock sponge, so getting a useful tool with the spray is a nice bonus. It allows you to get a good application on difficult areas like feet and backs of hands.

They also include gloves to protect your palms from staining. I'm used to scrubbing my hands with bar soap, but some people are not. I use the gloves to do my legs.

The color guide makes it easy to see where you've applied the product and need to blend it. I used the mitt, and then did a careful inspection and spot blended. This really doesn't streak if you apply as you would any tanner -- carefully. With the color guide, the mitt, and the gloves on your side, you can blend like a pro.

It smells great and that's phenomenol. A nice tropical scent. Coconuts with something else. There's no DHA developing smell.

I bought it on Amazon, $13 for 6 ounces. It's not as expensive as other products I've bought in the past.

The pump has a longer-than-average hose to reach the very bottom of the bottle.

The color this produces does not look too yellow or orange. It is a good flesh tone. Realistic. But it's light. I think it might be better alternated with another tanning product.

Doesn't flake off in a weird, unnatural way. (Some do.)

Fades evenly and gradually, as a real tan would. No weird patches. Jan-Tana got me darker but it didn't fade as naturally as this.

A really great self-tanning product leaves you with a "tan" after you wash off the color guide and this leaves you with a "beige."

Although the "color guide" (temporary bronzer that washes off) is very dark, the color that's left after you shower is not deep. This is a bit wimpy for me. I'm not thrilled. Really if it weren't for the mitt and the discount and the nice scent...a factory fresh bottle of Xen-Tan Dark Lotion is what I craved but could not afford.

Liquids are more challenging to work with than well-formulated lotions. You have to work fast. Liquids are more likely to settle into hair follicles and make your thighs look covered in dots, which this did until I started using Body Butter with it. Also, if you apply this tanner right after your morning shower, you'll have more trouble with follicles. I apply at night before bed.

The pump got a little clogged and the bottle leaked a bit around the neck on my fourth time using the product. I am thinking of transferring the product to a different bottle.

It's not a dud, so I'm not going to send it back. It works temporarily as a bronzing spray that isn't orange, and it smells very nice, and isn't a streaker. But it's a natural-looking "beige," not "tan," that you get.

When I have the means, I know I will go back to a lotion from Xen Tan or as a second choice, Sun Laboratories Dark Sunsation (I buy through tanforless.com and/or Cinema Secrets, not directly from them). Xen Tan is $40 a bottle, which is why I was looking for something cheaper. This is what I get for being frugal - not enough color. If Fake Bake has a product with a higher percentage of dihydroxyacetone, I'd be willing to try that.

I don't think I'll repurchase this particular spray unless I'm alternating it with another tanner. I think a good tanning spray can be helpful over an untinted tanning product to even out color. Someone told me Fake Bake Lotion was darker. I don't know if that's true.

Self-tanners have improved dramatically in the past fifteen years or so. If this had come out in 1995, I would have loved it, adored it, raved, because the color you get IS a flesh tone instead of jaundice-yellow, and it doesn't stink. It would have made me slightly darker than pale and none of my friends would have objected to the smell. In 2015, after using Jan-Tana and Xen-Tan, it's too light for me. Still, it's better than Au Courant spray and I used to be crazy about that.

UPDATE 8.5.15: I took an empty travel bottle from The Container Store, filled it halfway with lotion, half with this liquid, closed the leakproof cap, and shook really hard. This makeshift "lotion" solved the problem of the spray building up in hair follicles.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Love this self tanner! I've tried many different brands and this is my favorite, by far. I always look for brands that claim they have a pleasing scent, and most times it's not really true. Some products I've tried smell good at first, but within a very short time the nasty self tanner smell comes through. Fake Bake Darker actually does smell good, and does not leave that self tanner smell even then next day (ok, a very faint odor if I stick my nose right up to my skin, but not noticeable otherwise). It has a very light tropical coconut scent which is noticeable during application but not afterwards.
The color result is great! I used the gloves and the mitt and application was really easy and not messy at all. This is a liquid spray, so you spray some on the mitt and then apply. Because the product is so dark in color it's really easy to tell where you have applied and if you missed a spot. The color you are after application is pretty much the same color you'll be the next day. It's a very realistic bronze tan color, and I look like I've spent LOTS of time in the sun. I have only used once so far, so I can't comment on how long the color lasts, but the packaging says once you achieve your desired color it should only take one application per week to maintain.
I can't find any expiration date on the packaging or bottle, but it does state that once opened you should use it within 10 months as it will begin to lose potency. I got a great deal on price on eBay.
Overall I couldn't be more pleased with this product and will continue to use it.

I am naturally fair skinned, not ghostly but I am pretty white. All I can say is this product is AMAZING! It gives a golden-toned tan and gets you INCREDIBLY dark. I love the spray formula because it is easy to apply to my hands especially. At Ulta this product retails for about $30 but I buy mine from eBay for around $15. I apply this self tanner 2 times a week to my body including my neck but not my face. Some people use a kabuki brush to apply to the face but I prefer to use the tarte brazilliance self tanning lotion because it is a lot healthier for your skin. The color of Fake Bake Flawless is a golden brown color, very natural looking. The first time you get this product you should apply the first and second night for the best results. After at least 8 hours of each application rinse off in the shower. The color guard will wash off but the end result will be a beautiful natural looking golden tan. I would not apply more than 2 nights a week because if you do, the color can look slightly orange but nothing too overpowering. Make sure you exfoliate and moisturizer before applications. Overall, this self tanner is by far one of the best!

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I started out with the original flawless and loved it so much that I had to try the darker version. I absolutely love this product! I self tan once a week and don't experience any odd fading, as long as I moisturize regularly(as you should with any self tanner) I notice after a week my tan is still there it just fades down very evenly. I used to get spray tanned weekly which left me looking like I had a skin disease after a few days and I'm very glad that isn't the case with fakebake! I always order off of Amazon which is the cheapest way to go. I've repurchased about 8 times and have no plans on stopping! Definitely HG for me

on 1/16/2015 2:37:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been using the Fake Bake Flawless self-tanner for over a year now, and loving it.
I recently purchased the "Darker Flawless" self-tanner and it works even better!
Because I was looking for a darker tan and I was afraid it would be too dark.
But it still gives a natural tan and I am absolutely enjoying every use of it.

Even after trying high end brands such as St. Tropez, Tarte Maracuja self-tanner, etc.
I really prefer the Fake Bake products because it is not overpriced for the quality and quantity of the product.

Totally recommend it everyone.

I haven't tried the original FB Flawless formula, so I don't know how they compare, but I really like this product. At first I was a little disappointed because after the first application a LOT of color came off in the shower, but I think maybe because I had NO base tan at all, the first application was more like a base coat. From the second application on I didn't experience very much wash off and the color built up to a very nice dark, but natural tan. I think this would look best over a natural base tan though. One thing I have to say is I am AMAZED at how evenly this blends onto your skin. I was worried about not being able to reach all of my back with the mitt, but there were NO noticeable lines at all! Also, some self tanners have made me break out on my face/shoulders/chest, but this doesn't. The scent is very pleasant at first, but after a few hours it does get a little bit of that typical "self-tanner smell" but it goes away when you shower. Just a sidenote - I have seen this at Ulta for $26, but I bought it on Amazon for $12! Over all, I am very pleased with this product.

on 10/26/2014 10:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

I'm a huge fan of Fake Bake Flawless and of course like any tanning addict I'm always looking for ways to be super dark. I've used St. Tropez's dark formula and hated how it smelled and the result was just eh. So I decided to give this a try since I like the regular formula but never felt like I was getting super dark.
I LOVE this stuff! Holy dark batman! I tan in beds about 1-2 times a week and with this on top of it, I've felt like this got me the darkest I've ever been. I tan easily, but it takes many many continuous sessions in the beds to get really dark, so this is going to help a lot! The application was pretty much the same as the regular, I spray on my body then use the mitt to spread. The color goes on noticeably darker, so make sure you exfoliate thoroughly and apply lotion to the knees, elbows, hands and ankles or you will be sorry! The formula just soaks in my skin and dries quick. I did feel like the after tanning lotion odor was more intense than the regular formula, but after a quick wash in the shower it was gone. And my tan itself didn't go down with it!! Really a truly fabulous product. For a super super dark look, apply two nights in a row (shower inbetween) and you'll love the results. I got asked multiple times if I went on vacation somewhere! From my hands, feet, legs, chest and face my color is even and beautifully bronze.
Overall, just be careful and meticulous with your application and its nearly fool proof!

on 7/13/2014 1:54:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I first tried Fake Bake Flawless last summer. I loved so many things about it, but I really wished it were darker as I really dislike having to apply my sunless tanner more than once a week. One application of Flawless gave me a very light - albeit very nice - tan. I also experienced a problem with it making me itch and giving me a slight rash on my lower back and the shins of my legs. (Random, I know.) So when I found out that Fake Bake had come out with a darker version of Flawless since then, I just had to try it. It can be found on Amazon for around $14 and retails for $29 at Ulta. Like the original Flawless, it comes with a 6oz bottle of product, an application mitt, and two rubber gloves.

One thing I should note about both Flawless and Flawless Darker is that I always get better (darker) results when I spray the product *directly* onto my skin and then use the mitt to blend it in, rather than spraying it on the mitt and then blending. It's a bit messier, but not a huge deal as long as you're moderately careful. This smells identical to the original Flawless version, applies just as effortlessly, and dries just as quickly (almost immediately, while still giving plenty of time for proper blending). Both versions of Flawless are honestly the most pleasant sunless tanners I've ever used in that regard! They apply the easiest and quickest by far. There was very very little DHA developing scent, just like with the original Flawless, so that's another huge plus.

One thing I noticed after I had applied was that the color guide looked considerably more yellow than the original Flawless did. I thought it was a bit strange, but hoped that maybe it was just the lighting. The next day however, after I had showered off the guide, I felt my tan really did look a bit yellowish. And, unfortunately, I realized that it wasn't any darker than the original version. At that point though, I remembered that I had forgotten to spray *directly onto* my skin and had sprayed it onto the mitt first instead. I also remembered that when it's TTOTM (which it was), sometimes my skin won't take sunless tanner very well. So one or both of those things could be why it turned out so light. I applied again that night (more generously and spraying directly onto my skin) and the next day I was definitely dark enough. I had a pretty solid medium tan. I could still see the yellow tint, but really I don't think it looked bad. It's tricky for me though because I naturally have yellow/golden/slight olive undertones, so a yellow tan can look icky on my skin. I usually go for a product that will give me a bronzy/brown reddish or olive tan. I try to avoid the ones that leave me too golden (turns too orange on me) or too yellowy. Everyone I asked though said they thought it looked great, including my son who is brutally honest about those things. I think part of the issue for me was that the tan I had before this one was St. Tropez Dark Bronzing Mousse, and I was used to the deep brown/bronzy/olive color that one gives me. So I think maybe that made the yellowish stand out a little more to me.

Lasting time was awesome, just as it was for me with the Fake Bake Flawless. On day 6 I could tell it had faded some and I reapplied (this time using the original Fake Bake) on day 7. It faded very evenly as well. I've applied the original Flawless this time so I could compare the two better since I hadn't used it since last summer. The original Flawless doesn't give me quite the yellow tone, but it also doesn't have a whole lot of depth on my legs while outside in direct sunlight, whereas the Darker version had pretty good depth everywhere in all lighting. The Darker version also doesn't make me itch anywhere! It's so strange... But my skin sensitivities change so quickly. Anyway, I'll be back to update once I've used the Darker again. Next time I will apply directly onto my skin with the first (and hopefully, only) application, and it won't be TTOTM so that won't be a factor.

ETA: Just tried this a second time and was even more disappointed. I sprayed directly onto my skin, and I applied very generously. Today, after leaving it on my skin for 16 hours, I barely have what I would call a glow. It took the edge off my paleness, but it's definitely not what I'd call a tan. For me, it's definitely not any darker than the original Flawless formula. I actually think the original might be *darker* on me. I honestly think I'd get more or at least as much color from one application of a gradual tanner. This seems to work well for others, judging by reviews on youtube and amazon, but I guess my skin must not react to the product as well as other people's skin does. I will try to use this up during the fall and maybe throughout the winter when I don't want a darker tan but want to take the edge off my paleness. Will not repurchase.