The Body Shop All-In-One Face Base

The Body Shop All-In-One Face Base

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Talc, Dimethicone, Silica, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Zinc Stearate, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Sclerocarya Birrea (Marula) Oil, Octyldodecyl Lactate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylparaben, Methylparaben, Sorbic Acid, Disodium EDTA, Lauryl Alcohol, PCA, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, kitties.

on 8/29/2016 5:13:00 AM

My first impressions of this powder foundation was not favourable, but after using it a few times I found that it's surprisingly good.

This product has been in The Body Shop's lineup for a very long time but I never thought to try it when I had a multitude of other powder foundations to try first from other brands. I'm also very skeptical that "all in one" products can actually be any good. The only reason I picked this up was because I was on a powder foundation kick and was desperate to find one that best matched my difficult skintone. I actually have a match in the Concealer All-in-One so I was curious if they would have a powder match for me as well. I'm fair cool yellow in tone(a bit lighter than NC15 in depth but with an almost olive-yellow tone) and match to 01 in the concealer(tiny bit darker and more yellow) and 02 in the base which is lighter than the concealer with slightly less yellow tone. It's probably between NC10-15. It matches to Laura Mercier Candleglow in Cashew.

Texture: When I swatched it on my inner wrist it felt dry and a bit chalky instead of soft and finely milled like other powder foundations. It felt like it was a low quality/poorly made powder and like it's pressed too hard into the pan. Using my natural goat hair Deka Fu-pa brush to lightly pick up the powder resulted in it kind of crumbling off as if the surface was being roughly scraped and it kicked up quite a bit of powder on the surface. Natural hair brushes(especially a dense and stiff one like the Deka Fu-pa) have a tendency to do this to powders because of the lay of the cuticles on the hairs, but the problem was particularly magnified with this powder because of how dry the powder was. It applied and blended out fine on my skin however, but I would recommend softer synthetic fiber brushes (Ecotools bronzer is my favourite for this) to pick up product so that less product is scratched up. Once it was on though it did not feel as rough and my skin felt soft as I expect it should.

Wear and finish: It's light coverage used as a powder so I like to use it on top of a sheer layer of cream/liquid foundation after concealer. It's advertised as being a wet-dry powder so you can alternatively dampen the foam sponge it comes with to apply for higher coverage, but since I have to use concealer underneath I can't attempt this as I would just rub the concealer off. On my face it's not powdery even without misting at the end of application though I mist anyway to help the powder stick on better, and feels very light on my skin. The powder held up quite well on my combo skin despite no use of a primer, I get visibly oily and the powder fades after around 4 hours, and with primer it lasts for maybe 2 hours more. When I get oily usually any foundation on my t-zone gets cakey and sinks into pores but this powder did none of that and instead faded away discretely, which is ideal.The finish is also not so matte it appears dull and did not dry my skin out. All in all a very comparable result to my other powder foundations on my textured skin with slight dark spots from healed pimples.

Packaging: Feels very cheap, because the plastic is cheap and brittle. The top of the compact is reflective fingerprint magnet. Same level of bulkiness as other compacts with similar design. A sponge applicator is included in the middle compartment under the mirror for convenient application and touch-up and the powder is on the bottom of the compact so that the mirror can stay cleaner(a nice change from my other compacts which have the sponge compartment at the bottom and the powder in the middle and inevitably results in powder getting on the mirror).

Price: It's expensive for what it is at full retail price $22 CAD and I would only buy in on sale. It's not worth the mid-end luxury makeup price because although it performs well it does not feel the least bit luxurious as it's quite a rough powder(although soft on my face).

I would recommend to try this base if you're in the market for an affordable powder foundation you can travel with and you can find this on sale, but be warned the shade selection doesn't go higher than medium/tan.

on 8/28/2016 9:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

This is the second time buying all-in-one face base from the body shop. The first time I bought the color was not a match and I hardly used it. I bought a different color but the color still does not much and there isn't much color to pick from. The product is not bad though. Lasts longer than other pressed foundations. I have very oily skin and often find it very hard to find any makeup products lasting longer than three hours. The coverage is light to medium but it does stay on for quite a bit. The packaging is not bad either. Overall, above average but isn't the best. If you don't need full coverage, it's worth trying out.

To Read all 177 Reviews, Login or Join

on 8/19/2016 8:21:00 PM

I keep returning to this one. For me, it's the best pressed powder foundation I've found, and I keep trying out different ones. This powder creates a soft matte-ness without looking chalky. Still, I'm always on the lookout for an even Better powder. ;-)

on 7/21/2016 3:47:00 PM

Okay. So I love this product.

First of all I love how The Body Shop actually accommodate for fairer skin. Fab. Thanks guys. Secondly, this powder is just great for setting foundation and giving a sort of blur effect!

However, this powder just clogs up your pores like there's no tomorrow. I wear this everyday, which means I'm constantly whacking that charcoal face scrub exfoliator on to undo the damage. But it's totally worth it. It really is.

Great match for my skin, and the compact it comes in is lovely. However, if your skin is at all dry it tends to cling to it and make it look worse. It's fine right after moisturising, but after a few hours it dries out your skin again. I just keep it at work for touch-ups rather than using it as an everyday product.

on 5/1/2016 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This product really agrees with my skin! I apply it with a kabuki brush and at first it goes on a little too matte, but then settles and blends well with the oils on my skin. I get comedones easily with powder products but not with this. It transfers easily (so no trying on clothes when wearing this!), but it doesn't oxidise unlike alot of mineral foundations. when my skin was abit too dry in winter all I do is put on abit of primer underneath to make it sit better.

on 2/14/2016 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

- Doesn't break me out.
- Wears well with good coverage.

- Sort of sits on top of my skin and looks a little funny.

I have this in #4.

on 1/22/2016 4:11:00 AM

This is a mixed review, I do love this powder foundation but no I would not use it on it's own. It works great with lighter foundations but I also use it with stronger, ones with more coverage e.g Estee Lauder DW.

This does not control oil control, whatsoever. It does however help redness. I have the shade 35 and it is wonderful for my porcelain skin and fair hair.

The price is expensive for what it is however, I love the compact, the shade and the look but I have found so many other powders which do just as much, so once my last two run out (which I got in the sale for £7, which to me is still quite expensive - original price is £14) I will not be repurchasing.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

i have oily skin and it looks great on me! At the end of the day it still looks good and i has medium coverage

on 9/2/2015 7:47:00 AM

I used to use the original All In One Face Base back in the early 2000s (in the old green and gold packaging), and back then it applied thickly and a little chalky (although that could have been my heavy-handed application) so I dismissed this for many years. I think it has been reformulated as it does not have the same overpoweringly herbal fragrance that it used to have.

I bought shade 02 which is perfect for my NC15 skin with neutral-to-yellow undertones. I apply with a brush rather than the sponge, and it applies beautifully matte but luminous. I wear this over concealer on casual days and it really looks like I have naturally good skin.

The packaging is clunky and cumbersome, I much preferred the old flat packaging with the sponge off to the side. But despite the flaws with the packaging, this has quickly become my favorite powder/powder foundation. It is so easy to apply, and because it matches my skin very well there is no obvious line on my jaw. It also does not oxidize or cling to wet patches from my sunscreen.

The Body Shop prices have really increased in recent years, and this is becoming almost too expensive to purchase when there are no sales. I do recommend this but wait until there is a 2 for 1 sale on!