Clarins Gentle Exfoliating Refiner

Clarins Gentle Exfoliating Refiner
Clarins Gentle Refiner Exfoliating Cream

3.9

Primula Veris Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Sorbic Acid, Ethylhexyl glycerin, Methylchlorosothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Salicylate, Aqua / Water, Cellulose, Isocetyl Stearate, Sorbitan Stearate, Glycerin, Nylon-11, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG – 100 Stearate, Xanthan Gum, Parfym / Parfum / Fragrance, Phenoxyisopropanol, Potassium Azeloyl Diglycinate, Disodium EDTA, Mimosa Tenuiflora Bark Extract, Sambucus Nigra Flower Extract, Hydrolyzed Ficus-Indica Flower Extract.

on 9/20/2017 8:59:00 PM

Wow. I would definitely call this gentle! This is a mild scrub in a creamy base. Almost too mild. It got the job done, but I prefer a scrubbier scrub to this. I would definitely not recommend this for anyone with allergies to scents, because even though this one is quite nice, it's very strong. The one thing I will give this is it's longevity. I used it once a week and this little tube lasted me nearly a year. That's impressive! I gave it an extra lippie for that. Even though it's pricey, I definitely got my money's worth.

on 12/8/2016 3:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Looking at the Clarins website during my lunch hour last week, I was so thrilled to read that Clarins have reformulated their Gentle Refiner with natural microbeads that I went out and bought a tube straight away.
The original Gentle Refiner was one of my favourite exfoliators until I learned about the dangers of plastic microbeads to the environment. The new version replaces the harmful plastic beads with natural cellulose. I found a small trial size tube of the original version and rather guiltily used a tiny bit a few days before my new purchase, which helps me to make a reasonable comparison between the two formulations.
The cellulose microbeads are less "scrubby" than the plastic, but the thick, creamy base of this product is crammed with them, so you still get a very good exfoliating result. I've used it 2-3 times and my skin does seem noticeably smoother and brighter afterwards. I've only needed to use a small amount each time, so although it's quite expensive (£26 for 50ml) it will last a lot longer than cheaper products that contain fewer exfoliating grains.
I love Kiehls Dermatologist Solutions Dermabrasion but I've noticed that if it's not rinsed off very carefully the tiny particles can get into the eyes, which is bothersome to me. Other natural products I've tried are St Ives (don't mind the rough apricot bits so much as the very drying base) and a Boots No 7 exfoliator (hardly any particles at all!).
This Clarins product is the best natural exfoliator I've found so far - worth the money, great for safely using 2-3 times a week. And of course it has the trademark Clarins gorgeous fragrance! This is going to be my new exfoliating staple.

on 5/1/2014 11:49:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

If you prefer a grainy scrub with larger beads then this is for you. I recently started using this product after many years of not using it. I love how well it works and my skin feels so smooth afterwards. Will definitely stick with it!

on 2/26/2014 4:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I don't think it's gentle enough. Hard to peel. After I use it, my skin is soft and it feels nice, but this feeling doesn't stay longer.

I admit it's not bad but it's not good either.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

The beds in this scrub feel too rough on the skin. It's not enjoyable to use at all. To make matters worse, the fragrance is down right overpowering. This is an ok scrub, but it doesn't really do a good job at scrubbing my nose. Just very average and lacking in performance. Will not repurchase.

I bought this to treat myself after the Christmas period. Although the price was high I believed that it would be worth it having read other reviews about the product. I had read quite a few reviews that recommended only using it once a week as it can be quite abrasive. I've found this to be true.

Up until recently I've found it has noticeably reduced the size of my pores and evened about my skin tone. However, the last time I used it I either massaged it too deeply or my skin simply reacted badly because I have been suffering with extremely dry skin around my nose and chin for the past week now. I've never experienced this before (my skin is normally on the 'oily' side of things) so I've found it quite depressing and I've felt unable to use my normal foundations.

This experience has made me reluctant to return to using the Clarins Exfoliating Refiner, which is a shame as I have quite a lot left. Hopefully my skin will return to normal soon.
I doubt I'll purchase this again, and would advice people to use it sparingly and not go OTT on massaging it as the beads are quite abrasive and can damage your skin.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Clarins almost always manages to suck me in to purchasing new products with their generous "time to choose" offers where you get large sample sizes of a range of their skin care items. And that is how I ended up trying the Gentle Exfoliating Refiner. And all I can say is that the name says it all....it IS gentle; it really DOES exfoliate well and leave the skin feeling smooth and refined. I love the results as it seems to rev up the circulation in my face without being irritating or drying. The only "con" to this product is that for some reason, it always irritates and feels like I've got some of it in my eyes, even though I avoid my eye area when using this. I think that during the rinsing off process, this somehow manages to get into my eyes, no matter how tightly I shut them. Maybe I need to try using swim goggles! (vbg) Wiping with a wet face cloth before rinsing does help, however.

All in all, a really good exfoliating facial scrub that also seems non-drying (though I always apply moisturizer afterward and it seems to work and sink in really nicely after using this product). Definitely would recommend to others and will repurchase.

on 11/2/2013 7:33:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is an okay scrub. The beads are a bit too big for my taste. I think it would suit better as a body scub. It is rather expensive so I would not buy this again. Ive tried better and cheaper ones. It smells nice tho :)
I use this mainly on my nose when I shower. But Ive noticed that my skin has become flaky and dry after Ive used it so I guess its too rough for my skin.

on 11/14/2013 2:53:00 AM

I used to use a St Ives scrub, I realy liked it at first but after a while it was just too harsh. My favorite brand is Clarins so of course I got this scrub, and I am so glad I did! It is a wonderful product. Smells very soft, it is very creamy. I like the microbeads a lot! I don`t like the scrubs that has the chemicals to `melt` the dead skin cells off, I actually prefer a `physical` scrub, and this one does the job perfectly. The first time I used it I wasn`t that impressed with it, don`t know why, maybe my skin didn`t need a big scrubbing at that moment, but I have used it a couple of times now, and it IS my favorite scrub. Yesterday my skin had a bit of makeup on, and in the evening it was a bit red and didn`t look fresh. I used the Clarins Alpine Herb cleanser (that calmed down the redness INSTANTLY, while i was massaging it into my skin!), yay, and this scrub, and my gosh, my skin felt amazing! Fresh, clean, even toned, and yes, the PORES looked a lot smaller, and that is naturally beautiful skin for me. I am in love with this product. :-)))

on 7/21/2013 12:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like this exfoliator, but I don't love it. It is a very gentle exfoliator as it says, but maybe the reason I don't love it is because I may need a more intense exfoliator. After I use it, my skin is soft and it feels nice, but it isn't the completely smooth, velvety soft that I've gotten from using other exfoliators. Recently, I used the Pevonia Botanica Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser and I think it gave me a much better effect afterwards.

The smell is pleasant and there is no discomfort or scratching on your skin when you use it. I think someone with sensitive skin or good skin to begin with would enjoy this more than someone that has normal or combination skin. Not a bad exfoliator, but not the best one either.