L'Artisan Fragrances Mure et Musc

3.2

on 8/14/2017 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I picked this one up not only because I basically collect L’Artisan fragrances, but mainly because the nose for this one is Akiko Kamei, who has three lovely Hermes compositions under his belt. Although it’s far from my favorite L’Artisan release, I quite like this delicate scent.

Mure et Musc is said to be basil, grapefruit and bergamot with middle notes of blackberry, mandarin orange and jasmine and a base note of musk. However, this to me is all blackberries, crisp oranges, and fresh cut grass, with an ever so slight hint of musk in the dry-down. What I really like about this scent is that it is not sweet, but crisp. This screams royal court to me – it’s the scent of a young Freiin Baroness picking berries in the French countryside on a warm summer day.

This is a no-frills, very pretty scent. While the notes could have married in an overwhelming way, this is a classy and subtle composition. Is it worth the $130.00 tag? In my opinion, YES.

on 4/26/2015 2:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is almost a dead ringer for Roger et Gallet's Bouquet Imperial and the Bouquet Imperial is much cheaper.

on 4/16/2015 12:09:00 AM

Mure et Musc takes me back in time. It's 1979 and I'm smelling baby doll heads and wearing some fruity kids lipgloss and playing on a musty carpet after I've taken a shower. To be honest, I don't like it.

I love it's initial top notes, candied sparkling berry/citrus with creamy musk. But that left after 5 minutes. I think I should then be smelling basil, but it's not a basil I'm familiar with. Maybe it's the oakmoss marching in (a scent I'm learning I'm not a fan of) It turns soapy, earthy, with a hint of berry. Like smelling the green cardboard edge of a pint of berries after you've just washed your hands.

I can appreciate that it's a classy fragrance. It neither screams irritatingly "notice me", nor sits in the background. L'artisan know's their stuff well and my two stars mean nothing of it's quality. But like taking my old calico dress out of storage, Mure et Musc really isn't something that fits anymore.

on 3/9/2013 9:55:00 PM

I found Mure et Musc harsh. Musc is very pronounced, whereas blackberry note is pungent and earthy. It smells more like expensive soap.

on 10/11/2014 11:27:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Mure et Musc by L`Artisan Parfumeur opens with aldehydes, clean musk, and a bright, beautiful lemon. Once the lemon calms down, the blackberry starts to shine and serves to lift the musk. Next, a green spicy note, maybe basil or tomato leaf, wedges itself between the aldehydes and musk. I really love this fragrance for the summer; for some reason it reminds me of girl scout camp during the 1980s. Maybe its the combination of blackberry bushes and late 70s sexy-clean musk/aldehydes. Fresh moustache.

on 10/28/2014 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This is a wonderful musk skin-scent that floats around in a simple but pretty aura.

It is fresh and easy enough for summer, with the musk and fruity undertones, but by the same sentiment, complex and sensual enough for the winter. Versatile fragrances are really wonderful.

It never overpowers, and leaves a gentle, bewitching trail. Even if it is a product of the 70's, it certainly isn't dated - musk is timeless, and the blackberry keeps it anchored, smooth and somewhat tart - so, never boring.

I love having this fragrance in my collection and do find myself missing it, if I'm not wearing it, similar to how I sometimes feel about Premier Figuier (which I rave about) - this is a very special fragrance and not at all one I could not have with me. It relaxes me, it soothes me, it makes me feel calm, and it makes me feel gorgeous.

Aromatic, memorable, interesting, versatile, alluring.

on 2/28/2013 1:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I adore this scent (the EDT). On me, it's berries (blackberries, to be exact) and musk--I get none of the citrus, oakmoss, or basil notes. The berry scent is dry--less juicy than, say, Trish #9--and the musk is a wonderful complement. It's very elegant, wears close to the skin (which I prefer), and isn't too light for winter or heavy for summer. If you hate florals and are looking for a subdued, unique scent, give this a try. It's well worth the (high) price.

on 6/28/2012 12:24:00 AM

I met the acquaintance of Mure et Musc tonight after a lackadaisical stroll into a fragrance shop. [Imagine how wide my eyes grew when I saw rows of niche perfumes! And to think, I had walked by this store countless times on my way to work with nary a gaze askance!] I didn't have high hopes for this one, as I have been generally unimpressed by the predictably saccharine, flat quality common to Falling In Love, Trish McEvoy, Blackberry Musk (by various etailers), and etc.

Mure et Musc is in a league all of its own, however. I am downright incredulous how the notion of a blackberry can be distilled, captured, and crystallized with such clarity and candour. There is nothing cloying in countenance nor wake, this is something I can imagine trailing behind an elegant black dress.

I am a full-blown gourmand scentlover, but Mure et Musc is a far cry from anything I would eat or drink, and it won me over.

Most enigmatic of all however, is the manner in which the Mure and the Musc fold into one another to become one single, unified note. Hours later, as I raise my left forearm to my nose to assess which would be the victor, I observe the two do not seem to take turns somersaulting upon one another as much as they rear heads in unison. In fact, through this interpretation, one is pressed to believe the two were meant to be.

continued >>

on 10/17/2012 11:17:00 AM

I read the reviews and was looking for a berry fragrance but this is not good. I don't get any berry from this it is some kind of soapy musky smell that really lasts. Why do the ones I don't like seem to last and last? It is really making me ill while I write this review. It is very expensive, but not worth it. I'd rather go to B&BW and get the Black Raspberry Vanilla.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have to confess from the start that I adore L'Artisan. Just adore this line. And a bit of history is warranted. Back in "the day" when gourmand fragrances were few and far between, L'Artisan came out with this one, and with Vanilia-- the latter giving birth to the vanilla craze. And Mure et Musc does smell fruity. Not fruity like some modern gourmands or fruity florals. There are no mystery fruits in here, no red licorice smelling notes, no cloying guava or passion fruit notes. I have picked many a blackberry in my life, and they have really little scent to them, unlike some other fruits. But the blackberry note in this fragrance evokes fresh blackberries. It just does. The musk is not animalic or raunchy, and really just grounds this in a soft shawl sense, and makes it smell alive. This is the scent of Michaelmas, when wild berries are very ripe, the leaves are thinking about starting to change color, and the mornings are crisp and softly golden. This is soft. It will not walk in the room ahead of you. It will not leave a cloud in the elevator once you exit. It smells organic and melds easily with skin.

Popular Fragrances