NARS Baalbek

No Image

on 8/25/2014 9:42:00 AM

Released Summer 2014, Adult Swim Collection

Product - In the pot, Baalbek is a warm blackened-gold with bronze and gold shimmer and a slight olive undertone. It wears brownish black with a shimmery golden/bronze finish. For my AAB/NC25 coloring and dark brown eyes, this serves well for a warm-toned black-brown smoky eye. I have a ton of gel/creme liners but this is my first NARS Eye Paint. The texture is smooth and creamy and very well pigmented. Staying power is excellent; it does not smudge or run on my sometimes oily, sometimes watery eyes.

Comparisons - Clinique Egyptian cream liner (pot form) is a darn close match. Baalbek is ever-so-slightly warmer toned with more black in its base whereas Egyptian leans a wee bit more olive. Baalbek has a shimmery gold and bronze finish, whereas Egyptian has a more metallic sheen.

Packaging - Same size as MAC Fluidlines, but with squared instead of rounded edges, and the lid has the NARS rubbery feel to it.

Overall - Love this as a warm, dark, smoky liner. continued >>

on 6/20/2014 10:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I love some Nars eye paints and really hate some of the others (mostly because of the colours). I already had Snake Eyes and quite like it both as a liner and as an eye shadow. Then along comes Baalbek as part of Nars's summer collection. It's a greenish blackened bronze/brown with gold flecks - sort of an odd colour for a summer collection except that the gold flecks and the bronziness of the colour make it perfect for a hot, sultry night (in fact, when I got this, I "let" my husband take me out to dinner at a lakeside restaurant, which was the perfect setting!). And this will be a great shade for autumn as well. I love this as a liner and smudged under my eyes. I can be a bit of a failure with gel liners but this product, applied with a smudger brush, gives a really pretty and soft eye line. As a shadow, it is gorgeous too though I do find I need to blend it out fairly quickly. And it's a great base for shadows like MAC Tempting - helps create more depth and pigment payoff.