Tom Ford Velvet Orchid EdP

Tom Ford Velvet Orchid EdP

3.8

on 2/18/2018 11:29:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I thought I would love this - I read reviews of Velvet Orchid as the approachable younger sister of Black Orchid (she's friendly and cheerful whereas BO is staring at you with smoldering eyes across the room). I adore Black Orchid but was worried about it being polarizing in the work place, so I thought Velvet Orchid would be a great compromise. There was so much universal praise that I gladly went through with the blind purchase.
Mistake. There is a really... appalling 'baby stripper' jolly rancher sweetness at the heart of Velvet Orchid that just does not vibe well with me. I'm looking at the notes on Fragrantica and scratching my head. I suppose I smell rum and honey, but neither is well-rounded and full - instead, it becomes screechingly flat bottom-shelf iterations of the notes on my skin. The redeeming part is that a lot of the obnoxious sucrose (yes, it smells like artificial sweetener) does fade in the dry down. TF took out much of the original base notes of spice/incense/amber in Black Orchid, so if you found those accords offensive, you may really enjoy Velvet Orchid. For me, Black Orchid needed that dark base to balance out the sweet floral top/mid notes.
Longevity is average as with Black Orchid. I only get 4 hours of projection until it becomes a skin scent.
TL;DR - Velvet Orchid is NOT 'lighter' than Black Orchid, it is SWEETER and cloyingly so. Velvet Orchid is not for those who absolutely love Black Orchid, because it swaps the femme fatale essence of BO for something much less niche and uniquely unisex. But if you enjoy scents like YSL's Black Opium (the sweetness gives me a headache but I know many who live by it), Velvet Orchid may be for you.
With fragrances, I advise you all to please read the detailed reviews instead of following a general average score. We all have different tastes! In fact, I was at the Tom Ford counter the other day and an older lady was talking to the SA about how much she just detests Black Orchid. I was wearing 4 spritzes of it at the very moment :P

on 8/12/2017 11:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Even though there are only a handful of scents in his line that I can get down with, I credit Tom Ford for bringing back the lost art of real perfumery which seems to have been thrown by the wayside for “easy access” dept store designer scents and watered down celebrity fragrance trends of the 1990’s to current... Velvet Orchid is one of those throwback scents to me – very vintage but not in a powdery granny way, more in the sense of bold spicy sweet complexities with notes that aren’t the typical commercially viable mix. I wouldn’t quite call TF creations niche, but they straddle the fence when it comes to subversively sensual qualities.

When I wear Black Orchid, I get lovely deeply warm orchid notes, along with some narcissus, sandalwood, roasted hazelnut, fragrantly delicious boozy rum, and suede. This is a big and bold voluptuous fragrance, quite velvety and extremely sexy. This is what you spray on behind the neck when you damn well know a night of carnality is to ensue.

I adore this scent, caveat: its bold and may not be for everyone. I suggest grabbing a sample before taking the plunge.

on 2/9/2016 11:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I am so confused!!! I love this scent at first spray. But after a few hours it feels strong, musky, unclean, an older persons scent and it lingers on clothing (not in a good way). I don't use it on a daily basis because I get turned off of it. About once a week is fine. And then I love it again at first spray...ugh...so disappointing...will not repurchase it :(

on 1/1/2016 1:30:00 AM

The only thing I like about this or find "seductive" (sounding) is the name. This perfume is ungodly strong. It was so strong I had to wipe it off with rubbing alcohol because it was starting to give me a headache, and I'm not sensitive to other fragrances (have never had to wipe one off before). It doesn't "evoke" exotic floral scents or vanilla (to me) as it claims. I get some of the suede notes but mostly musk and something reminiscent of grandma's over-the-top, old perfumes. Way too heavy. This one had to go. Definitely try before you buy.

Just put this on to go to work it's so sexy, I'm male I love it

on 9/14/2015 12:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Ran into Sephora one day and tried it on a whim. The whole day I kept smelling my wrist bc it smelled so nice. Reviews were mixed, but decided to buy a small bottle. I smell floral with vanilla on me. Kind of reminds me of Narciso, but deeper. My husband loves this perfume & every time I wear it he compliments me on how nice I smell...usually he never mentions my perfume.

One of my signature scents... My husband loves this perfume! It's so sexy and perfect for nighttime. It lingers for a long time. Oddly, my confidence just radiates when I wear this... So random, but it just makes me feel great! It's definitely one you may want to smell on yourself first because it is bold, (not AS bold as Black Orchid- which I also love, btw) but for me, it's perfect. This is a pinch sweeter than Black Orchid. Great fall/winter scent! I always love TF perfumes/beauty products- does not disappoint!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I really like this- it kind of reminds me of Dior Poison. It lasts for a long time too (which is rare for me). It's very dark and unique- definitely try before buying.

on 2/28/2015 9:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I didn't want to like Velvet Orchid (or anything Tom Ford puts out for that matter), but I fell in love with this fragrance and had to have it. Yes, HAD to have it. Since more perceptive and perfume educated people before me have so aptly described the notes of this perfume, I won't get into that. To me, this smells like dark vanilla, dark florals and a bit of booze. The mixture is dark, intoxicating and fancy pants. That's a great combo in my book.

Since Velvet Orchid is "dark", I don't know how well this will work in the summer months. I initially tried this when it was rather warm out and it just felt a bit out of place. During the few months of winter we have down here, VO works well.

I think this has been out long enough and hyped long enough that you'll know if you're interested or not. If you are, I'd suggest you first go to your friendly retailer and get a sample or seven. I hate asking for samples as a lot of SAs act like you're asking for their ATM code and for permission to sleep with their significant other, but I bit the bullet and asked for this one. While I do have a slew of perfumes, I'm not accustomed to paying over $70 for one wee bottle, so this purchase was long considered. I probably took more time mulling this purchase over than I did my car (which might speak poorly of my priorities).

While I do adore this scent, I took off one lippie not for the crazy high price ($112 for 1.7 oz) but because the staying power is a bit lacking. If I spray this like crazy on my skin, I'll knock everyone around me out for the first 30 minutes of application. I've since found a workaround - I spray this on my neck and in my hair. For whatever reason, those areas seem to hold and diffuse the scent better so I can still smell it and not knock anyone out. Your mileage may vary of course.

on 1/19/2015 9:13:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I have mixed feelings about Velvet Orchid.

At first I was impressed, the tropical florals and truffle opening was similar to Black Orchid and loved it, I thought it would basically be an easier to wear version of BO but no.

There is a boozy quality I like but after the opening all I get is a sweet, sweet, sweet indistinct floral with prominent orchid which falls apart before long.

It's not a bad scent at all, I just find it too predictable, trying too hard to be glam and fancy, not very substantial or inspired.
I'm still a BO Voile de Fleur girl.

Popular Fragrances