Bumble & Bumble Hairdresser's Invisible Oil Primer

Bumble & Bumble Hairdresser's Invisible Oil Primer

4.1

Water/Aqua/Eau, Cetearyl Alcohol, Butylene Glycol, PEG-12, Glyceryl Dimyristate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Macadamia Integrifolia Seed Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Gardenia Tahitensis (Tiare) Flower Extract, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Sodium Hyaluronate, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Dimethiconol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid BHT, Fragrance (Parfum), Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Limonene, Coumarin, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol.

on 6/27/2017 2:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I've tried a handful of bumble and bumble products, none of which have blown me away until this one. I received a sample of this, and I'm so glad I did. I never wouldn't tried it otherwise. It left my hair softer, smoother, and less frizzy. This is my first five star review (I believe), and it totally deserves it. I'm not sure what magic is in this, but if you have dry, coarse hair you need to try this. Alternatively, my mother in law who has extra fine, soft, hardly frizzy wavy hair also loved it and it didn't weigh her hair down. It is light and doesn't weigh my hair down or leave it greasy, but it really takes my frizz to almost nothing. I have 2c, somewhat coarse, frizzy hair that is fluffy, not fine, but also not thick either. I need so much help smoothing, moisturizing, and making hair soft, but so many products don't do enough or leave me greasy (low porosity hair means it's hard to find stuff that works ad the CG method did not work at all for me). I know my hair will never be completely frizz free thanks to my texture (it's just too coarse and frizzy without product), but this has made it much more manageable. I have found applying by spraying into hands and smoothing it through sectioned hair (bottom half then top half) works the best for me. As hair is drying it does go through a slightly funny phase that I initially thought was going to leave hair feeling dry and coarse, but then it dried and was smooth and soft feeling. It's made styling when wet or next day dry hair so much easier. I think I'll have to repurchase fairly often (every 2 months I expect), but it'll be worth it if the results stick around for the long run!

Edit: after continuous use, I ended up with protein overload. Hair was getting more coarse and wiry, although wasn't dry, which is how I know it wasn't a moisture, but rather a protein issue. This does have several proteins about halfway down the ingredient list. I am going to take a break and see if I can find a balance that allows me to use this daily. If I have to use it more sparingly, I'll reserve for days I plan to heat style or wear it down and curly/wavy instead of up (I typically air dry and put hair in a ponytail or bun).

Edit 2: I've been unable to figure out how to make this work. Now that my hair has all the protein it needs, this is making little frizzies pop up like crazy and hair isn't that soft. I won't be repurchasing. I'm SO sad to report that what I thought was my new HG after a month of use has become just another product in the cabinet. Although I've never before had such great results from a product like I did at the beginning, they didn't last and it was too good to be true for my difficult hair. I'm not able to use for heat styling either, as it truly leaves hair feeling sort of coarse and straw like. If you need protein or your hair Isnt bothered by it, try this! It will likely be amazing. For folks who can't do protein, this is another product that unfortunately doesn't work out. Oh how I wish companies would STOP with all the proteins in hair products. Some of us just can't use them. Reduced score to a 3. It works well, but not for my hair type.

I love this product. I have tried my fair share of leave-in conditioning products and this is by far the best in my opinion. For reference, my hair consists of 2B waves that are frizzy, dry and easily weighed down.

Bumble and bumble describes this as a multitasking pre-styler. I use it as a leave-in conditioner. It adds moisture to my hair without weighing it down and it helps combat frizz. It also makes my hair much more manageable. My waves look polished and healthy when I use this. I generally try to avoid silicones since I use sulfate free shampoos and cleansing conditioners, but I have to make an exception for this product. Luckily, I don't experience much build-up when I use this.

I often layer this with other stylers, such as mousse and curling creams, and my hair never feels weighed down or heavy with product. This is a great foundation for my hair routine. I also use it for touch-ups on really humid days. I'll apply a bit of this on my face framing layers to smooth down frizz that may have popped up during the day.

Bumble and bumble claims that this has protection from UV and heat damage. I'm not sure how to rate the UV protection since I'm typically not in the sun for extended periods of time. I haven't noticed any issues since using this product though. As far as the heat protection goes, I think this is great for blow-drying. I sometimes use this when I blow-dry my hair smooth and it leaves my hair feeling silky and healthy. That being said, I don't think this offers enough protection from hot tools such as curling irons and flat irons. I experienced some damage on my bangs while using this as a heat protectant. My hair is very sensitive to heat though - your mileage may vary.

This comes in a spray bottle and the texture is fairly thin. It's not as thick as the It's a 10 leave-in, but it isn't as thin as water. I prefer to spray the product into my hand and then apply throughout my hair. I find that I get better coverage this way.

This is a pricey product but I think it's worth every penny. I've had my large bottle (8.5 oz) for a few months and I'm not even halfway through. Sephora offers a smaller size, which is a great option if you don't want to commit to a full bottle.

Overall, I highly recommend this. It's the perfect addition to my hair routine and it makes my wash and go style look so much better. I will definitely continue to purchase this!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I've been using a deluxe sample size of this line that I got at Sephora as part of a 500-point reward. Not too keen on the shampoo/conditioner part of the package [EDIT 7.13.2015: turns out it's the shampoo side of things I don't like; LOVE the conditioner!], but boy oh boy is the Invisible Oil Primer like hair magic!

Frankly, this has been one of the best hair weeks of my life thanks to this stuff and the Terax Latte shampoo, both new introductions to my hair care routine. I incorporated them separately enough to confirm that both products are playing major roles in the improvement of the overall condition of my hair.

Speaking specifically about the Invisible Oil Primer, it's very easy to use: just squirt it even-ishly onto your hair, comb through to make it more evenly distributed, and then blow dry your hair during the magic window when it is neither too damp nor too dry. That is, if you have a magic window of dampness for optimal hair-drying (I do cuz my hair is fussy as all get out).

FYI, I've tried tons of other heat protectancts/hair creams/detangler/leave-in conditioners/other styling products, and this is definitely a game-changer. Pricy, but one of the rare products worth the price.

For the record, my hair is normally a fine, limp, straw-like mess that breaks easily and just generally fussy up the wazoo. With the addition of the Oil Primer and Terax Latte shampoo, it's been the best it's been in well over a decade. Shiny, soft, manageable, hydrated, much easier to style. I feel like I've gone back in time at least 10-20 years and am optimistic for the first time in a long time that I might actually be able to grow it out past my shoulders without major breakage. Which, yay!!!!!!

A final note: the only aspect of this product that I'm somewhat meh about is the scent. Bumble and Bumble are capable of producing magnificantly scented products (Brilliantine Cream, for example) that are also essentially instructions on how to use the product coded/written via the product's scent, which is to say: very often, how a B& B product smells tells you a lot about how it's meant to be used or the effect it will have on your hair. For me, that's one of the most brilliant aspects of their line, even though their products can be hit or miss.

EDIT: 5.28.2015: This is a GREAT product overall but I must remove a lippie. While I'm not generally all afeared of silicone-based ingredients (there are many delightful ones that have no harmful effects, wash out easily with water and/or a halfway decent shampoo), this seems to contain one of the heavier sorts (in all likelihood, dimethicone) that builds up over time faster than my shampoo can tackle and thus results in scalp issues.

To remedy, I will probably just take a break from this stuff and then pick it up again and try to figure out how better to incorporate into my routine. I love this product enough that it's worth futzing about.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

HG. H. G.

I almost never write hair product reviews on here, mostly because I am terrible to my hair and also because none of them really seem to make any sort of difference to me. I think that the one hair product, in the land of all hair products, that I have ever loved in Oribe's beach spray. UNTIL NOW. To give some context, I have naturally very thick, wavy hair that has not been cut by anyone in almost a year, save for a few pathetic trims I've given myself. If you know thick wavy hair, you know that this is slightly disastrous and that it needs frequent upkeep to save it from itself. I also use heat styling a lot and have a bad tendency to wash my hair every day. So my hair is coarse, splitting, dry, broken, you name it.

Enter this amazing product. I received a sample and, when I ran out of my other heat protectant, decided to use it on a whim. I had zero expectations, since heat sprays usually make me feel better, but I'm pretty sure most don't do much. I didn't really full understand what it was. All I know is that after one use, during which time I flat ironed my hair, my hair turned from a crispy, broken mess into a sleek, soft thing that was sort of actually attractive. What? And it's done that, every single time I've used it. Suffice it to say I bought the full sized bottle.

This comes in a spray bottle. It's very easy to use - you just sort of spray it around your head. I don't love the scent (it is very coconut-y), but it's fine. It's more of an all-purpose spray than just for use with heat styling. It detangles, smooths, and tames. It's amazing, 1,000x better than any other product I've used (and I've tried a lot of them, to no avail). If your hair is damaged and in need of a little bit of love, I HIGHLY recommend. It definitely has some weight to it, though, so if you have fine hair, this might not be the right product for you. I am so impressed with this, though, and will definitely be considering the whole Hairdresser's Invisible Oil line from them.

on 8/19/2014 12:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have fine mostly straight hair (unless it's humid) and it looks great the day of my wash/blow dry. Once I hit the 24 hour mark however, my ends begin to tangle and look ratty becuase they're so dry and my roots start to grease up causing that gross oily hair look as well as lose volume. This product is great because I've been searching for a multitasking product for a while. I needed something that could detangle my hair as well as something that could provide true moisture to my dry ends (as opposed to just coating them in cones). This spray is light enough to be a quick detangler when combing (with a wide tooth comb), and moisturizing enough to change the texture of my dry straw ends into supple silky strands. They key to the moisturizing part for me is that I follow up spraying with a 15-30 second hit from my blow dryer (concentrating where I sprayed this product) because I feel like the heat coaxes the oils deeper into my strands and I'm left with bouncy shiny healthy hair. Love everything, except for the light lingering scent which is odd because I generally love tropical/coconutty smells.

on 6/14/2014 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

According to other reviewers this is the HG of the line. I definity like it. Easy to use, just a couple of sprays on damp hair after the shower. The smell is light and fades, not overpowering. It gives hair a silky shine but somehow did not weigh my hair down. I typically do not use all the same line but with this I feel like the shampoo, conditioner and this oil primer work really well together. I would not say my hair was especially weighed down or stick straight when I dried it, but after flat ironing I could really tell the difference. I did not use any other product in my hair besides this oil before drying. (I usually use glossing cream) I did find a new admiration for my hairdresser oil though as I used it mixed with Semi-Sumo to add a little definition to my hair once dry. Oh and my hair looked great the second and third day too. I am really happy I took the plunge and got this.

This primer has a silky smooth texture and smells like coconut oil. Its a blend of six different oils, including the famous Argan oil! On wet hair its a great de-tangler and gives heat protection before blowdrying. On dry hair it can be used before straightening, curling (you will need to top up with a hairspray if you want hold). It gives uv protection so is a great beach accessory too! A 250ml bottle should last minimum of 3 months- good value for money too.

on 6/28/2014 12:43:00 AM

I think this is going to replace a lot of products for me (I'm talking to you Davines OI oil and Shu Uemura Essence Absolue). I have incredibly fine, coloured, shoulder-length hair with oily roots and dry ends. After just one use, on damp hair, I noticed that my hair was shinier but weightless. (I was pleasantly surprised because I found the Hairdresser's Invisible Oil to be a bit greasy and heavy for my hair; as is the case with most oils and serums.) Also, it smells nice but doesn't linger too much. I'm sensitive to fragrance but this one didn't bother me. I'm still trying out the shampoo and conditioner but I like them so far, too. I bought the travel sized trio but plan on purchasing full sizes for sure.

on 9/11/2017 11:06:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I finally found it - THIS is what my hair has been longing for!!!! I cannot say enough good things about this product. It leaves my hair feeling soft, silky and tangle-free with not an ounce of frizz in sight and it smells divine too. I spray it all over my damp hair before blow-drying and can genuinely say it leaves my hair looking and feeling like I've just finished in the salon. No, it's not cheap (£21.00 for 250ml here in good ol' Blighty) but my goodness, it's worth every single penny. I originally had a 60ml bottle in a gift set and hadn't even finished using it before I went out and purchased the full-sized version - THAT'S how good it is! I genuinely hope B&B NEVER discontinue this or there will be tears and tantrums in my household.

on 11/10/2016 7:16:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'm a huge leave in conditioner junkie and I think this is one of the better option out there. It leaves my hair nice and conditioned but it's very lightweight so it doesn't weigh down my hair at all. Although, my favourite leave in is still the Garnier moroccan sleek oil which works better and is cheaper so for that reason i will not repurchase.