Frownies

Frownies

4.3

Natural Weighted Unbleached Craft Paper, Dextrin (Corn) based adhesive.The paper is unbleached and colored to create a specific weight. The paper also allows the skin to breathe and maintain its normal restoration at night while you sleep. Paper can also be cut and tailored to your specific shape and needs. We have tested a variety of materials and paper is the safest and healthiest for the skin on the face.Dextrin based adhesive is hypo allergenic, Non-GMO and has been used by many gluten sensitive people. If you have sensitive skin we recommend you test the patch on your wrist the first night to see if your skin reacts in any way.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I understand that this is not a substitute for botox or anything remotely close to the results you would get with laser therapy, but, the effects of this usually lasts maybe 4-5 hours the next day. I am like the previous poster, I use these wanting them to make a difference, then forget about them for a few weeks, then give them another try. Even with repeated nightly use, the effects for me have been moderate to minimal and very temporary. That said, if you have an important day or night, a special occasion, photographs, etc. then these are good for that quick fix.

Directions say to wear a minimum of 3 hours, but optimal time of 8 hours. I have not tried to wear them longer than 8 hours to see if the effects last longer. I will try that soon and report back.

Experience with these:

1) I did not purchase the Frownies brand rose water spray you are supposed to use with these. I instead tried Andalou Rose Water Toner spray, thinking this would be similar enough to wield the same results. I found very minimal change when using these two products together. On top of that, my forehead where I pile these on broke out after more than 1 night's use of them together.

2) Then I tried just spraying bottled water on the strips. That worked better, but not great.

3) I have been using it recently with Avene Thermal Spring Water spray and find the best results with it.

YMMV.

on 5/8/2017 2:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I can't believe I haven't ever reviewed these, because I've been using them for 10+ years. I don't use them every night. I tend to go through stages of using them, (then forgetting about them for months). Then I look in the mirror and see the lines, and out come the Frownies. When I use these on my "11s" at night, my face is crease-free in the morning. The smoothed look lasts for hours, and sometimes it even lasts all day. You're not supposed to put lotion on under these because it can counteract the adhesive, however, there are serums (like Vitamin C/ Ferulic) that have never interfered with the stickiness for me. I have also successfully used Frownies with Snoxin on my skin, and the Frownies didn't budge. After I stick on the Frownie, I take a damp washcloth and press it on the paper for a few seconds. This seems to set the adhesive so the pad does not slide off. The pad is basically skin color, so it's not glaringly scary in bed. I think there is a tiny bit of menthol in the adhesive, because the stickiness smells a little minty when I dampen it. I feel a little coolness on my skin upon application, which also leads me to suspect there's menthol or some other mint in the adhesive. For those of you who remember postage stamps...Frownies are basically postage stamps that you dampen with a sponge, a droplet of water, or toner spray. You stick them on your skin, over your most lined areas, and they keep that skin flattened while you sleep. Every time you try to wrinkle your forehead during your dreams, your skin can't crease with the muscle movement. The more the skin relaxes, the less the depth of the creases. This is the same idea ,but the opposite method of how botox works. Botox freezes your muscles so they don't move your skin. Frownies glue your skin in place so your skin doesn't move with the muscle contractions. These are ingenious and they really work!

on 3/19/2017 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

A couple of years ago, when I was only 28, I started developing a vertical line between my eyebrows (just the right 1 of an 11). Oh no, I'm too young for this! It was mostly the result of frowning at idiots I encounter in my everyday life, but also from unknowingly frowning while trying to problem-solve at work.

I decided to give Frownies a try. They actually kinda work! It's superficial and temporary, but it does make a noticeable difference the next day after wearing them overnight. Cheaper and more natural than Botox (though perhaps Botox can do more in terms of 'prevention'?). And bonus, they kinda peel off with skin gunk the same way biore nose strips' do (which my skin can handle).

The annoying thing is, of course, remembering to wear them consistently and not feeling like a weirdo with patches on your face. I'm single so it's no problem now, I would have to date a man who's ok going to bed with a girl who wears patches on her face occasionally. To avoid frowning, I've also tried to care less about what idiots say and do, and try not to make facial expressions when I'm working hard on something - I just stick to swearing under my breath with a neutral face instead. Frownies is part of a multi-pronged approach.

on 2/13/2017 1:22:00 PM

Love Frownies! I've been using them off and on for a couple of years (when I remember). Here's a suggestion for when you start using them to keep the 11s away most of the day: Right after removing the Frownie, while your forehead is still smooth, dab a little Peter Thomas Roth Instant Firm-X on your 11 area. You can't really put foundation or cream over the Firm-X, but if you can go without, it'll help keep the 11s from oozing back into place. You'll also notice if you start to frown during the day; the Firm-X is tight enough that it pulls a little when you scowl. Bye-bye 11s!

I have deep 11 lines. I've had 11s since I was a kid, all that worrying and anxiety I deal with. At 42, while my face looks overall youthful and firm, the 11s give me a "frazzled, tired, stressed" look.
I wanted Botox, desperately. A girl at work (a mere 30) gets it and it gives her this odd look. I wasn't sure if it was for me.
Thankfully I found Frownies at my local Harmons.
All I have to do it gently spritz the shiny part of the brown triangle with my makeup setting spray or any rosewater and then smooth out the 11s with my fingers. I press the triangle to the area and go to sleep. I am single so nobody has a clue.
My 11s are visibly relaxed in the morning. I guess these are simply retraining my stubborn muscles. Believe me, if it is these over Botox, I am taking these! Great product and a bix will last ages!

on 5/28/2015 11:13:00 PM

I can't believe something so simple actually works. To soften the 11 between my brows, I use 1 triangle every night. Each morning the lines are smoothed. True, the effect is temporary, but with continued use, the muscles between my eyebrows become more relaxed. Basically, those muscles aren't getting a good workout because I'm using the Frownies. But here's the catch: If I stop using them, the lines come back and the muscles toughen up again. So it's worth it to me to stick a patch of brown paper to my face every night.

I have no problem removing the patch in the morning. I dab water around the edges, wait a minute, then loosen the patch. It usually comes off easily. The only issue I DO have is an occasional clogged pore which leads to a small bump, but those go away with acne spot treatment.

on 5/14/2015 12:56:00 PM

I'm three days in and I think I've found my HG for my elevens between my eyes. I was seriously considering botox, as my lines tended to make me look grumpy and tired. Even if all these little guys do is give me a 4-6 hour smooth forehead, I'll take it. And if these truly work as advertised--as in getting rid of them and retraining the muscles over 60 days--I'll be elated. Totally worth looking like a klingon or bird or UPS package at night to avoid injecting botulism into my body. Loving these!

on 3/20/2015 5:49:00 PM

Let me tell this whole concept REALLY WORKS...BUT you need to decide for yourself what is more important for you in the future to have a wrinkle less face or... to have a husband because not everyone can handle the look :D

I don't know how people can use surgical tape. It just doesn't work for me at all. It leaves the glue behind. Few times i ripped it off together with the layer of skin, so that area was red and swollen all day long.

Bandages are better. But you need to find the type that works. Some bandages are very soft and don't hold, so you are still able to frown, some donít stay put, some are the wrong shape. The best kind i tried are the ones from Target - generic Target brand (rectangular). I usually put one bandage on the top of each eye brow. I also usually secure bandages with the surgical tape, just putting a smaller piece on the top.

Now coming back to the Frownies. I got 2 packages a few years ago. I used them maybe for a week and i didn't like them. I couldn't sleep actually. I was having nightmares when i had them on. I also thought the material is rough and i stopped using them all together.
Recently, i started noticing very pronounced '11' on the pictures and got very depressed.
I started using bandages since the bad past experience, but then i decided to give Frownies another try since i still had the old packages. I actually liked them a lot this time around. I see somewhat better results than with bandages. I feel like Frownies are doing better job in immobilizing the face.

I want to try using that glued paper from an art store instead as someone here suggested since Frownies are not cheap. Otherwise, i think i will keep purchasing those designed for the forehead.

The bottom line: if you are not concerned about traumatizing your loved ones and ready to wear something that glues to your skin religiously, the results will speak for themselves

on 12/30/2014 9:52:00 AM

I've had a box of Frownies in my bathroom vanity for over a year with only a few used. The first few times I tried these I wasn't impressed as I think I stretched my skin too much and then applied to 11 area, resulting in grooves from the paper. I quit using only after a few tries. A few days ago I developed a terrible cold and cough and when I woke up in the morning after coughing all night I scared myself! I looked like I had aged years because my 11 was so pronounced from the face I was making when coughing. I applied one of these last night and the difference is amazing! I think it really helps retrain your forehead as I find I sleep with my forehead tensed up all the time. My plan is to use these every night. I really likes these now but I will say I don't think I would ever use them under my eyes. I think the thin skin under eyes is too sensitive for these as they are a little hard too remove.

on 12/21/2014 2:58:00 PM

I read about this product on a Sephora blog, they thread was about fillers. I have a deep vertical line somehwere above my left eye almost at the begining of my eyebrow, if I had another on top of my other eye they'd be the 11 people talk about (maybe, they woud not exactly be above my nose) anyway. This product is awesome, the normal frow lines patches taht I bought I way to big since they're meant to be used across the forehead so I have to cut them in two, which is great since it gives me more product LOL. They're really effective, I am not diligent using them every night but I have seen a huge improvement already, I have acne-prone skin and these patches do not cause any reaction. I think they would even be more effective if I didn't have this line in my eyebrow so the hair makes it tricky to apply the patch correctly so I some times waste patches when the application does not work. I think it has to be the right amount of humidity on the patch for it to apply perfectly. The product is worth the money :) I feel like I have to recomend it to every one that struggle with deep wrinkles.