theBalm Cosmetics How 'Bout Them Apples? Cheek & Lip Cream Palette

TheBalm How Bout Them Apples palette

4.4

on 5/7/2018 10:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I love, love, love this! It looks adorable. The colours are so cute. It works really great for a Korean makeup or aesthetic instagram style. It blends really well and the colours last well however I am super pale so blushes do tend to last to begin with. The best part about them is that I can wear them without being afraid of the blush being too much when I get a bit red. The colours are cute and look good on me as a lip colour. They are slightly powdery though so really cracked lips will show up. The blushes definitely layer well so it’s easy to change intensity of blushes. So far crisp is my favourite colour. It’s reallt good for recreating peachy looks on instagram.

I love this palette! I find that I use all of the shades at times for blush but tend to stick with the 3 lightest for regular use. I find its pretty easy to blend and decent staying power (especially if set with a powder blush). On occasion I use the red as a lip stain, its quite nice for that. I love the cheeky vibe of this product design too! My only negative would be the two on bottom left are quite bright pink/coral and rather similar and I could swap it out for a raisiny finish for more variety.

Now, let me start by saying that I LOVE theBalm. Hot Mama is my HG blush. In fact, all of their powder blushes are amazing. This lip and cheek palette, however, is absolutely terrible. First off, I would not recommend this for your lips at all. It feels a bit gross on your lips, clings to dry spots and makes everything look patchy, and it's a miracle if it lasts on your lips for 30 minutes. In terms of a cream cheek product, I'm also not impressed. It practically blends away when you put it on your cheeks, and like on the lips, the lasting power is terrible. Do not get sucked in by the cute packaging, this palette is terrible.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The Balm is one of those brands I've usually always ignored. In Australia it's pretty readily found at David Jones but the stands are always kinda hidden away and look like a hot mess. Plus the kitchy men-are-hot packaging reminded me way too much of Benefit whose products never seem to work out for me for one reason or another.

But WOW this How 'bout them Apples (which I picked up on sale for just 24$ for 6 creme lipsticks) is some seiously beautiful creme lip colours! The formulas are beautiful, rich, creamy and all classic staple lipstick colours. I doubt I personally would ever wear any of these shades on my cheeks but I think someone darker than me (or less conservative in their blush colour) totally could, and they are all shades I would and do regularly wear on my lips. This is my first The Balm product, I am impressed and will be keeping an eye on them from now on.

(And no, I promise I did not just buy this because of the picture of the pug on the front. Weeell.....ok, that might have influenced me a little bit :)

on 3/23/2017 1:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I adore this palette. It's super cute, the lip/cheek creams are super pigmented and long lasting. The ingredients are noncomedogenic (as far as I know). The packaging is light. I prefer to use it on my cheeks, as I don't like this kind of creamy texture in my lipsticks. The shades are also absolutely lovely. One thing that you should keep in mind before buying this, is that you probably won't use all the shades. They just don't all go with every skin tone.. I use Crisp and Cider mostly. My sister who's a little tanner uses Caramel. So it kinda depends on your skin tone. If you feel like you can pull them all off, go ahead! I find I can apply them best using my fingers.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I got this on a sale, and wouldn't have paid full price, but.... A couple of the shades don't work for me (with my pale aging skin I've moved to softer colors) but on the whole I use this a couple of times a week. Echoing other reviewers, cider is the shade I reach for most-caramel too. While other palettes sit unused, this one is a keeper. I've found Balm blushes to last really well. Hey Balm, if you make cider available as a stand-alone, I'm so there!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

What a cute palette! You get a lot of bang for your buck too, especially if you buy during one of theBalm's 50% off sales: 6 cream blushes for ~$24 including shipping.

I don't have much experience with cream blushes but these seem to fare well enough. I really dig how fresh and bright these look on the cheeks. The color selection is appealing and varied too, even in terms of texture, which is nice. As for using these on the lips - they are functional, but I doubt anyone's going to be replacing their lip products any time soon. You could do a cute matching cheek/lip combo with these, though.

With that said, I probably won't repurchase, but that's just because this palette has been lasting me forever to use up and I want to move on to different products!

on 1/19/2016 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I've been eyeing this for a while, and my mother decided to buy me it for Christmas. Huzzah!

I'm a huge fan of cream blushes, and these are definitely nice ones. All the colors are pigmented but very blendable, so you only need a touch on both cheeks for the full color payoff. If it's too pigmented, I usually powder on top to cover it a bit. My favorite shade is Cider, as it suits my complexion beautifully, though Crisp is pretty, too. It adds a very subtle shimmer to my cheeks.

Personally, I use these more as lip colors. This is where they fall a little short; they are VERY DRYING on the lips. That is easily solved with a lip primer, though, so it isn't terrible. Because they're also blendable, you can easily stick to a very sheer lip look, or build it up for a bold look. Caramel is my favorite for an every day lipstick, it's very subtle.

Will definitely repurchase again, though there's so much product that I won't run out for a while.

on 1/2/2016 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Cute as can be packaging! I love the name, the packaging, the colors, and the product. I follow a lot of beauty blogs and The Balm cosmetics usually falls beneath the radar in favor of MAC or Kat Von D and other mid priced brands, and it shouldn't as the products are fantastic! So, I actually saw this used on You Tuber Amy Lynn Thompson's channel when she did a Get Ready With Me look one day. She is fair skinned like me so I took note when she used this beautiful cheek/lip palette. It had been on my wish list for a long time, so for Christmas this year, I finally fulfilled this wish and picked this up from The Balm cosmetics website. This retails for $32 and it comes with 6 cream cheek/lip colors. They actually work well as lip colors too! I was really expecting powder shades and was not sure what to think when I got this and it was cremes. I rarely use creams and so I am just not as experienced with them. The amount of product you get is decent and I wasn't disappointed with this at all. The pans are adorable apple shapes and there are 6 lovely shades in here and then the shirtless cowboys inside are droolworthy too. Look at those abs! No, I mean look at how pretty those cheek colors are... yeah, that is what I meant. The shades are great for my lighter skin, but there are some vibrant darker colors in there too like Cobbler. I used that as a lip color and it's very pretty and well pigmented. The colors apply easily and go on smoothly and don't streak or leave a sticky residue. I've just been using my fingers and the warmth of my hands to pat this into my skin. I don't know how well they would work with a sponge applicator or brush. With fingertips, they blend well and feel silky and creamy and once you get them on they dry and feel like regular blush. You can't tell they are creams once they are applied. I wasn't sure I was going to like this since it isn't powders, but now that I have been using it everyday for almost 2 weeks, I am really happy with this purchase and really enjoy this palette. I love that it does double duty with the lips and cheeks. It works well for the lips too. I've applied it with my fingers and a lip brush, either way it works great. I love pulling out this fun packaging and I enjoy using the product and most of all, it looks great on me and enhances my beauty so it's a win!

on 4/25/2015 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this because the color lasts and all of the colors look good on.I like having a variety of blush colors. As long as they look good on I like to pair my lipstick and my blush- not super matchy matchy but complimentary. As a result I have a lot of blushes. These work as well for me a Bobbie Brown cream blushes and I have a wide assortment of good colors for not a lot of money.