TheBalm How 'Bout Them Apples? Cheek & Lip Cream Palette

TheBalm How 'Bout Them Apples? Cheek & Lip Cream Palette
TheBalm How Bout Them Apples palette

4.6

Now, let me start by saying that I LOVE theBalm. Hot Mama is my HG blush. In fact, all of their powder blushes are amazing. This lip and cheek palette, however, is absolutely terrible. First off, I would not recommend this for your lips at all. It feels a bit gross on your lips, clings to dry spots and makes everything look patchy, and it's a miracle if it lasts on your lips for 30 minutes. In terms of a cream cheek product, I'm also not impressed. It practically blends away when you put it on your cheeks, and like on the lips, the lasting power is terrible. Do not get sucked in by the cute packaging, this palette is terrible.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This palette has the cutest packaging -- the photo above doesn't do it justice. There are a variety of colors, both warm and cool shades in varying intensities and depths, so there is something in there for everyone. That is usually the strength and the weakness of palettes: you're sure to find at least one shade that works, but then you're left with others you can't use, and this palette is no exception.

Sadly only one of these works easily on my fair skin (Cider), but it works like a dream. I LOVE it. Application is smooth, and these blend easily and last well on me. I can get limited use out of a couple more of the colors if I use them as lip colors. Though this blends well on skin, if applying to lips you will need to moisturize your lips well before application because it's not as blendable on lips.

I gave it four stars only because it has so many shades I can't use. For example just as Cobbler and others are completely unwearable for me, I'm sure a girl with lovely dark skin would find Cider and some of the other shades to be useless to her. The person who would probably be able to get the most use out of the greatest number of these colors would have a medium skin tone.

I bought this palette used on Facebook with two of the colors barely swatched for $15 shipped. Now that I know there is only one color I can wear, I would not pay $32 for this palette -- and I am almost out of my color, sadly. However I said I would buy it again because I would, IF TheBalm would sell the colors separately. If I could get a full generous size of Cider I'd easily pay $25-$30 for it. They really need to offer these separately because excellent creme blushes aren't easy to find.

Overall this is a fun palette with some of the cutest packaging I've ever seen.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

What a cute palette! You get a lot of bang for your buck too, especially if you buy during one of theBalm's 50% off sales: 6 cream blushes for ~$24 including shipping.

I don't have much experience with cream blushes but these seem to fare well enough. I really dig how fresh and bright these look on the cheeks. The color selection is appealing and varied too, even in terms of texture, which is nice. As for using these on the lips - they are functional, but I doubt anyone's going to be replacing their lip products any time soon. You could do a cute matching cheek/lip combo with these, though.

With that said, I probably won't repurchase, but that's just because this palette has been lasting me forever to use up and I want to move on to different products!

on 1/19/2016 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I've been eyeing this for a while, and my mother decided to buy me it for Christmas. Huzzah!

I'm a huge fan of cream blushes, and these are definitely nice ones. All the colors are pigmented but very blendable, so you only need a touch on both cheeks for the full color payoff. If it's too pigmented, I usually powder on top to cover it a bit. My favorite shade is Cider, as it suits my complexion beautifully, though Crisp is pretty, too. It adds a very subtle shimmer to my cheeks.

Personally, I use these more as lip colors. This is where they fall a little short; they are VERY DRYING on the lips. That is easily solved with a lip primer, though, so it isn't terrible. Because they're also blendable, you can easily stick to a very sheer lip look, or build it up for a bold look. Caramel is my favorite for an every day lipstick, it's very subtle.

Will definitely repurchase again, though there's so much product that I won't run out for a while.

on 1/2/2016 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Cute as can be packaging! I love the name, the packaging, the colors, and the product. I follow a lot of beauty blogs and The Balm cosmetics usually falls beneath the radar in favor of MAC or Kat Von D and other mid priced brands, and it shouldn't as the products are fantastic! So, I actually saw this used on You Tuber Amy Lynn Thompson's channel when she did a Get Ready With Me look one day. She is fair skinned like me so I took note when she used this beautiful cheek/lip palette. It had been on my wish list for a long time, so for Christmas this year, I finally fulfilled this wish and picked this up from The Balm cosmetics website. This retails for $32 and it comes with 6 cream cheek/lip colors. They actually work well as lip colors too! I was really expecting powder shades and was not sure what to think when I got this and it was cremes. I rarely use creams and so I am just not as experienced with them. The amount of product you get is decent and I wasn't disappointed with this at all. The pans are adorable apple shapes and there are 6 lovely shades in here and then the shirtless cowboys inside are droolworthy too. Look at those abs! No, I mean look at how pretty those cheek colors are... yeah, that is what I meant. The shades are great for my lighter skin, but there are some vibrant darker colors in there too like Cobbler. I used that as a lip color and it's very pretty and well pigmented. The colors apply easily and go on smoothly and don't streak or leave a sticky residue. I've just been using my fingers and the warmth of my hands to pat this into my skin. I don't know how well they would work with a sponge applicator or brush. With fingertips, they blend well and feel silky and creamy and once you get them on they dry and feel like regular blush. You can't tell they are creams once they are applied. I wasn't sure I was going to like this since it isn't powders, but now that I have been using it everyday for almost 2 weeks, I am really happy with this purchase and really enjoy this palette. I love that it does double duty with the lips and cheeks. It works well for the lips too. I've applied it with my fingers and a lip brush, either way it works great. I love pulling out this fun packaging and I enjoy using the product and most of all, it looks great on me and enhances my beauty so it's a win!

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I really like these cream blushes, but to be honest I only use about two or three of them, and I haven't even used those in a long time. Caramel is to die for though, and so is Cider and Candy. The rest aren't used, but I would recommend this if you adore cream blush. It is worth the money even though I wouldn't rebuy it.

on 4/25/2015 2:23:00 PM

6 blushes, for less than $10 a pop, I think that's quite worth it. I had to purge all my old cream blushes from MAC that were too sticky to feel comfortable on the cheeks.

The colours are all wearable on my skintone, although I am NC10, I do not find the bright colours too crazy, and I usually wear these UNDER my face makeup (as I wear sheer foundation and do not usually powder.) It is a lovely flush and the packaging design is cute.

I also love that The Balm is cruelty free.

Only thing I'm a little iffy on is the cardboard as it will not stand up as well as plastic/tin/metal in the end, however I am not planning on bringing this around so it'll stay in my makeup collection/vanity.

on 8/5/2014 4:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have a sample of this in the color Pie and I really liked it. It is a bright coral pink and very flattering. I used the Elf small stipple brush and dipped it in the pan and applied to the apples of my cheeks and blended out. The color is natural and the pigment stayed. I think I would buy these blushes if I didn't have any other cream-type blushes to choose from. However, when compared to some of my others that I love -- it really is a drier texture vs. creamy -- and so I probably won't purchase these.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The Balm is one of those brands I've usually always ignored. In Australia it's pretty readily found at David Jones but the stands are always kinda hidden away and look like a hot mess. Plus the kitchy men-are-hot packaging reminded me way too much of Benefit whose products never seem to work out for me for one reason or another.

But WOW this How 'bout them Apples (which I picked up on sale for just 24$ for 6 creme lipsticks) is some seiously beautiful creme lip colours! The formulas are beautiful, rich, creamy and all classic staple lipstick colours. I doubt I personally would ever wear any of these shades on my cheeks but I think someone darker than me (or less conservative in their blush colour) totally could, and they are all shades I would and do regularly wear on my lips. This is my first The Balm product, I am impressed and will be keeping an eye on them from now on.

(And no, I promise I did not just buy this because of the picture of the pug on the front. Weeell.....ok, that might have influenced me a little bit :)

on 3/23/2017 1:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I adore this palette. It's super cute, the lip/cheek creams are super pigmented and long lasting. The ingredients are noncomedogenic (as far as I know). The packaging is light. I prefer to use it on my cheeks, as I don't like this kind of creamy texture in my lipsticks. The shades are also absolutely lovely. One thing that you should keep in mind before buying this, is that you probably won't use all the shades. They just don't all go with every skin tone.. I use Crisp and Cider mostly. My sister who's a little tanner uses Caramel. So it kinda depends on your skin tone. If you feel like you can pull them all off, go ahead! I find I can apply them best using my fingers.