TheBalm How 'Bout Them Apples? Cheek & Lip Cream Palette

on 8/18/2014 10:50:00 AM

Cider - light pinkish peach

Cobbler - candy apple red

Pie - muted pinkish red

Crisp - warm coral with golden frost

Candy - bubblegum pink

Caramel - muted orange-brown

Product - Smooth, moist, creamy, soft texture. I use fingers to apply to my cheeks, and a lip brush for lips. As cheek color, they are very easy to work with and blend and the pigmentation is good. It's not a creme-to-powder formula; this definitely stays more dewy on the skin. As lipcolor, the pigmentation is sheer to moderate like a creamy lip stain, and they feel buttery and dry down to a matte finish without feeling drying on my lips. I wasn't expecting these to stain my lips but they do, and surprisingly evenly. Most of the shades are too light for my preference for use as lipcolor so I typically top it with a darker lipcolor. Be sure not to leave this in a hot car! I mail-ordered this during July and the cremes were starting to slump to one side :)

Comparisons - The texture of these lip/cheek cremes is slightly softer, more buttery than Becca's and Stila's.

Packaging - Cardboard paper palette (like Stila is fond of) with a very generously sized mirror in the lid plus campy artwork on the cover and interior. I'm not sure I understand what the eye-candy men besides each pan of color have to do with the apples theme - but I'm not objecting, mind you. Stays shut with hidden magnets, so you can toss the very-snug matching sleeve it comes in. The overall size of the palette is pretty large. I bought this for travel purposes so it's a bit larger than I would have liked. Pans are 36mm, for those interested in depotting.

Overall - I really like this color assortment, as they're all very useful shades for me (AAB/NC25). continued >>

on 2/8/2015 7:30:00 PM

Love this palette for my cheeks and use it daily! Even if paying the full price ($32 at Kohl's, I got it for $22 using $10 Kohl's cash toward it), I feel it is still worth it because of the amount and variety of product you get, not to mention the quality.

I am able to wear all but two of the shades (cider-too pale for my skin color, and crisp-too much sparkle for my mature skin). They are very pigmented and find that I have to use a light hand when applying ---I lightly dab my elf small-stipple brush into product and gently stipple the color on cheek where I want it placed then blend using light circular motions. The color applies evenly and looks very natural on my cheeks. They also have good wear time---much longer than any of my powder blushes.

I love the packaging--very hard cardboard with magnetic closure and super-fun illustrations that put a smile on my face every morning when using it. Inside the top cover is an extra large mirror.

I have not even tried this palette on my lips so have absolutely no comments about this product in that regard, but as cream blushes....two huge thumbs up!

on 9/22/2014 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I rarely repurchase makeup color palettes (so many palettes so little time) but I am buying at least one more of How Bout Them Apples. I absolutely love every color in this palette for both my lips and my cheeks. The colors are all on the neutral end of the spectrum, but they work beautifully with my "warm" tones. The colors are Cider (sheer light coral-nude), Cobbler (bright sheer ruby red), Pie (bright matte coral pink), Crisp (shimmery apricot), Candy (matte salmon), and Caramel (sheer matte red-bronze). None of the colors have that blue undertone that makes my skin look gray. They all add flattering color, and they are much more vivid on skin than in the pans. Each color has a sheer, smooth formula that keeps lips hydrated but is not too greasy for cheeks.

The packaging is definitely cute. Every time I see the shirtless cowboys next to the color pans, I giggle. There's nothing like makeup with a sense of humor for a quick pick-me-up, if you ask me. (I have a crush on "Pie"). Even without the hunks of burnin love, the amount of product in the palette is impressive, and a little goes a long way. I'll be enjoying this palette for as long as it's available!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The Balm is one of those brands I've usually always ignored. In Australia it's pretty readily found at David Jones but the stands are always kinda hidden away and look like a hot mess. Plus the kitchy men-are-hot packaging reminded me way too much of Benefit whose products never seem to work out for me for one reason or another.

But WOW this How 'bout them Apples (which I picked up on sale for just 24$ for 6 creme lipsticks) is some seiously beautiful creme lip colours! The formulas are beautiful, rich, creamy and all classic staple lipstick colours. I doubt I personally would ever wear any of these shades on my cheeks but I think someone darker than me (or less conservative in their blush colour) totally could, and they are all shades I would and do regularly wear on my lips. This is my first The Balm product, I am impressed and will be keeping an eye on them from now on.

(And no, I promise I did not just buy this because of the picture of the pug on the front. Weeell.....ok, that might have influenced me a little bit :)

on 1/19/2016 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I've been eyeing this for a while, and my mother decided to buy me it for Christmas. Huzzah!

I'm a huge fan of cream blushes, and these are definitely nice ones. All the colors are pigmented but very blendable, so you only need a touch on both cheeks for the full color payoff. If it's too pigmented, I usually powder on top to cover it a bit. My favorite shade is Cider, as it suits my complexion beautifully, though Crisp is pretty, too. It adds a very subtle shimmer to my cheeks.

Personally, I use these more as lip colors. This is where they fall a little short; they are VERY DRYING on the lips. That is easily solved with a lip primer, though, so it isn't terrible. Because they're also blendable, you can easily stick to a very sheer lip look, or build it up for a bold look. Caramel is my favorite for an every day lipstick, it's very subtle.

Will definitely repurchase again, though there's so much product that I won't run out for a while.

on 8/5/2014 4:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have a sample of this in the color Pie and I really liked it. It is a bright coral pink and very flattering. I used the Elf small stipple brush and dipped it in the pan and applied to the apples of my cheeks and blended out. The color is natural and the pigment stayed. I think I would buy these blushes if I didn't have any other cream-type blushes to choose from. However, when compared to some of my others that I love -- it really is a drier texture vs. creamy -- and so I probably won't purchase these.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This palette has the cutest packaging -- the photo above doesn't do it justice. There are a variety of colors, both warm and cool shades in varying intensities and depths, so there is something in there for everyone. That is usually the strength and the weakness of palettes: you're sure to find at least one shade that works, but then you're left with others you can't use, and this palette is no exception.

Sadly only one of these works easily on my fair skin (Cider), but it works like a dream. I LOVE it. Application is smooth, and these blend easily and last well on me. I can get limited use out of a couple more of the colors if I use them as lip colors. Though this blends well on skin, if applying to lips you will need to moisturize your lips well before application because it's not as blendable on lips.

I gave it four stars only because it has so many shades I can't use. For example just as Cobbler and others are completely unwearable for me, I'm sure a girl with lovely dark skin would find Cider and some of the other shades to be useless to her. The person who would probably be able to get the most use out of the greatest number of these colors would have a medium skin tone.

I bought this palette used on Facebook with two of the colors barely swatched for $15 shipped. Now that I know there is only one color I can wear, I would not pay $32 for this palette -- and I am almost out of my color, sadly. However I said I would buy it again because I would, IF TheBalm would sell the colors separately. If I could get a full generous size of Cider I'd easily pay $25-$30 for it. They really need to offer these separately because excellent creme blushes aren't easy to find.

Overall this is a fun palette with some of the cutest packaging I've ever seen.

I just ordered this from thebalm.com (lol) and the price was pretty high but the packaging is super cute and the colors give your cheeks a nice flush and your lips a fuller look. I usually don't like cream blushes but this is much different. Once it is applied it feels very smooth and the lip palette colors are very durable and will last all day! 😊

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

What a cute palette! You get a lot of bang for your buck too, especially if you buy during one of theBalm's 50% off sales: 6 cream blushes for ~$24 including shipping.

I don't have much experience with cream blushes but these seem to fare well enough. I really dig how fresh and bright these look on the cheeks. The color selection is appealing and varied too, even in terms of texture, which is nice. As for using these on the lips - they are functional, but I doubt anyone's going to be replacing their lip products any time soon. You could do a cute matching cheek/lip combo with these, though.

With that said, I probably won't repurchase, but that's just because this palette has been lasting me forever to use up and I want to move on to different products!

on 7/3/2015 1:27:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Can't say enough about this palette. This gives me all the colors I need, and blends very well on my skin. It's not at all sticky. I actually put some on my finger and was surprised how slick it was. Dries fast, but doesn't turn chalky or powdery, you just don't feel oily. I would be really p****d off if I couldn't buy this anymore. I use every color in the palette. One of them (I think it's Pie or Cobbler) has some shimmer, but not to much. Enough to give a certain sheen effect.