TheBalm How 'Bout Them Apples? Cheek & Lip Cream Palette

TheBalm How Bout Them Apples palette

4.8

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

RAD. This palette is so great. I am kind of jumping the gun as I've only used three of the colors so far, but I just wanted to report that the colors work wonderfully as cream blushes...super blendable and pigmented (for me, anyway--NC10ish here). I have a feeling this might become my default/HG blush option, as I use a heavy coverage cream foundation (WnW Coverall) that likes to grip onto powder blush and not blend (even with some loose powder applied on top of the foundation). I haven't used it on my lips and probably won't because I'm an l/s hoarder already :) I got this from Hautelook, and even though they took 6 weeks (!) to ship, it was well worth the wait!

For a fan of cream blushes like me this palette is love at first sight! The price is pretty high but I don't regret this expense at all, the palette is so much fun to use with the cute design, the blushes are very easy to apply and the colours are very fresh and pretty, they make me look young and radiant. I think I will use at least five of the six shades, the brighter coral-pink shades as blushes and the darker reds on the lips...so this is worth the money.

on 8/18/2014 10:50:00 AM

Cider - light pinkish peach

Cobbler - candy apple red

Pie - muted pinkish red

Crisp - warm coral with golden frost

Candy - bubblegum pink

Caramel - muted orange-brown

Product - Smooth, moist, creamy, soft texture. I use fingers to apply to my cheeks, and a lip brush for lips. As cheek color, they are very easy to work with and blend and the pigmentation is good. It's not a creme-to-powder formula; this definitely stays more dewy on the skin. As lipcolor, the pigmentation is sheer to moderate like a creamy lip stain, and they feel buttery and dry down to a matte finish without feeling drying on my lips. I wasn't expecting these to stain my lips but they do, and surprisingly evenly. Most of the shades are too light for my preference for use as lipcolor so I typically top it with a darker lipcolor. Be sure not to leave this in a hot car! I mail-ordered this during July and the cremes were starting to slump to one side :)

Comparisons - The texture of these lip/cheek cremes is slightly softer, more buttery than Becca's and Stila's.

Packaging - Cardboard paper palette (like Stila is fond of) with a very generously sized mirror in the lid plus campy artwork on the cover and interior. I'm not sure I understand what the eye-candy men besides each pan of color have to do with the apples theme - but I'm not objecting, mind you. Stays shut with hidden magnets, so you can toss the very-snug matching sleeve it comes in. The overall size of the palette is pretty large. I bought this for travel purposes so it's a bit larger than I would have liked. Pans are 36mm, for those interested in depotting.

Overall - I really like this color assortment, as they're all very useful shades for me (AAB/NC25). continued >>

on 8/5/2014 4:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have a sample of this in the color Pie and I really liked it. It is a bright coral pink and very flattering. I used the Elf small stipple brush and dipped it in the pan and applied to the apples of my cheeks and blended out. The color is natural and the pigment stayed. I think I would buy these blushes if I didn't have any other cream-type blushes to choose from. However, when compared to some of my others that I love -- it really is a drier texture vs. creamy -- and so I probably won't purchase these.