Smashbox Always Sharp Waterproof Kohl Liner

Smashbox Always Sharp Waterproof Kohl Liner
Always Sharp Waterproof Kohl LinerAlways Sharp Waterproof Kohl LinerAlways Sharp Waterproof Kohl Liner

2.7

on 10/24/2016 1:21:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I got this in PennyLane (copper/brown) in a Sephora Favorites kit and it took me a while to open it up and use it because I usually use black liquid liner.

However if I'm going for a more natural soft look then this is a great pencil to use. It doesn't smudge out super easily, but the line is not super defined either. It has a little bit of glitter in it. The colour is a nice medium brown colour that adds a nice depth to your eyes. It is NOT good for tightlining, no colour deposits and it is a bit irritating. On the eyelid it's super smooth and easy to line your eye with.

The pencil itself... it's nice because it is always sharp, however I find it's a little too small and stubby to be comfortable. I wish I could make it a little bit longer. It's always the same length, and everytime you put the cap back on and twist it sharpens the pencil again.

I don't wear it regularly so I haven't ran out of product yet and the tip hasn't ever fallen off on me. I probably wouldn't repurchase but I didn't mind wearing it.

And the search for the perfect eyeliner pencil/crayon that goes on smooth and does not smudge and also doesnt make my eyes water continues...
I had high hopes for this product, specially given the $20+ price. The Sephora sales rep told me it is great for sensitive eyes and that it absorbs moisture if your eyes tend to water (which mine do with almost all eyeliners and mascaras)
He also told me that it would not smudge.

I bought it and tried it:

Pros:
Rich black color
goes on smooth

Cons:
Made my eyes burn and water. the opposite of what I was looking for
smudged all over my my eyelids halfway through the day,
the sharpening feature in the cap seems to waste a great deal of product.
I used this product for only 2 weeks and it was gone! (IDK if mine broke or what since you cant extend the crayon, only sharpen the tip by rotating the cap.

I would not buy this again nor would I recommend to others. I think I will go back to my tried and true drug store eyeliner Maybeline Unstoppable eyeliner which is 1/4 the price and works A LOT better and you get more crayon.

on 4/7/2016 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I like these way better than the 3D liners. I have Royal, Sumatra, and Raven, all from a LE set with two 3D liners. The 3Ds smudge all over, but these stay put. Raven and Sumatra are also opaque in one swipe, which is great! Royal is less impressive and breaks easily, but the color is nice. In general I don't like the packaging. It feels like I'm wasting a lot of product that I could be using, and since it's not a wood pencil with a core of product there's less to work with anyway. Would not buy again, but I'm not sorry I got these. They stay where I put them and the colors are rich.

ETA: After about two months of moderate use, both Sumatra and Raven have bitten the dust. Even though these perform well I would absolutely not buy them again. For the money I can get way more product somewhere else! Originally 4/5, now 3/5.

on 4/5/2016 7:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

LADIES!! Don't throw this out before trying this tip!
If the liner breaks off, put the cap back on and twist until you hear a click, stop then twist again until you hear another click. Untwist the top and ta-da the liner had popped back up again. You may have to try a couple more twists but I did only two and it worked!! Too bad this is my second liner I had to buy to figure this out. I threw out my first one :-/
Hope this helps someone!! xoxo

on 1/18/2016 7:47:00 PM

Oh my am I sad to have to leave this eyeliner a bad review. I got a full sized sample of this liner in Sumatra (brown) in a box of eyeliners from Sephora and initially, I loved it. It was such a beautiful brown color, easy to apply, and stayed all day long. The self-sharpening cap was great too, and worked really well. However, this liner turned out to be a major disappointment because 1. The tip falls off and it's really hard to get more product to advance and 2. There's just not a lot of product in the pen. It is not worth the $20+ I paid for it if it only lasts like a month and a half.

on 1/5/2016 2:15:00 PM

I initially liked this product a lot -- applies easily, nice color, convenient in-cap sharpener. However, a few things conspired to keep me from getting another when this one ran out.

The worst is how fast it ran out! I don't think I've had any cosmetic last such a short time. Three months, and that's not using it every day, and only using to line my inside rims (not as traditional over-lash eyeliner) except on a few occasions. I rated the price accordingly.

It also did not last all day, and had minor smudging issues. Finally, it slightly irritates my eyes.

I almost love it, and would keep using it if it didn't run out so ridiculously fast... but it does.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Incredible colors! Sad to see low ratings, I had this in Raven (A deep matte black, I think I got it abt 3x repurchased); Penny Lane (a medium brown w metallic sheen & iridescent glitter); & Sumatra (brown, voted "best brown eyeliner by Allure magazine"). I had kept buying Raven even though it lasts about 2 months coz I liked the waterproofness & I generally considered the 2 mos. worth of product to be fair considering that 1 of my other fave black liners (kat Von d Tattoo Trooper liner pen) lasts about the same amount of time for similar $$. If you break off the tip you can advance it but I don't remember how. The tip is like biting into a brand new eyeliner I swear it's so swank. I love it. But def expensive it's a what I consider a luxury item. This is very waterproof on my oily lids/rheumy eyes. Smashbox needs to put on their site how to advance more lead if u press too hard & the tip breaks which yes it's possible to do. The colors of these liners are amazing. I'll keep repurchasing but I'd like to see it come w a set of instructions lol it would be helpful.

I loved this liner until..............the tip of the pencil broke off and it was impossible to get the rest of the product to advance! I had this for maybe 8 weeks! At $20 for a pencil, that is not worth it. I loved the line and the color but for so little use-shame on Smashbox!

on 10/17/2014 7:59:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I hate this. The liner is average, it's not very "sharp" and there's hardly any product. No way will I buy this again.

on 9/29/2014 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Surprised by all the negative reviews, because I love this product. I bought two of these liners about 2 weeks ago on impulse. I purchased French Navy and Sumatra (rich dark brown), then came home and read the reviews on this liner and thought I'd better hold on to my receipt! Yikes! All negative, pretty much, and a low rating to boot. Started using the pencils immediately, and have since fallen in love. I think these liners are incredible! I think I am most shocked at the fact that they are by Smashbox, because in the past I have had less than good experiences with Smashbox products. The only thing I have had to get used to about these automatic pencil liners is the fact that the cap needs to be twisted off instead of tugged off like most pencil eyeliners, but I think I am finally getting the hang of it. Besides that, I like that the pencil point is always sharp- so I get to draw a nice, thin line and thicken it where it needs to be with no problem. The pencil is soft so it does not tug on my wrinkly eyelids, and it sets really quickly. I always use eye primer or eyeshadow, first, and then line my eyes afterwards; and I have had no problems with this liner migrating, smearing, smudging, fading or disappearing.

EDIT: Well, I have to agree with previous reviewers and change my rating on this. The pencil's performance is very good, and I love the self-sharpening concept.
BUT- for $20, there is hardly any product inside this over-sized applicator. This is one of the longest pencils I own, but the product inside contains less than an inch of product! I have had mine less than a month, and the pencil will not advance anymore. Makes me believe that I have run out of product already, and for the amount of times I have used this, I find it ridiculous that there is no more product left! It is appalling to spend so much money for this and to have it run out in such a short period of time! Shame on Smashbox! I knew this seemed too good to be true. =o(

ANOTHER UPDATE on 10-3-16: NEVER buying this crap again! Over $20 for an eyepencil that is made so cheaply that you are *lucky* if you actually get ONE use from it! The last few black ones (I was stupid enough to buy) broke right from the get-go, and I had to throw them away! Once the tip breaks off, you can't advance it like a normal twist up pencil. Smashbox should have fixed this glitch by now because I am sure they are aware of it. Avoid, avoid, AVOID at all costs!