MAC #159 duo fiber blush brush

MAC #159 duo fiber blush brush

3.8

I originally bought this brush to use with Matchmaster foundation. While it gave a nice finish it was a bit too small for me to use it like that daily (too time consuming) so then I started using it for my highly pigmented blushes which it worked great for! I'm fair so when I use a bright blush I like to have precise placement instead of using a larger fluffy blush brush or I look clownish. I had the brush for about 3 months and washed it maybe 5-6 times when I noticed the white bristles were clumped together and the black bristles were mostly broken off and short leaving me with streaky blush application. I brought it back to the store today and asked the MUA about it and she suggested I take it home and wash it again because it might have product or soap stuck in the bottom of the brush therefore making the white bristles clumpy, but I honestly didn't believe that was the problem so I returned it. I wash my brushes very carefully and thoroughly and since I used it mainly for blush I doubt there was much product or soap stuck in it. I believe mine was just defective because she showed me hers that was obviously well used and it still had long white and black bristles with no clumps. Although the brush was good for blush or foundation application I just don't feel like the quality was there for the $35 price tag.

on 11/10/2014 11:16:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I've been on the search for a good highlight brush for so long. I've tested several and am finally completely satisfied with the MAC 159. The size is just perfect for placing highlight across the tops of the cheeks, chin, nose, and forehead. I have only used this brush with powder products, but I'm not sure how effective it might be with creams/liquids.

Pros:
* perfect size for highlighting
* applies color subtly and softly
* very precise with placement
* blends out color well
* durable (through regular washing and daily spot cleaning)
* super pretty
* unique shape

Cons:
* kind of expensive

on 7/22/2014 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I got this brush on a whim. I usually use the 188 for pigmented blushes but this one was recommended to me by the MUA at the MAC store. He said it was one of his top 3 fave brushes and now that I've had it for about a month, I can understand why.
The 188 was great because it a small duofibre brush which picked up a tiny bit of product and helped with blending. This 159 is better because of its flat shape, so you have more control, as the bristles are shorter and it's a bit more dense, but you still have the benefit of the duofibre design. I hope this never gets discontinued!

on 5/31/2014 10:48:00 PM

I feel privileged to be the first to review this little brush... Im still trying to see which is its best use, but i think its so multifunctional that you can use it for its intended purpose blush application, and besides throw it for highlight, or even contour.... I can actually see it as a concealer blender brush as well... In my opinion the most exciting new brush Mac has come with in years. Btw... Its similar in size to the Mac #109 brush...but instead of a round top, its a paddle shape.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Despite being listed as a blush brush, MAC sold me this brush to use with the Pro Longwear foundation. I'm not sure if this was an error or not, as I'm pretty sure the person who tested the makeup on me used the "skunk brush" 187.

I tried to use this brush for the foundation for several days, but was very unimpressed. It didn't really blend in -- the brush strokes were still visible on my face even after I did lots of buffing. This brush sheds terribly and I have to pick fibers off my face constantly.

This feels like a cheap brush -- but it was expensive! $35! I'm going to return it today, I have better things to spend money on. :|