Pureology Strength Cure

Pureology Strength Cure
Pureology strength cure

4.4

Not tested on animals

I broke with my longtime stylist because of repeated mistakes with color (platinum highlights coming up blue, telling me that the copper streaks in my hair were NOT copper, etc.) The final straw was when the top layer of my hair broke completely off. My hair was the worst it had ever been, my bangs and the aforementioned top layer were breaking off as fast as they could grow in.

Anyway, the first step my new stylist took, weeks before she even attempted anything more than a corrective toner, was to put my brassy, crispy, broken, hair on Strength Cure shampoo and conditioner. This shampoo works to repair the hair, which is something I don't find in other brands. So, here I am, a year(!) later, my hair is soft, healthy, and GROWING. I use it 5 days a week (the other two are for purple shampoo and a more intense conditioning treatment). I offset the cost somewhat by getting liters when Ulta has a sale (and get points for the purchase). This product line (and a stylist with a more sensible approach to color) saved my hair.

on 12/7/2017 1:32:00 AM

This is an amazing shampoo. A little background; I am 35 and have been going blonde since 18. I had a fantastic stylist who would take me from dark brown to blonde with no problem. Fast forward, I recently moved and had to find a new stylist and it’s been such a problem. After a few bad bleach jobs my hair was really screwed up. Dry, breaking at the roots and overall bad. I tried protein treatments, olaplex 3, Redken all soft, Wella, and so on. Nothing performs like this shampoo and conditioner combo. I also use the masque once a week, but I feel I don’t even need it because the shampoo and conditioner are enough. I put off trying this because of the price, but nothing else hides my breakage and makes my hair bouncy and fabulous like this. I don’t even need a leave in... it’s that good. I’m sad it’s so expensive, but I found it at Marshalls for a min better price so hopefully I can continue to find it cheaper.

on 5/22/2016 2:35:00 PM

I'm so glad I decided to give this shampoo/conditioner a try! My hair was detangling and becoming silkier while washing with it for the first time! I am going to return the detangler I bought with it because I don't need it now. You need less because it's more concentrated than others so that's another plus. It smells really nice and floral, lathers and rinses very well. This is much better than any other shampoo/conditioner I've tried, including RedKen All Soft. I do wish the bottles had those built-in snap-top caps which is easier on the nails, but oh well.

on 2/18/2016 12:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I needed a good replacement for my WEN cleansing conditioner during my pregnancy. I found the WEN scents just over powering for me. So I ask my hairstylist for a sulfate free shampoo option. As I have highlights on fine hair she immediately recommended the Strength Cure from Pureology.

I find that this shampoo does lather, but is sulfate free. I still find the scent is strong while in the shower and when my hair is damp, but once dry I can live with it. Pleasant scent, but being preggers I have a nose of a bloodhound!

I find that I am not loosing hair at all, similar to my experience with WEN. Price is high, but I'm use to spending money on WEN. Quarter size amount which I dilute with some water in my palm it enough to wash my waist length fine hair appropriately. Does not irritate my scalp. Easily rinses. Plus I only wash my hair twice a week, so it's not too pricey. Remember a little goes a long way, and adding a splash of water really helps to distrubute this shampoo nicely.

I highly recommend this for someone who has been on a no-poo kick. (I used WEN for about 4 years straight, but wanted a change)

on 1/12/2016 7:41:00 AM

I don't understand all the rave reviews... This leaves my hair lank, bereft of all body, and feeling waxy on my scalp. I also can't stand the smell. I bought this on special offer in attempt to wean myself off my beloved Aveda Smooth Infusion shampoo. That shampoo is amazing, gives me soft and bouncy hair, but gosh it's expensive. However, I have had to go back to it - so far nothing can compare! If anyone reads this and can suggest a cheaper but equivalent shampoo to the Aveda then please message me. I had hoped Pureology would do the trick, but so far I see no improvement in condition and certainly I don't care for the finished result. My hair gets greasy quickly so perhaps for those with dry hair this would work. Not awful but certainly not a re purchase for me.

on 12/8/2015 4:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I started losing a lot of hair and thinning due to stress. This shampoo is great! I don't remember when I started noticing a difference but it definitely made a huge improvement. I was losing a lot less hair in the shower after using this shampoo. It works!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I don't understand the hype. My hair did not get stronger, softer, or easier to manage. If it can't do any of those things you would at the very least expect it to smell pleasant, but to me, it smells like ear wax. Don't waste your time.

Below is a description of my hair troubles.

I badly wanted highlights and let the stylist bully me into getting a bronze base. I wanted sandy golden streaks throughout my whole head on my natural dark chocolate base. This is how I did my hair in high school and I rocked it. The stylist insisted a base was necessary. I shouldn't have listened. I got stuck with an orange base that I did not want. I had strong, healthy hair at the shoulder length I wanted. By getting that ugly base I was stuck. I had to touch it up or it would look even worse. Fast forward 2 full years later. After several stylists I decided nobody was giving me what I wanted. So I just had my entire hair dyed black (and let it fade to it's natural color).

As you can imagine, my hair was severely damaged after 2 years of dying it multiple times. For awhile I was getting my orange ugly base dyed it's natural chocolate brown, but whenever I used the P treatments to keep my blonde from getting brassy, the base would change. So..I caved and decided to buy premium shampoo and conditioner.I was not impressed with this line.

This product, along with the Hydrate line conditioner, has prevented me from having to cut off most if not all of my hair. To skip my hair backstory, look to last paragraph.

I have naturally thick, warm toned, medium blond hair, but the individual strands are thin. Before I started bleaching my hair, I was dying it mostly deep reds and black. I'd let one fade and just layer the color, and for years my hair was in wonderful health.
Then around a year and a half ago, I started really getting into pastel colors and decided to get my dark red hair bleached white. I knew how difficult it was to pull red pigmentation from hair (especially after years of dying) and my hair dresser actually asked me to sign a form stating that I knew the risk of bleaching and still wanted to proceed. I knew that my hair did well with dye in the past, so I was definitely worried but I had high hopes.
Within 15 minutes of a test strand being under 30 vol. bleach, it was at a yellow toned blond, waaay lighter than my natural hair. My hair dresser was astounded, and even called a coworker over to see the test strand. Needless to say we continued on to the rest of my hair and I left with slightly brassy blond hair. The next appointment also went well, and after two bleachings and a toning, I had white hair.
I loved my hair even though it felt a little different, especially wet. I was just happy it didn't fry. I think that got me a little over-confident in my hai,r because after I didn't like the lavender purple color I put in it, I decided i'd dye it bright red to color it up instead of waiting for the purple to fade. Wooorst decision ever. It turned a hooorrrible magenta color and I had to find a salon with good reviews, that was opened on a Monday, who would take me on such short notice. Some how I found this wonderful place near by that would do just that for me, but the pink would NOT come out. The pigmentation stuck to the core of my hair. It only lifted to a slightly lighter pink (which wouldn't have been so bad and I should have kept it at that, once again.) We decided to put black over it and that's where my hair is at right now.

Before using this product, my breakage was and shedding was unbearable. It made an immediate difference in the breakage, and along with the Hydrate conditioner it really balanced out my hair and helped me retain length so I could grow it out. I have to keep up my black hair color with temporary dye, so the color-saving properties of this shampoo are wonderful. It also lathers and foams up like crazy, and anyone who's used color shampoos knows that's exceedingly rare. It cleans all the built up oils in hair, even though I wait a couple days in between washes. There's also no issue with the protein causing breakage, It's just enough, especially in conjunction with the Hydrate conditioner. Overall, this is the best shampoo I've ever used and Pureology is the best line I've tried for damage. The price is a little high, but I've found that with hair products you get what you pay for.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have the travel size bottle of this shampoo with the matching conditioner. It has a light floral scent I don't care for but it's not obnoxious. I used this when my hair needs a protein boost. It does a good job of keeping my hair less frizzy and helps it shed less. A little goes a long way since it is so concentrated. I am not sure if I would buy again unless it is on sale, but it does not dry out my hair. The conditioner feels light and I have to use a bit more on my thick hair, but my hair is still left soft and with defined curls.

on 6/25/2015 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This shampoo is very silky and sulfate free, so it's safe for my color treated hair. My tresses are dry, somewhat wavy and prone to frizz. It only takes a small amount of this shampoo to create a frothy lather, which is unusual for a sulfate free formula. I noticed a difference the first time I used it (along with the Strength Cure conditioner). The two products together gave me soft, strong, supple, shiny hair. My hair is quite damaged from a color remover and subsequent recoloring but before all this, I colored my hair with a 40 volume developer, which means that dryness was already something I was dealing with. I also heat style with a curling iron several times a week, which contributes to the dryness. But my hair really loves this stuff and the results have only gotten better the longer I've used these products. This formula is for "micro-scarred" hair (I'm not sure what that means exactly, I consider my hair truly "scarred") and when I decided to purchase it, I was concerned that it may be too heavy and would therefore weigh my hair down. However, this was not the case. It has the perfect amount of hydration and obviously contains strengthening protein and it didn't strip the color the least little bit. I also really like the fragrance (which dissipates quickly however). I will definitely repurchase this. I recommend this shampoo (and the conditioner) for those with color treated, dry, damaged hair. It made a big difference for my medium/fine textured hair. It fully deserves the full five lippies.