Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet

Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet
bourjois rouge edition velvet 03 Hot Pepperbourjois rouge edition velvet 03 Hot PepperBourjois Edition Velvet - Peach Club

3.9

on 10/7/2015 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I don't understand the rave about this lipstick,
I tried out two red colours from the line. Nice colour but the staying power was not impressive at all. I read all the reviews raving about the awesome staying power, yeah well, give it an hour and it has disappeared.
Then the smell, like some chemical plastic smell. It was awful.
The application with the doe-applicator was nice, but the colour was patchy.
The formula I liked, it was a bit watery but soft on my lips.
So one lippie for the colour and one lippie for the application and formula.

on 3/20/2015 2:39:00 PM

I find this very drying. It looks good for about two minutes then it seems to shrivel up and separate on my lips, turning from a plush velvet finish to a patchy mess. It's tolerable with balm on top but then it's not velvet or matte. I do have dry lips though so
YMMV. On the plus side it's easy to apply.
I prefer laura mercier lip paint though it's nearly x3 the price.
EDIT: shade 07, a pink nude makes for a nice matte but not dry-looking cream blusher. You only need a spot. It blends well, but work fast!
10, an orange red also works as blush but a little harder to blend. Do not use too much, once it's on there is no going back.
Finish as a blush is very natural but still "there".
So, Iíve gone from 2 stars to 3 because at least now I see myself using these.

on 5/8/2014 3:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I definitely recommend these. They are long lasting (and nothing lasts on me), non drying and they stay creamy until they go down to a stain.
I have 2 shades 01 which is a red similar to MACs Brick Lipliner and 04 called peach club. This does apply on me a soft red though and this is the lightest shade.

Ive been on the hunt for my perfect red and Russian Red is close but not quite. This is definitely my red.

I would take off half a star because of the shade range as there are only 6 shades.
Im going to see if I like the other red but I think that would look too bright orangey/red on me but would look gorgeous on a paler skin but especially a very pale porcelain skin. I might check on the other shades but I dontthink they are for me.
These are def the best matte liquid l/s Ive tried. Im only sad I spent £22 on the Hourglass Rouge Opaque which went funnynand bitty on my lips after a few hours.
I dont like sheer lip products and def nothing shiny or glossy and these are perfect

on 5/3/2014 11:56:00 PM

I have this long-wearing lip colour in the shade 03 Hot Pepper, which is a neutral red (not blue, nor orangey). Red is a lip colour that simply won't go out of fashion, and there's good reason for this; it looks good on everyone. It's classic and timeless.
This lip colour goes on smoothly and dries to a matte finish. It claims to last for up to 24hrs, have a light texture and be extremely comfortable, and let me tell you, it really is light and comfortable, for sure. The whole 24hr lip colour thing is always a little (ok, rather more than a little) exaggerated if I'm honest, but this lip colour stayed looking good for around 6-8hrs before I decided to take it off and reapply. There's no need for lip liner either as this doesn't bleed, like a lot of red lipsticks have done to me in the past. It withstood me eating and drinking, felt really light, and most of all it didn't dry my lips out (a lot of long-wearing lip colours have a tendency to do this to me). It has become my favourite red lip colour, and I most certainly will be repurchasing this in the future. This is kind of a big thing for me as I am not a huge matte-lip colour fan, but this has certainly made it into my top 5 lipsticks.
(The pics I've uploaded are from my blog, so sorry about the writing on them - please just ignore it - I just wanted to show the product and colour!)

on 1/5/2017 4:51:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Oh how I love this lipstick.

I bought the shade 11- So Hap'pink. I chose this particular shade because it looked so bright and vibrant, and I wanted a lipstick which made me stand out.

It's so easy to apply to the lips, it just glides on and stays in place for a good while. I generally only have to re-apply when I eat, but even then, it only barely fades or comes off.

However, I tend to find that the formula is quite drying, and I can't wear it for consecutive days as my lips end up dry and chapped. Thank god for my other lipsticks then :)

I would definitely buy from this range again, as it has good staying power and a great range of colours.

on 8/8/2016 8:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

AH-MA-ZING! I simply ADORE this lipstick.
I got burned with Velvetines, as they are so difficult to work and they are sticky as hell. So, I immediately left behind me the liquids trend. But I've been looking at these Bourjois' babies for quite a while now but, do to my previous delusion, I wasn't really crazy for the price (12 euros in Italy, can be found only online) and I wasn't really willing to pay for a random try. I've never been disappointed by a Bourjois product and I declare it my favourite brand, it's so classy, effective and reliable, and really provides products for any occasion and need. So, when I've seen it on a sale, I immediately got it because I needed to know!
So, I got the shade Frambourjoise, which wouldn't have been my first choice but it was the only shade on sale (5,50 euros, fair enough for just a try) and would have been a good beginning to see if the others were worth the price. They definitely are!
Frambourjoise is literally strawberry colour. A bright red with a strong pink undertone. It looks intimidating on the packaging as it seems more on the fuchsia side but it's not. I don't feel the love for bright reds but this one looks so classy and on point.
The packaging is very elegant and the wand is very hard, so it's difficult to be imprecise when you apply it. For example, I always hated Velvetines' wand, maybe it was just me or a bad batch but they weren't stable enough and they dried so fast that if I did any mistake I was doomed! In this case, they took a good 3-5 minutes to dry, but it doesn't look *that* bad dry, it's very homogeneous and, most important thing, not sticky AT ALL! Lips become matte and flawless and I've noticed no cracks at all (of course you need to be hydrated and balmed, and clearly apply it on dry lips otherwise the formula will run away if you just applied chapstick). Simply amazing.
It doesn't last throught meals, but does last through drinks. For example, today I had lunch with plenty of greasy food and it made a slight lighter effect in the mouth centre, which doesn't look pretty as you know. But then I had some beers drank from the bottle and it stood without problems. It's almost no transfer. If you don't do anything, it's pretty much long lasting (5-6 hours)
Frambourjois is so cute that my friend's fiancée asked me what it was and immediately ordered it on amazon from her cellphone. She is everything but a make up junkie, so it really made a good impression.
Anyway, I didn't give it 5 lippies as I hate the darker edges problem. Nothing too noticeable, but makes me feel unconfortable and would suggest to not wear it at meals.
Can't wait to put my paws on the other shades!

UPDATE! Brought it with me on holidays, so it has been heavily tested in 1) greasy, eternal meals 2) sea, bathing and swimming 3) rivers of booze. I'm so impressed and in love! It worked lovely as a stain as well, and survived all the challenges.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I have this in 04 Peach Club. It's a beautiful, warm, coral pink with a tinge of red. You can build up opacity, and I find it's best to apply in two light coats. Whilst I find the colour to be gorgeous on my NC15-20 cool olive skin, I am not a fan of the formula. It dries down matte but it does not set, so the formula is prone to moving. If you take a sip from a glass, you will see the colour transfer. If you eat anything - even if it is light - it will also transfer and rub off. The colour rubs off unevenly, and most of the colour is gone from the centre of my mouth. Not very attractive at all.

Another characteristic I do not like about this product is that it is drying and this is a very unforgiving formula. Your lips have to be VERY well-prepped and moisturised, otherwise every single line will show up after two hours or so. It's also quite pricey in Australia as it goes for A$24 RRP. I love the packaging - it's sleek and beautiful, but the formula just is not up to par. I will finish this, but I would not repurchase or recommend this to anyone looking for a formula that is vivid, long-wearing and comfortable.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I have it in 07 nude-ist, and I love the colour. It's a rose-pink toned nude with a slight brownish hue, which I like.

The packaging is sleek, pretty and very sophisticated. It seems pretty sturdy. The applicator is a doe foot applicator and makes applying the product easy.

The product is like a lip cream with a matte finish. It smells like silly string, that artificial, pungent chemical scent which is a drawback. It takes up a bit too much product for my liking, so I wipe a bit off, as it gathers around the lip line when applying. It has almost opaque in one coat pigmentation, but I prefer to apply two thin layers. It feels like a slippery gloss at the start, but as it dries, it turns sticky every time you smack your lips together.

It transfers a bit of colour when drinking or eating, and I found that after eight hours of wear, eating and drinking, I ended up with the colour all around the outside of my lips, and my inner lips my natural colour. The matte formula is a bit drying to my taste, but I'm a lip balm kind of girl anyway.

The price. Bourjois is an expensive brand in itself, and in Australia, $25 is hefty for a 'drugstore' lip product. I know that in america, for $25 you can basically get two mac lipsticks. Overpriced, yeah? That's Australia for you. Thank goodness I got it for $10 on a sale, which is still like $5 away from a mac lipstick in US, but Australia's Mac lipsticks are 36 0.o Anyway, that is overpriced for a lip product.

Overall, depending on what you like, or prefer, it will depend on whether you like this product or not.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This product is nice. I like Bourjois as a brand because the quality for the price is exceptional. The quality is equally as good as some high end brands (if not better!)

This lipstick goes on light and feathery. It feels almost mousse-like. Not sticky or drying on application. It definitely has a different consistency to other lipsticks. The pigmentation is nice. Not too heavy, but not so sheer that you can't see it!

Unlike some matte lipsticks, I feel this lipstick doesn't dry my lips out. It is matte so some dryness will occur, but nowhere near to the extent of some mattes where you feel your lips start to tighten and the formula crumbles!

The colour I chose is "Velvet 10- Don't Pink of it" and it is beautiful. It's a nice shade of pink that isn't too pale nor too dark. It's very natural. I've worn it for a wedding, for work, for date night! It's a versatile shade.
The staying power is nice. I have to reapply after eating or drinking, but it doesn't wear off too quickly. I haven't tried a bolder, darker colour in the range, so I can't comment on the staying power of those shades. I'm tempted to try this product in other shades though!

As mentioned in some other reviews of this product, it does have a weird smell. I can't quite place what it smells of. It isn't an artificial sweet smell or anything like that like some lip products have. To me the smell isn't off putting, but it is noticeable.

on 4/29/2017 10:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

The formula is super light but it is definitely not a good lip color for dry lips. After it dries out my lips crack like hell and basically the color become patchy. However if you prep your lips before hand to prevent this dryness the color would go on unevenly. I can only apply it on my "good lips" day. But I still love the color enough to properly prep my lips even a night before