Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Extra-Moisture Detangler

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have been in the swimming pool a couple times recently and it sucked the life out of my hair. Super dry, frizzy, rough and overall sad curls. I was starting to feel nappy lol. So i went to walgreens and went straight to the Shea Moisture section (thats the only brand i use on my hair) i like to try new things from this line every time. and this product will be a keeper! :) i have used it everyday for the past few days and my hair is nothing like i just described from the pool. Its now soft, very moisturized, smooth, shiny, pretty and happy. Happy is the opposite of nappy lol. I dont use it as directed. It says to use after shampooing, apply and comb through. I tried that and using it in the shower i applied it and combed through it and it was ok at detangling but a regular conditioner is better. i had to use A LOT in the shower as a detangler. so now i just use it as a regular leave in conditioner. i apply about a quarter size to my whole head and woke it through and i go about my day. my hair absorbs it up easy. When you first feel the product in your hands you think oh no this is too greasy but once you apply it to your hair it doesnt feel like that at all. it just applies smoothly. i could imagine if you had thin hair this would be too heavy for you. but for thick super curly hair like mine thats needs moisture all the time this is the product to use. the moisture last all day all night until you rinse it out. and even after you rinse it out your hair is still left soft and moisturized.

UPDATE: This also amazing and healing for your lips. My lips have been getting really dry lately to the point where my regular lip balm wasn't enough. So I rubbed in a tiny amount of this on damp lips and it just magically replummped my lips and put all the moisture back in. It also softened the dry skin so I could scrub it off easily. This stuff is awesome :)

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I am leaving this review in the hopes to clear up some confusion and perhaps make this usuable for people who found it too heavy/greasy.
I have very fine, very tangle prone, caucasian hair. Why am I telling you this??? Well, because apparently there are a lot of fineys like me who have had trouble with this product. And I think I know why. The finer your hair, the wetter your hair should and the less you should use be when applying this product. DO NOT FOLLOW THE LABEL. i am dead serious here. Shea Moisture products are deaigned for EVERYONE, but the instructions are generally geared towards coarser hairtypes. So here is what you do: wash/cowash/rinse your hair as usual. Then, while your hair is still sopping wet, take a small amount of this product ( I use slightly bigger than a pea size) and rub throughout your hair. THE towel dry. Why is it important for your hair to be sopping, you ask??? Well, because glycerin is a humectant. Fine hair is generally not very porous, which means it does not absorb as much water. If there is not enough water in your hair or the enviroment, it has no where to get said water but from your hair. Towel drying does not leave enough of wat glycerin needs to work properly. So, it dries your hair out and gets sticky, greasy and gummy feeling. However, if your hair is very wet, there will be enough moisture. Problem solved.
This product is FREAKING AMAZING if used properly. Leaves my hair tangle fre and super light, even after a cowash. But you have to know how to use it. So go ahead and give it another try. If you find it is still too heavy, use less next time or rewet your hair to add in that moisture glycerin craves, towel dry and restyle. I hope this helped some of you. It really is a great product, you just have to know how to use it on your hair, and if your hair is fine, this means on soaking wet hair.

To Read all 12 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

So far I like this detangler not as good as my John Masters detangler, but it works. I found it works better on towel dried hair, rub it in really well and let it sit in for a moment before you began the process of detangling. I use my wet brush. When I let my hair air dry is was smooth and soft and didn't re-tangle. So far this is a keeper but definitely not my John Masters detangler. It's light weight and has a pleasant smell to it. The size is a decent size.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I am currently on my second bottle and first used it about two years ago. I mostly used it in the winter when my thick curly hair is dry and would use it as one of my leave in conditioners in combination with another more wet conditioner. I really like how it keeps my thick hair under control without altering its curl pattern.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This product saved my hair.

After a long battle with dryness on my naturally curly hair, I washed my hair with this and carefully detangled it. I think that the "detangler" part is not the most important trait of this product. If the "extra moisture" is what you're looking for, and that is where it delivers.

I left this product in my hair and then styled it in a top knot/bun. It has a similar consistency as Knot Today. It is much more oily, however. It will leave your hair much greasier. If you have problems with oiliness, then do not get this product.

Because my hair was in such an *extreme* state of dryness, this was exactly what I was looking for. I wore my hair in a bun for about three days with this product and water. After co washing with Tresemme Natural's moisture conditioner, I applied Knot Today and Kinky Curly to my hair. My hair is completely repaired, and I know that I have this product to thank for that.

I will use this as a co wash, and I will apply it to my hair on the nights before I wash my hair for added moisture. If I put my hair in a bun or do a protective style, then I will use this product. I won't use this for wearing my hair down because then it will be too greasy. However, for the health of my hair, this product is an HG!!!

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

I love Shea Moisture as a brand overall, especially their body products. I've been less impressed with their hair offerings, including this product. I didn't find that it did an outstanding job detangling, and basically left me feeling pretty much meh about its abilities. I have certainly used better detanglers.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I didn't care for this at all. I put this on one side of my hair and kckt on the other side and kckt allowed the tangles to easily be removed, but the sm detangler did not detangle my hair at all. It had no slip at all. It does smell nice. Not a repurchase for me.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I love this product! I've never heard of it or tried it before, but CVS was having a BOGO free sale so I was like what the heck, I'm gonna try whatever I can...plus it was supposed to be moisturizing as well so that automatically got my attention. I have 4c hair and I loved how my hair felt after putting it in my hair. My hair felt soft and definitely not tangled. I would definitely buy it again.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I try to wait a few weeks before reviewing things, but I only lasted a week on this one. This stuff is fantastic. I was so iffy to try because it's more expensive than most SM products and a smaller bottle. It also looks like gel. Well... It definitely detangles and provides great moisture as a leave in. I bought 3 bottles at the CVS bogo sale haha. My hair is naturally dry and very thirsty, so I probably use more than a lot of people, but start out with a little and work your way up. The product dissolves into your hair, so be patient with it

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have low-porosity 3b/3c hair and when the label says "extra-moisture" detangler it REALLY means extra moisture! I used this product as a leave in, and it weighed down my curls so much because of all the moisture. You will have to use this with a light hand, maybe a quarter size for two sections. I didn't like how weighed down they were, I haven't used it since. But I'm willing to work with it and see if I can make it work for my curls.