Paula's Choice SUN 365 Self-Tanning Foam

No Image

3.6

Not tested on animals

on 2/11/2016 12:17:00 PM

I really enjoy the easy application of this self tanner and the streak-free color but I just cannot get over the intense DHA smell. The longer the product stays on the skin the stronger the scent. I understand that a self tanner cannot be completely DHA scent free but I have tried others that were a lot more subdued.

Pros
- good price point
- easy application
- streak free

Cons
- intense DHA smell

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

All self tanners stink, including this one so don't be fooled by Paula's description or other reviewers- as soon as it starts developing, you will stink.

Now onto the review: I like the mousse concept. It dries quickly. The color guard is almost non-existent but I'm a pro at this so that doesn't bother me. It blends easily. Non-streaky.

So everything is great so far, but the next day is where it fails.
I look into the mirror and barely see any color. I am super pale and like a nice, natural looking fake tan but this one is the lightest I have used in about 15 years. There is a slight yellowish tint to my skin.
The directions do say to apply it 2 days in a row so I'm not giving up. I apply another layer before bed. Next day... a bit more yellowy tan. Not the greatest look, but at least its not orange.

on 8/7/2014 4:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This thing is great. I'm very fair so I have to use self-tanning products in the summer, but I have always hated using them and dread having to put them on because of the smell. This one is the only product that actually has almost NO odor as it's developing (most other ones have masking fragrance but the self-tanner odor develops and becomes apparent anyway). The color is natural, leaning on the warmer side, and the foam dries quickly and doesn't transfer to clothing too much. I can put this on before bed and wake up scent-free!

on 7/30/2014 1:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This comes out of the pump with an english tea color and goes on with a slightly sheer golden pigment. It can appear streaky after 2 or more applications yet it is easy to blend. Because of the golden pigment many people will not find it orange but on some skin colors like those with a lot of freckles it may look orange anyway. It does seem to have less of a self tanner odor to me it smelled like rubbing alcohol but there is none in there. The star ingredients are glycerin sodium hydroxide and vitamin c and the ingredient list is short in case anyone has a reaction. Despite the skin identicle ingredients and humectants though this is not moisturizing. It feels like a foam and when you rub it on it is like a mist only the mist is being used as a lotion would be used.
I don't self tan a lot so I am going to give it to a friend as a belated birthday gift. Ill update this review when she tells me what she thinks of it.

The perfect self tanner and only $15.00!!! It dries in under 2 minutes. Plus, you get a HUGE bottle. Compare ingredients to Clarins or Rodan Fields self tanning foam AND their is no nasty self tanning smell!!! I get the perfect tan with this luxurious foam. Look at my picture. My tan is not from the sun, but from using self tanner and now its even better thanks to this product. Thank you Paula's team for making this great product.

Ingredients: Water, Dihydroxyacetone (self-tanning agent), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Ethoxydiglycol (penetration enhancer), Caramel (natural coloring agent), Polysorbate 20 (emulsifier), Erythrulose (self-tanning agent), Decyl Glucoside (gentle foaming agent), Ethylhexylglycerin (skin-conditioning agent), Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide (stabilizers/pH adjusters), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).