Kat Von D Monarch

Monarch

1 review

on 4/17/2015 1:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had been eyeballing this palette for a really long time, and when the Sephora VIB sale came up this month, I decided I'd take the plunge and buy the last one on their shelves.
I absolutely love this palette. I find it to be incredibly versatile, and the colors are so harmonious that you could use any combination and they'd compliment each other perfectly. (This is in stark contrast to the Lorac Pro 2 palette, which has great colors, pigmentation, and texture, but some of the colors just do not work with anything else in the palette, so I rarely end up using about 30% of the palette.) Having a good harmony among the colors is what really makes this product stand out. Even with the UD Naked palettes, essentially what you are getting is slight variations on a single theme. Yes, you can use them for day-to-night looks, but the colors are all very similar to each other. But with the Monarch palette, the colors are all quite different (save a couple shades that are similar), so the variety of looks available makes for a very convenient collection. No need to break out three or four individual shadows to accompany it.
The texture is buttery and finely milled (though does result in some fallout, but no worse than the UD Vice 3). The colors are highly pigmented, but buildable, and they blend like a dream.
The packaging is bulky, but gorgeous. I'd have preferred something sturdier, but I generally don't bring my palettes around in my bag, so as long as it's safe at home, it won't be an issue.
Price-wise, at $46 it's about what I'd expect a mid-range luxury eyeshadow palette to be. But, you do get a decent amount of product, and with every color being wearable and usable, I feel like that's a fair price.
It should also be noted that KVD's products are cruelty free, and most in the line (soon to be all) are vegan.
I will definitely repurchase this palette, as well as explore more of her palettes. (It was a toss-up between this and her eye contouring kit, but this seemed more versatile.)

Video Reviews & Tutorials