Kat Von D Monarch

Kat Von D Monarch
Monarch

4.5

on 7/26/2017 2:34:00 AM

I was surprised when I heared KVD was discontinuing this palette. I consider it one of her best. I was lucky enough to grab it as soon as it released in Australia. The shadows are more pigmented than any other eyehadows you'll find in the market and at a reasonable price too. The colours are beautiful and can be a used to make a variety of looks. I do find I need some mattes to make the shimmers work in this palette and that is why I bought the Shade and Light palette which is pigmented too. They compliment each other well. The shimmers are beautiful in this palette and a little goes along way. I think this palette will out last any other as I only use so little to get the maximum pigment. KVD should definitely bring this back. Can't wait till she comes out with a warm tone palette. First in line for that one.

on 8/28/2016 4:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is one of Kat Von D's most stellar palettes. I think it may be one of her best. Whenever I do a look with this I always love my eye-shadow that day.

The colour stays on forever, looks beautiful without effort and blends really well. Be sure to pick up a little at a time because it's so pigmented.

What makes these eye-shadows stand out is that they don't blend and disappear into one another, you will be able to see individual colours in your eye-shadow look.

The colour selection in the Monarch is the best I've ever seen. You may need a few neutrals from the Shade and Light or another palette to allow for more looks. But the palette inspires me to play with great colours.

Love and will repurchase if I can.

i love this palette i use it everyday the only problem is my oily skin eats up the eyeshadow.

so pigmented and blends so well! i love the orange its my favorite color in the palette I'm afraid to buy more pallets because this one is so good <3

I've had this palette for a while now and have had plenty of time to play with it. I got it as my big splurge during the VIB sale. This palette was definitely a great choice. You can make looks from natural to smoky, with a touch of bright and fun. These are no doubt some of the most pigmented shadows I've ever worked with. You barely need to touch your brush to the shadow and you have more than enough pigment. Keep this in mind especially for Wrath (the burnt orange) and Papilio, Disintegration, and Shadow Box (the dark browns and taupes). Sometimes shades this pigmented do not blend well but that is not the case with this palette; every shade is very workable and there's not a single dud formula-wise nor color-wise. Shadow Box gives me some blending trouble, but it's workable with the right fluffy brush (I usually use a Too Faced Teddy Bear Hair brush). Because of the amazing pigmentation, the staying power is incredible with these shadows- probably better than any of my other high-end shadows.

I would not call the shadows "buttery" or "velvety," they're more powdery. There is a bit of fallout, but moreso in the pan. Summerfly and Delaney (the glittery gold and silver) are the ones where you most need to worry about face fallout. I would consider doing your eyes first, then your base makeup when using this palette, so you can fix up the fallout (I keep thinking I'll do this, but doing my base makeup first seems to be a habit I just can't break).

Every shade is very true to color and applies exactly as it looks in the pan, with the exception of Entomology (the matte highlight shade)- it is not as yellow as it looks in the pan and applies as more of a creamy ivory (a good thing!). Vanish (the matte taupe) looks a bit boring but it is an amazing transition/crease shade and can be used with any color in this palette, and with lots of my other shadows as well. What I don't quite like about this palette is how the "quads" are arranged, with the exception of the one on the far left. You have to use your imagination with this palette and break out of these quads (there's lots of YT tutorials). The far right quad is WAY too dark for me to use all together, it ends up looking like I've been punched in the face. All three of those dark colors are better used lightly in the crease, outer corner, or as liners with any of the lighter colors to the left. So I have stopped thinking about that set as a "quad" and think of them more as three choices for deepening and adding dimension to the other shadows. Also, Telepathy (the silvery highlight color) is in a larger pan as if it should be used as an all over base/browbone/blending color, but for my skintone it is too frosty for this purpose. It is a GORGEOUS color and is great on the lid or applied sparingly just under the eyebrow, but IMO Killing Jar (the pinky-gold) is the better all-over highlight and should be in the larger pan.

Aside from the minor fallout issues and the arrangement of these colors, I have nothing bad to say about these shadows. They are all standouts. Probably not the best palette for beginners but if you have some good brushes, blending skills, and the imagination to break out of the quads, I'd recommend it.

I am really surprised that I bought this. I have not worn a lot of eyeshadow in my makeup life and I'm discovering it now- fabulous! This palette caught my eye the first time I was in a Sephora store last month. I think the burnt orange shade looked so original and then the silvery shades and the overall neutral tone of the palette. It's a funny one, Monarch- it looks like it's a "dress up" palette but when you start playing with the colors, it's incredibly neutral. The colors can be built up a lot and they are richly pigmented with an incredibly soft, yet not overly powdery texture (similar but more buttery than UD).

Others here have already described the colors so I won't go into that but I will say that this is a beautiful and useful palette, far more work-appropriate than you might think at first glance. I don't love the goth design of the packaging (it's not really my thing) and there is SO much product that I'll probably die before I finish all of it, but it's a great purchase and I'm glad I caved!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

Extremely pigmented!!! A little goes a long way. Nice colors and very easy to blend. I am very impressed with this makeup line.

I've been using this palette for a while now and I can say if I had to chose between the Naked palette 1 and 2 and the Kat Von D palette I would chose the Kat Von D. The reason why is because I think its more buildable. The colors are so pigmented you can easily make a natural look or a very bold dark sexy look. Not to mention that brownish orange color is so pretty and makes your eyes pop when you use it as a transitioning color.

With that being said, keep in mind this eyeshadow has a lot of fallout, not enough to make me hate the palette but enough to be careful when applying it.

on 1/6/2015 10:09:00 PM

I love this pallet. Ever shadow is equally as good, there are no duds all shades are equally as great. Shadow are pigmented, easy to blend, and they last on the lid. There is fall out in the pan but I get zero fall out from these shadows when they are on my eyes, I don't even have to tap off access. I reach for these shadows more than my Urban Decay.

on 10/18/2014 5:50:00 PM

This pallet is amazing! i highly recommend it to everyone the orangy color is a fantastic color for fall! the pigmentation is outstanding! if you guys wanna see it on action and check out the look i came up with go ahead and check out my video featuring the Kat Von D Monarch pallet i would appreciate it if you like comment and subscribe thanks for taking your time to watching it and i hope you enjoy it! (:

on 6/30/2014 12:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This product is great for cool and warm tone looks. Perfect traveling palette!

on 5/29/2014 7:58:00 PM

I don't have a set of shadows like this... The texture and pigmentation is amazing. Soft, buttery and pigmented... It doesn't get better.