Kat Von D Monarch

Monarch

4.5

on 1/15/2016 9:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This palette comes with 3 base shades and 9 accent hues. And Kat Von D Beauty is CRUELTY FREE, Paraben, Sulfate and Phthalate free! This is a really good palette to have, even though it is a bit pricey ($55.00 at Sephora), I love it.

Okay, first of all, the colours are amazing! Wrath, that deep pearl orange, gorgeous! These colours are perfect for a natural look to an intense smokey eye. And they are so pigmented. Seriously, a little at a time people the dark shades are PIGMENTED! They are longer wearing and more pigmented with a primer, but still impressive.
They do have a powder texture but go on very smooth and buttery. These are super blendable and will last all day. Perfect for an evening out. They do have some fallout, so I just tap my brush before applying to ensure that it doesn't end up all over my face (I can be a messy makeup applier!).
Overall, I'm impressed and it's totally worth the money.

I've had this palette for a while now and have had plenty of time to play with it. I got it as my big splurge during the VIB sale. This palette was definitely a great choice. You can make looks from natural to smoky, with a touch of bright and fun. These are no doubt some of the most pigmented shadows I've ever worked with. You barely need to touch your brush to the shadow and you have more than enough pigment. Keep this in mind especially for Wrath (the burnt orange) and Papilio, Disintegration, and Shadow Box (the dark browns and taupes). Sometimes shades this pigmented do not blend well but that is not the case with this palette; every shade is very workable and there's not a single dud formula-wise nor color-wise. Shadow Box gives me some blending trouble, but it's workable with the right fluffy brush (I usually use a Too Faced Teddy Bear Hair brush). Because of the amazing pigmentation, the staying power is incredible with these shadows- probably better than any of my other high-end shadows.

I would not call the shadows "buttery" or "velvety," they're more powdery. There is a bit of fallout, but moreso in the pan. Summerfly and Delaney (the glittery gold and silver) are the ones where you most need to worry about face fallout. I would consider doing your eyes first, then your base makeup when using this palette, so you can fix up the fallout (I keep thinking I'll do this, but doing my base makeup first seems to be a habit I just can't break).

Every shade is very true to color and applies exactly as it looks in the pan, with the exception of Entomology (the matte highlight shade)- it is not as yellow as it looks in the pan and applies as more of a creamy ivory (a good thing!). Vanish (the matte taupe) looks a bit boring but it is an amazing transition/crease shade and can be used with any color in this palette, and with lots of my other shadows as well. What I don't quite like about this palette is how the "quads" are arranged, with the exception of the one on the far left. You have to use your imagination with this palette and break out of these quads (there's lots of YT tutorials). The far right quad is WAY too dark for me to use all together, it ends up looking like I've been punched in the face. All three of those dark colors are better used lightly in the crease, outer corner, or as liners with any of the lighter colors to the left. So I have stopped thinking about that set as a "quad" and think of them more as three choices for deepening and adding dimension to the other shadows. Also, Telepathy (the silvery highlight color) is in a larger pan as if it should be used as an all over base/browbone/blending color, but for my skintone it is too frosty for this purpose. It is a GORGEOUS color and is great on the lid or applied sparingly just under the eyebrow, but IMO Killing Jar (the pinky-gold) is the better all-over highlight and should be in the larger pan.

Aside from the minor fallout issues and the arrangement of these colors, I have nothing bad to say about these shadows. They are all standouts. Probably not the best palette for beginners but if you have some good brushes, blending skills, and the imagination to break out of the quads, I'd recommend it.

on 10/29/2015 9:56:00 AM

This is a go-to palette for me, right up there with my beloved UD palettes. I have this one and the Shade & Light eye palette from Kat Von D and I continue to be very pleased with the quality, application and color payoff from these shadows.

12 shadows at $46 for the palette - The shadows work out to about $3.83 per shadow - I can't buy a L'Oreal single for that unless there is an excellent sale. . . . and these are better.

This is a high quality palette with an edgier vibe but don't let it fool you - I think that this is one of the most neutral palettes I have purchased and would work for almost anyone.

Highly recommended.

I just have looove for this palette. Excellent pigmentation, súper smooth and easy to blend. I love the colours. And the packaging screams kat vond d, and it's something that I love of her products.

on 8/28/2015 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

AMAZING!! I honestly think this palette has a better formula than urban decay does. Goes on smoothly, blends like a dream, it's already laid out in quads for those who need help, and you get a TON of product. I doubt I'll ever go through the whole thing. If I had to mention something I didn't like, I'd say the shadows are almost to soft. Like you seriously have to just barely swipe your brush across the top and you can do your whole eye with that. It last soooooo long on the lids and doesn't crease. I really, really, really love it.

on 6/9/2015 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I cannot say enough great things about this palette the pigmentation is amazing!! The feel of the eyeshadows are like velvet...the lasting power insane!! Not to mention the beautiful palette itself and the names of the eyeshadows are so creative the colors are beyond beautiful this is definitely my all time favorite palette. Theres is some fallout with some colors but nothing out of control. These colors really make my blue eyes pop. The eyeshadows do not make my eyes water or get red at all and the eyeshadows blend like a dream...i love the design and colors of the palette the only thing i wish is that it came in like a metal case only bc im clusmy and im so scared of dropping it or it getting smashed in my soft roll bag. But other then that i have nothing bad to say about this palette i absolutely love it!! I think the colors in the palette can accentuate anyones eyecolor and would look great with any skin tone and hair color...

on 1/6/2015 10:09:00 PM

I love this pallet. Ever shadow is equally as good, there are no duds all shades are equally as great. Shadow are pigmented, easy to blend, and they last on the lid. There is fall out in the pan but I get zero fall out from these shadows when they are on my eyes, I don't even have to tap off access. I reach for these shadows more than my Urban Decay.

on 11/24/2014 11:15:00 PM

I love this palette, the shadows are amazingly pigmented, creamy, lasting and it comes with 3 huge pan's of highlight shades (the ones you usually run out of first). The looks can be versatile and the packaging is beautiful with a decent sized mirror, my only complaint is the fallout but that is expected with eyeshadow this soft.

on 10/18/2014 5:50:00 PM

This pallet is amazing! i highly recommend it to everyone the orangy color is a fantastic color for fall! the pigmentation is outstanding! if you guys wanna see it on action and check out the look i came up with go ahead and check out my video featuring the Kat Von D Monarch pallet i would appreciate it if you like comment and subscribe thanks for taking your time to watching it and i hope you enjoy it! (:

on 5/27/2014 10:00:00 AM

I bought this palette during a Sephora sale, and initially thought I was in love. The presentation is beautiful and it seems so versatile. But lately, I have been preferring matte shadows, especially for my lids, and this palette just doesn't have enough matte options for me. When you factor out the two shadows on the end that are liners (Shadow Box and Deadhead), there are only 2 matte shadows--Entomology (top left) and Vanish (4th from right on the bottom). I was dealing with this, but combined with the fallout, which is so bad I have had to wash my face and start over, I just couldn't find a reason to keep this $46 palette. I am a big fan of the Ladybird palette, however.

Popular Palettes