Kat Von D Monarch

Kat Von D Monarch
Monarch

4.7

on 5/27/2014 10:00:00 AM

I bought this palette during a Sephora sale, and initially thought I was in love. The presentation is beautiful and it seems so versatile. But lately, I have been preferring matte shadows, especially for my lids, and this palette just doesn't have enough matte options for me. When you factor out the two shadows on the end that are liners (Shadow Box and Deadhead), there are only 2 matte shadows--Entomology (top left) and Vanish (4th from right on the bottom). I was dealing with this, but combined with the fallout, which is so bad I have had to wash my face and start over, I just couldn't find a reason to keep this $46 palette. I am a big fan of the Ladybird palette, however.

I've had this palette for a while now and have had plenty of time to play with it. I got it as my big splurge during the VIB sale. This palette was definitely a great choice. You can make looks from natural to smoky, with a touch of bright and fun. These are no doubt some of the most pigmented shadows I've ever worked with. You barely need to touch your brush to the shadow and you have more than enough pigment. Keep this in mind especially for Wrath (the burnt orange) and Papilio, Disintegration, and Shadow Box (the dark browns and taupes). Sometimes shades this pigmented do not blend well but that is not the case with this palette; every shade is very workable and there's not a single dud formula-wise nor color-wise. Shadow Box gives me some blending trouble, but it's workable with the right fluffy brush (I usually use a Too Faced Teddy Bear Hair brush). Because of the amazing pigmentation, the staying power is incredible with these shadows- probably better than any of my other high-end shadows.

I would not call the shadows "buttery" or "velvety," they're more powdery. There is a bit of fallout, but moreso in the pan. Summerfly and Delaney (the glittery gold and silver) are the ones where you most need to worry about face fallout. I would consider doing your eyes first, then your base makeup when using this palette, so you can fix up the fallout (I keep thinking I'll do this, but doing my base makeup first seems to be a habit I just can't break).

Every shade is very true to color and applies exactly as it looks in the pan, with the exception of Entomology (the matte highlight shade)- it is not as yellow as it looks in the pan and applies as more of a creamy ivory (a good thing!). Vanish (the matte taupe) looks a bit boring but it is an amazing transition/crease shade and can be used with any color in this palette, and with lots of my other shadows as well. What I don't quite like about this palette is how the "quads" are arranged, with the exception of the one on the far left. You have to use your imagination with this palette and break out of these quads (there's lots of YT tutorials). The far right quad is WAY too dark for me to use all together, it ends up looking like I've been punched in the face. All three of those dark colors are better used lightly in the crease, outer corner, or as liners with any of the lighter colors to the left. So I have stopped thinking about that set as a "quad" and think of them more as three choices for deepening and adding dimension to the other shadows. Also, Telepathy (the silvery highlight color) is in a larger pan as if it should be used as an all over base/browbone/blending color, but for my skintone it is too frosty for this purpose. It is a GORGEOUS color and is great on the lid or applied sparingly just under the eyebrow, but IMO Killing Jar (the pinky-gold) is the better all-over highlight and should be in the larger pan.

Aside from the minor fallout issues and the arrangement of these colors, I have nothing bad to say about these shadows. They are all standouts. Probably not the best palette for beginners but if you have some good brushes, blending skills, and the imagination to break out of the quads, I'd recommend it.

on 11/24/2014 11:15:00 PM

I love this palette, the shadows are amazingly pigmented, creamy, lasting and it comes with 3 huge pan's of highlight shades (the ones you usually run out of first). The looks can be versatile and the packaging is beautiful with a decent sized mirror, my only complaint is the fallout but that is expected with eyeshadow this soft.

on 6/30/2014 12:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This product is great for cool and warm tone looks. Perfect traveling palette!

on 6/21/2014 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is a beautiful palette with lots of pigmentation!!
It has very nice colors in there and they feel very soft.
The only thing is that there is a little bit of fall outs.
Also, if you are on the market for a neutral, everyday type of palette, well.. maybe this isn't for you. It is so well pigmented that the colors are very bright and bold. I like that kind of colors but I sometime have to pull out my naked 1 or an other type of softer colors to balance it to be work appropriate. For night looks, this is awesome!

on 5/2/2014 4:39:00 PM

The monarch palette has a good combination of cool and warm tones IMO. Aside from the striking orange and gold color, it also has a light silvery grey(delaney) a taupey grey(disintegration) a light peach pink with silver shimmer(killing jar). There are technically only 2 or 3 browns. But keep in mind, these are very soft, tap don't swipe or you'll get lots of powder. Also tap off your brush, I've experienced some of the excess powder fall in my eyes thats why i took 1 lippy off. I find the shimmery shadows shimmery not metallic so it's easy to wear everyday. I'm not too crazy about cardboard packaging BUT suprisingly I love this one. I feel it does not get dirty as fast as the lorac pro. It's thicker than the lorac pro and a bit wider but it's super sturdy and heavy for a cardboard packaging but still slim and sleek and good for traveling. It does not look cheap and I really love the butterfly design, it's edgy not childish. I'm not a fan of Kat Von D products, in fact this is my first purchase and I think this is the best packaging she's done. I am seriously thinking of getting the chrysalis palette because I swatched the plummy purples and they look beautiful too.

on 7/26/2017 2:34:00 AM

I was surprised when I heared KVD was discontinuing this palette. I consider it one of her best. I was lucky enough to grab it as soon as it released in Australia. The shadows are more pigmented than any other eyehadows you'll find in the market and at a reasonable price too. The colours are beautiful and can be a used to make a variety of looks. I do find I need some mattes to make the shimmers work in this palette and that is why I bought the Shade and Light palette which is pigmented too. They compliment each other well. The shimmers are beautiful in this palette and a little goes along way. I think this palette will out last any other as I only use so little to get the maximum pigment. KVD should definitely bring this back. Can't wait till she comes out with a warm tone palette. First in line for that one.

on 10/31/2016 4:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got it secondhand from a person and this turned to be the most pigmented and buttery eyeshadows I have had ever touched in my life. If you have the luck to get it, get it. I mean, its even more buttery than butter. It's that good. You don't even need to put in effort to blend, it's atrocious. Everytime I use this I get really confused because this is way too good to be real??? HOw is this even real??? I find that that it's much better in quality than the Shade and Light eye palette but both are really good palettes.
It's a must have in my collection. Now it'll be a pain to find a alternative palette though because it's discontinued:))))) whyyyyy

on 8/28/2016 4:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is one of Kat Von D's most stellar palettes. I think it may be one of her best. Whenever I do a look with this I always love my eye-shadow that day.

The colour stays on forever, looks beautiful without effort and blends really well. Be sure to pick up a little at a time because it's so pigmented.

What makes these eye-shadows stand out is that they don't blend and disappear into one another, you will be able to see individual colours in your eye-shadow look.

The colour selection in the Monarch is the best I've ever seen. You may need a few neutrals from the Shade and Light or another palette to allow for more looks. But the palette inspires me to play with great colours.

Love and will repurchase if I can.

on 6/24/2016 12:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

OMG I'm in love with this palette. I love KVD eyeshadow and this does not disappoint. You can create a variety of looks with this from neutral to all out glam. As always the shadows are intensely pigmented and so so creamy. This really is the ultimate do anything palette with a perfect mix of matte & shimmer. Please start selling in the UK as it's so hard to get hold of.