Kat Von D Monarch

Monarch

4.7

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm surprised there aren't more reviews for Kat Von D's Monarch eyeshadow palette. This is my very first Kat Von D purchase ever. Like the previous reviewer, I guess the image I had of the brand was that it was younger, edgier and sort of "nastier" than I am at my stage of life. And I assumed that the products were of cheap quality. Well, I can't comment on other products in her line but, man, was I ever WRONG with regard to this palette. I have only used it a few times so far, but I am pleased by the colour array in the palette and really pleased and surprised by the quality of the shadows. These are so soft and lovely to use - texture and pigment wise, they are right up there with my beloved shadows by Hourglass (the discontinued duos) and Guerlain. The colours in this palette are not outrageous either. I also like the groupings of 4 shades - a light highlight/all over base shade and 3 complementary shadows to use together, though, of course, you can coordinate any of the 12 shadows in the palette any way you like. Today, to my surprise I used shadows from the left hand "quartet". I usually avoid orange or bright copper toned shadows but using Wrath to deepen just the outer crease and outer corner made it wearable and pretty. I might even try it applied on my mobile lid next (I did that last night before washing my face for bed and was surprised by how okay it looked). I'm glad I saw some reviews online for this palette because it forced me to look beyond the "rocker chick" image I had of this line. Irksome that it's so much more expensive here in Canada than it is in the US but I'm still glad I have it. Also annoying is the fact that the shadows aren't labelled; there is labelling underneath but, believe me, that is very confusing to lots of folks (are the names UNDER the shadows they apply to or is it a "mirror image" labelling?). Once I finally figured it out, I labelled the shadows using a "marks everything" fine tipped marker. Because of the black packaging, it doesn't show up terribly clearly but it does show up!

on 5/2/2014 4:39:00 PM

The monarch palette has a good combination of cool and warm tones IMO. Aside from the striking orange and gold color, it also has a light silvery grey(delaney) a taupey grey(disintegration) a light peach pink with silver shimmer(killing jar). There are technically only 2 or 3 browns. But keep in mind, these are very soft, tap don't swipe or you'll get lots of powder. Also tap off your brush, I've experienced some of the excess powder fall in my eyes thats why i took 1 lippy off. I find the shimmery shadows shimmery not metallic so it's easy to wear everyday. I'm not too crazy about cardboard packaging BUT suprisingly I love this one. I feel it does not get dirty as fast as the lorac pro. It's thicker than the lorac pro and a bit wider but it's super sturdy and heavy for a cardboard packaging but still slim and sleek and good for traveling. It does not look cheap and I really love the butterfly design, it's edgy not childish. I'm not a fan of Kat Von D products, in fact this is my first purchase and I think this is the best packaging she's done. I am seriously thinking of getting the chrysalis palette because I swatched the plummy purples and they look beautiful too.

on 4/17/2015 1:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had been eyeballing this palette for a really long time, and when the Sephora VIB sale came up this month, I decided I'd take the plunge and buy the last one on their shelves.
I absolutely love this palette. I find it to be incredibly versatile, and the colors are so harmonious that you could use any combination and they'd compliment each other perfectly. (This is in stark contrast to the Lorac Pro 2 palette, which has great colors, pigmentation, and texture, but some of the colors just do not work with anything else in the palette, so I rarely end up using about 30% of the palette.) Having a good harmony among the colors is what really makes this product stand out. Even with the UD Naked palettes, essentially what you are getting is slight variations on a single theme. Yes, you can use them for day-to-night looks, but the colors are all very similar to each other. But with the Monarch palette, the colors are all quite different (save a couple shades that are similar), so the variety of looks available makes for a very convenient collection. No need to break out three or four individual shadows to accompany it.
The texture is buttery and finely milled (though does result in some fallout, but no worse than the UD Vice 3). The colors are highly pigmented, but buildable, and they blend like a dream.
The packaging is bulky, but gorgeous. I'd have preferred something sturdier, but I generally don't bring my palettes around in my bag, so as long as it's safe at home, it won't be an issue.
Price-wise, at $46 it's about what I'd expect a mid-range luxury eyeshadow palette to be. But, you do get a decent amount of product, and with every color being wearable and usable, I feel like that's a fair price.
It should also be noted that KVD's products are cruelty free, and most in the line (soon to be all) are vegan.
I will definitely repurchase this palette, as well as explore more of her palettes. (It was a toss-up between this and her eye contouring kit, but this seemed more versatile.)

on 4/18/2014 9:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This was not something I was expecting to fall in love with. I generally think the Kat Von D brand is kind of specific to a certain kind of person who is very into tattoos and is a bit younger *clears throat* than me. Putting that aside, this palette contains some extremely wearable shades for both every day, and for night. You can really get creative without using bright, crazy colors. The textures of these neutrals vary from matte to satin to high-shimmer and metallic. All of the shades are soft, finely-milled and extremely pigmented. I'm absolutely obsessed with this palette and hope there will be more just like it. I also have Naked, Naked 2, Lorac Pro, LM Artist, and this stands out for me as the most exciting neutral palette so far. The packaging is fine, but a bit bulky for me...I would have preferred something a bit slimmer and lighter but it's very nice quality nonetheless.

I've had this palette for a while now and have had plenty of time to play with it. I got it as my big splurge during the VIB sale. This palette was definitely a great choice. You can make looks from natural to smoky, with a touch of bright and fun. These are no doubt some of the most pigmented shadows I've ever worked with. You barely need to touch your brush to the shadow and you have more than enough pigment. Keep this in mind especially for Wrath (the burnt orange) and Papilio, Disintegration, and Shadow Box (the dark browns and taupes). Sometimes shades this pigmented do not blend well but that is not the case with this palette; every shade is very workable and there's not a single dud formula-wise nor color-wise. Shadow Box gives me some blending trouble, but it's workable with the right fluffy brush (I usually use a Too Faced Teddy Bear Hair brush). Because of the amazing pigmentation, the staying power is incredible with these shadows- probably better than any of my other high-end shadows.

I would not call the shadows "buttery" or "velvety," they're more powdery. There is a bit of fallout, but moreso in the pan. Summerfly and Delaney (the glittery gold and silver) are the ones where you most need to worry about face fallout. I would consider doing your eyes first, then your base makeup when using this palette, so you can fix up the fallout (I keep thinking I'll do this, but doing my base makeup first seems to be a habit I just can't break).

Every shade is very true to color and applies exactly as it looks in the pan, with the exception of Entomology (the matte highlight shade)- it is not as yellow as it looks in the pan and applies as more of a creamy ivory (a good thing!). Vanish (the matte taupe) looks a bit boring but it is an amazing transition/crease shade and can be used with any color in this palette, and with lots of my other shadows as well. What I don't quite like about this palette is how the "quads" are arranged, with the exception of the one on the far left. You have to use your imagination with this palette and break out of these quads (there's lots of YT tutorials). The far right quad is WAY too dark for me to use all together, it ends up looking like I've been punched in the face. All three of those dark colors are better used lightly in the crease, outer corner, or as liners with any of the lighter colors to the left. So I have stopped thinking about that set as a "quad" and think of them more as three choices for deepening and adding dimension to the other shadows. Also, Telepathy (the silvery highlight color) is in a larger pan as if it should be used as an all over base/browbone/blending color, but for my skintone it is too frosty for this purpose. It is a GORGEOUS color and is great on the lid or applied sparingly just under the eyebrow, but IMO Killing Jar (the pinky-gold) is the better all-over highlight and should be in the larger pan.

Aside from the minor fallout issues and the arrangement of these colors, I have nothing bad to say about these shadows. They are all standouts. Probably not the best palette for beginners but if you have some good brushes, blending skills, and the imagination to break out of the quads, I'd recommend it.

on 10/29/2015 9:56:00 AM

This is a go-to palette for me, right up there with my beloved UD palettes. I have this one and the Shade & Light eye palette from Kat Von D and I continue to be very pleased with the quality, application and color payoff from these shadows.

12 shadows at $46 for the palette - The shadows work out to about $3.83 per shadow - I can't buy a L'Oreal single for that unless there is an excellent sale. . . . and these are better.

This is a high quality palette with an edgier vibe but don't let it fool you - I think that this is one of the most neutral palettes I have purchased and would work for almost anyone.

Highly recommended.

on 8/28/2015 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

AMAZING!! I honestly think this palette has a better formula than urban decay does. Goes on smoothly, blends like a dream, it's already laid out in quads for those who need help, and you get a TON of product. I doubt I'll ever go through the whole thing. If I had to mention something I didn't like, I'd say the shadows are almost to soft. Like you seriously have to just barely swipe your brush across the top and you can do your whole eye with that. It last soooooo long on the lids and doesn't crease. I really, really, really love it.

on 1/6/2015 10:09:00 PM

I love this pallet. Ever shadow is equally as good, there are no duds all shades are equally as great. Shadow are pigmented, easy to blend, and they last on the lid. There is fall out in the pan but I get zero fall out from these shadows when they are on my eyes, I don't even have to tap off access. I reach for these shadows more than my Urban Decay.

on 10/18/2014 5:50:00 PM

This pallet is amazing! i highly recommend it to everyone the orangy color is a fantastic color for fall! the pigmentation is outstanding! if you guys wanna see it on action and check out the look i came up with go ahead and check out my video featuring the Kat Von D Monarch pallet i would appreciate it if you like comment and subscribe thanks for taking your time to watching it and i hope you enjoy it! (:

on 4/29/2014 12:44:00 PM

Yes! Yes to everything. This palette is spectacular, the best that Kat Von D has ever released. The colors are some of the most buttery and most opaque eyeshadows I have - even better than UD in terms of texture and consistency. The color range is also amazing - a lot of copper and warm tones ranging from highlight to blending to crease and defining shades. You can definitely do a lot of looks with this! Of course the packaging is always beautiful, with a lovely ombre butterfly on the cover and a good mirror on the inside. I do prefer her new packaging to the tin-like packaging of some of her other palettes. I recommend everyone pick this up, it's a great staple neutral palette and the colors are perfect for summer. :)