Kat Von D Monarch

4.7

on 4/18/2014 9:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This was not something I was expecting to fall in love with. I generally think the Kat Von D brand is kind of specific to a certain kind of person who is very into tattoos and is a bit younger *clears throat* than me. Putting that aside, this palette contains some extremely wearable shades for both every day, and for night. You can really get creative without using bright, crazy colors. The textures of these neutrals vary from matte to satin to high-shimmer and metallic. All of the shades are soft, finely-milled and extremely pigmented. I'm absolutely obsessed with this palette and hope there will be more just like it. I also have Naked, Naked 2, Lorac Pro, LM Artist, and this stands out for me as the most exciting neutral palette so far. The packaging is fine, but a bit bulky for me...I would have preferred something a bit slimmer and lighter but it's very nice quality nonetheless.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm surprised there aren't more reviews for Kat Von D's Monarch eyeshadow palette. This is my very first Kat Von D purchase ever. Like the previous reviewer, I guess the image I had of the brand was that it was younger, edgier and sort of "nastier" than I am at my stage of life. And I assumed that the products were of cheap quality. Well, I can't comment on other products in her line but, man, was I ever WRONG with regard to this palette. I have only used it a few times so far, but I am pleased by the colour array in the palette and really pleased and surprised by the quality of the shadows. These are so soft and lovely to use - texture and pigment wise, they are right up there with my beloved shadows by Hourglass (the discontinued duos) and Guerlain. The colours in this palette are not outrageous either. I also like the groupings of 4 shades - a light highlight/all over base shade and 3 complementary shadows to use together, though, of course, you can coordinate any of the 12 shadows in the palette any way you like. Today, to my surprise I used shadows from the left hand "quartet". I usually avoid orange or bright copper toned shadows but using Wrath to deepen just the outer crease and outer corner made it wearable and pretty. I might even try it applied on my mobile lid next (I did that last night before washing my face for bed and was surprised by how okay it looked). I'm glad I saw some reviews online for this palette because it forced me to look beyond the "rocker chick" image I had of this line. Irksome that it's so much more expensive here in Canada than it is in the US but I'm still glad I have it. Also annoying is the fact that the shadows aren't labelled; there is labelling underneath but, believe me, that is very confusing to lots of folks (are the names UNDER the shadows they apply to or is it a "mirror image" labelling?). Once I finally figured it out, I labelled the shadows using a "marks everything" fine tipped marker. Because of the black packaging, it doesn't show up terribly clearly but it does show up!

on 4/29/2014 12:44:00 PM

Yes! Yes to everything. This palette is spectacular, the best that Kat Von D has ever released. The colors are some of the most buttery and most opaque eyeshadows I have - even better than UD in terms of texture and consistency. The color range is also amazing - a lot of copper and warm tones ranging from highlight to blending to crease and defining shades. You can definitely do a lot of looks with this! Of course the packaging is always beautiful, with a lovely ombre butterfly on the cover and a good mirror on the inside. I do prefer her new packaging to the tin-like packaging of some of her other palettes. I recommend everyone pick this up, it's a great staple neutral palette and the colors are perfect for summer. :)

on 5/2/2014 4:39:00 PM

The monarch palette has a good combination of cool and warm tones IMO. Aside from the striking orange and gold color, it also has a light silvery grey(delaney) a taupey grey(disintegration) a light peach pink with silver shimmer(killing jar). There are technically only 2 or 3 browns. But keep in mind, these are very soft, tap don't swipe or you'll get lots of powder. Also tap off your brush, I've experienced some of the excess powder fall in my eyes thats why i took 1 lippy off. I find the shimmery shadows shimmery not metallic so it's easy to wear everyday. I'm not too crazy about cardboard packaging BUT suprisingly I love this one. I feel it does not get dirty as fast as the lorac pro. It's thicker than the lorac pro and a bit wider but it's super sturdy and heavy for a cardboard packaging but still slim and sleek and good for traveling. It does not look cheap and I really love the butterfly design, it's edgy not childish. I'm not a fan of Kat Von D products, in fact this is my first purchase and I think this is the best packaging she's done. I am seriously thinking of getting the chrysalis palette because I swatched the plummy purples and they look beautiful too.

on 5/27/2014 10:00:00 AM

I bought this palette during a Sephora sale, and initially thought I was in love. The presentation is beautiful and it seems so versatile. But lately, I have been preferring matte shadows, especially for my lids, and this palette just doesn't have enough matte options for me. When you factor out the two shadows on the end that are liners (Shadow Box and Deadhead), there are only 2 matte shadows--Entomology (top left) and Vanish (4th from right on the bottom). I was dealing with this, but combined with the fallout, which is so bad I have had to wash my face and start over, I just couldn't find a reason to keep this $46 palette. I am a big fan of the Ladybird palette, however.

on 5/29/2014 7:58:00 PM

I don't have a set of shadows like this... The texture and pigmentation is amazing. Soft, buttery and pigmented... It doesn't get better.

on 6/21/2014 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is a beautiful palette with lots of pigmentation!!
It has very nice colors in there and they feel very soft.
The only thing is that there is a little bit of fall outs.
Also, if you are on the market for a neutral, everyday type of palette, well.. maybe this isn't for you. It is so well pigmented that the colors are very bright and bold. I like that kind of colors but I sometime have to pull out my naked 1 or an other type of softer colors to balance it to be work appropriate. For night looks, this is awesome!

on 6/30/2014 12:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This product is great for cool and warm tone looks. Perfect traveling palette!

on 10/18/2014 5:50:00 PM

This pallet is amazing! i highly recommend it to everyone the orangy color is a fantastic color for fall! the pigmentation is outstanding! if you guys wanna see it on action and check out the look i came up with go ahead and check out my video featuring the Kat Von D Monarch pallet i would appreciate it if you like comment and subscribe thanks for taking your time to watching it and i hope you enjoy it! (:

on 11/24/2014 11:15:00 PM

I love this palette, the shadows are amazingly pigmented, creamy, lasting and it comes with 3 huge pan's of highlight shades (the ones you usually run out of first). The looks can be versatile and the packaging is beautiful with a decent sized mirror, my only complaint is the fallout but that is expected with eyeshadow this soft.