Kat Von D Monarch

Monarch

4.7

on 8/28/2016 4:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is one of Kat Von D's most stellar palettes. I think it may be one of her best. Whenever I do a look with this I always love my eye-shadow that day.

The colour stays on forever, looks beautiful without effort and blends really well. Be sure to pick up a little at a time because it's so pigmented.

What makes these eye-shadows stand out is that they don't blend and disappear into one another, you will be able to see individual colours in your eye-shadow look.

The colour selection in the Monarch is the best I've ever seen. You may need a few neutrals from the Shade and Light or another palette to allow for more looks. But the palette inspires me to play with great colours.

Love and will repurchase if I can.

on 4/2/2016 12:22:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

I spent SO much time looking for the 'right' palette. I wanted one that was super versatile (at 50~$ a palette, I wasn't looking to spend on multiple palettes). I was hesitant at first because these colours didn't seem like they were subtle enough for everyday, work wear, but I kind of fell in love and bought them anyway (all that research, out the window).

I am so glad I bought this palette! The colours are stunning, VERY pigmented and sooo blendy! It's a no brainer to get a really nice put together look with these. I'm not an eyeshadow expert, nor someone who's organized enough to have a lot of time to get the look right when I'm running out the door. Also they used to smell like roses! Sadly I think the smell has gone away now that I've had it for about a month. The shiny pink (killing jar) is a reallyyy nice shimmery/frosted pink that doesn't make me (someone with pale skin) look like I have an eye irritation. The other colours are all really lovely. You also don't need to use a lot of product to get the colour.

My only gripe is that the looks you achieve, while really nice, can lean towards the more dark and dramatic if you're not careful. They'll still look nice, but might be a bit more makeup than you were intending to wear to a work function. But again... not organized enough to spend the time necessary to be careful with this.

If I had to compare this to Urban Decay shadows, for the sake of comparison, these are so much nicer imo. I have the Naked Basic palette and I found the consistency to not be as blendable as the KVD shadows. Nor did they have the same smooth finish or pigmented-ness.

I'm undecided if I would buy it again, just because there are SO MANY palettes out there, but I would be SO SO sad if I lost it.

I have very dry eyes, so I don't think I'll ever find eyeshadow that doesn't make my eyes tired and itchy, but it takes quite a while for them to start to feel unpleasant. I've been wearing these shadows for over 12 hours now and they're still tolerable. They have faded a lot (tbf 12 hours is a long time), but aside from the crease it doesn't look patchy or gross. These shadows do need a primer if you're going to be wearing them for a long time (depending on your eyes/eyelids).

Overall, definitely recommend them.

I've had this palette for a while now and have had plenty of time to play with it. I got it as my big splurge during the VIB sale. This palette was definitely a great choice. You can make looks from natural to smoky, with a touch of bright and fun. These are no doubt some of the most pigmented shadows I've ever worked with. You barely need to touch your brush to the shadow and you have more than enough pigment. Keep this in mind especially for Wrath (the burnt orange) and Papilio, Disintegration, and Shadow Box (the dark browns and taupes). Sometimes shades this pigmented do not blend well but that is not the case with this palette; every shade is very workable and there's not a single dud formula-wise nor color-wise. Shadow Box gives me some blending trouble, but it's workable with the right fluffy brush (I usually use a Too Faced Teddy Bear Hair brush). Because of the amazing pigmentation, the staying power is incredible with these shadows- probably better than any of my other high-end shadows.

I would not call the shadows "buttery" or "velvety," they're more powdery. There is a bit of fallout, but moreso in the pan. Summerfly and Delaney (the glittery gold and silver) are the ones where you most need to worry about face fallout. I would consider doing your eyes first, then your base makeup when using this palette, so you can fix up the fallout (I keep thinking I'll do this, but doing my base makeup first seems to be a habit I just can't break).

Every shade is very true to color and applies exactly as it looks in the pan, with the exception of Entomology (the matte highlight shade)- it is not as yellow as it looks in the pan and applies as more of a creamy ivory (a good thing!). Vanish (the matte taupe) looks a bit boring but it is an amazing transition/crease shade and can be used with any color in this palette, and with lots of my other shadows as well. What I don't quite like about this palette is how the "quads" are arranged, with the exception of the one on the far left. You have to use your imagination with this palette and break out of these quads (there's lots of YT tutorials). The far right quad is WAY too dark for me to use all together, it ends up looking like I've been punched in the face. All three of those dark colors are better used lightly in the crease, outer corner, or as liners with any of the lighter colors to the left. So I have stopped thinking about that set as a "quad" and think of them more as three choices for deepening and adding dimension to the other shadows. Also, Telepathy (the silvery highlight color) is in a larger pan as if it should be used as an all over base/browbone/blending color, but for my skintone it is too frosty for this purpose. It is a GORGEOUS color and is great on the lid or applied sparingly just under the eyebrow, but IMO Killing Jar (the pinky-gold) is the better all-over highlight and should be in the larger pan.

Aside from the minor fallout issues and the arrangement of these colors, I have nothing bad to say about these shadows. They are all standouts. Probably not the best palette for beginners but if you have some good brushes, blending skills, and the imagination to break out of the quads, I'd recommend it.

I just have looove for this palette. Excellent pigmentation, súper smooth and easy to blend. I love the colours. And the packaging screams kat vond d, and it's something that I love of her products.

on 8/28/2015 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

AMAZING!! I honestly think this palette has a better formula than urban decay does. Goes on smoothly, blends like a dream, it's already laid out in quads for those who need help, and you get a TON of product. I doubt I'll ever go through the whole thing. If I had to mention something I didn't like, I'd say the shadows are almost to soft. Like you seriously have to just barely swipe your brush across the top and you can do your whole eye with that. It last soooooo long on the lids and doesn't crease. I really, really, really love it.

on 3/31/2015 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Monarch is my HG eyeshadow palette, hands down. The combinations are endless and have been excellent no matter what I've tried. I have warm-olive skin, and I can use all the colors equally well for either everyday neutrals or dramatic evening looks. My favorite color turned out to be Wrath (the red-gold on the left), which is surprisingly wearable if you build it up lightly. The colors are all velvety and blend well with excellent payoff - the gold one has some fallout, though. I'm only giving it a 3 for packaging because although it is pretty, it is bulky.

on 6/30/2014 12:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This product is great for cool and warm tone looks. Perfect traveling palette!