MAC Cosmetics Raffia

MAC Cosmetics Raffia

1 review

on 4/17/2014 10:40:00 PM

I just had to do it. I broke out a Vintage MAC Nail Polish from the mid to late 1990s called "Raffia" and decided to use it.
I'm not certain how long of a run this colour had. Mine was part of a GWP from Nordstroms which included two full sized MAC nail polishes: "Raffia" and "Gel" (Having nothing to do with Gel polishes), a 1 OZ bottle of MAC hand lotion and a File, all in a Little clear fronted MAC Manicure case. Very cute.

Apparently "Raffia" never became a big seller. There is a huge dearth of information out there about this colour.
It's "Raffia" as in that silk raffia. It's a lovely deep plum like colour of some lovely old silks that one rarely sees these days. It's an unusual colour and I'm going to attempt to attatch a photo or two. I don't think I have any dupes for this and I have a LOT of nail polish.

I found one mention of it in the comments at the end of a Temptalia blog where someone had commented that they had received "Raffia" and "Bamboo" as GWP MAC nail polishes in the mid 1990s and "although they were such beautiful shades, the formula was the most horrific of *any* brand I have ever tried", etc

Can't agree on application. Even working with a bottle that expired in 1999, I had no major streak problems (did have to touch up the ring finger after I saw the photos) and fully opaque coverage in 2 thin coats. I used butter LONDON as a base coat, Seche Vite as a top coat and then Sally Hansen Dry & Go Drops about 3 to 5 minutes after the Seche Vite. Drying time between coat is about 10 to 15 minutes so it is not fast drying but not all that slow.

Granted, perhaps it was the base coat, the Seche Vite and or the dryer drops which spelled the difference between my experience and that of the commentator on Temptalia.

Thus far, I cannot attest to longevity except to say no chips in two days. Lovely shade, it's a shame that MAC discontinued this. Now I am on a hunt to see if one of their other colours emulates this.

If anyone knows of a good dupe, drop me a line. I don't think that I will be able to find another one of these. Thanks!

Popular Polishes