Urban Decay Electric Pressed Pigment Palette

Filtered by skin type : Dry
Urban Decay Electric Pressed Pigment Palette

4.8

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Wanted to branch out on the eyeshadow front, but being blessed (?) with monolids, overdoing eye makeup can quickly end up turning into "unintentional allergy eyes" or "smoky black eye" or "that chewing gum commercial stewardess eye."

Spotted this baby online at Sephora and decided it was the best way to try out something I likely would not have otherwise. I liked that the colors were, well . . . electric, while most other brands' bold palettes seem to contain at least ⅓ – ½ safe neutral mixers. I was also attracted to "pigment" in the title, especially as it was an Urban Decay product and their color payoff is already notoriously good. (Can't say the package design hurt, either—PS it's somewhat hefty, but built like a brick—nor did the $24 sale price.)

I was hesitant the first day I tried it on my actual eyes (I swatched the orange shade dry on my arm upon arrivale). I had an appointment and no time for a trial run, so lucky for me, this palette was a joy from the beginning, even for bright-color beginners.

The palette deserves its name, as the color payoff is amazing and bright. I chose (and prefer) to apply what I can only describe as the lighter shades (e.g. yellow) using a brush dampened with setting spray. The included double-ended brush is small, firm, and synthetic and decent quality for a kit brush. One end is a small lid brush (especially good for packing on wet) and the other is a wide, stubby smudge brush that works for softening liner (or packing shadow as liner), applying color to the lower lashline, or more precise crease work.

The colors didn't budge all day, though it's worth mentioning I wore a lid primer (not Primer Potion because I am bad). A light/white primer would work especially well to amplify color. The shadows were surprisingly easy to blend, which isn't always the case with lid primers. Wet, the shadows applied smoothly and evenly and dried to a satin-like finish. Dry shadows were very soft and powdery, but didn't suffer too much fallout.

The shade selection is diverse, aside from bright (as mentioned), which makes it simple to play the equivalent of Five Degrees of Kevin Bacon & Eggs Drag Brunch (you will not win that makeup contest). Meaning, it's simple to stay in one color family to avoid clashing or muddying things up while blending. If you want to, of course. The metallic silver-cum-taupe works well as an inner-eye highlight or a veil over the other pigments. It's a truly universal palette, which isn't always the case, and one that I actually see being most complementary/compatible for WOC (not my pale Asian color).

A good buy for any eyeshadow enthusiast of any skill level or anyone looking to expand their makeup horizons. Surprisingly adaptable, though maybe not for funerals (or family court). One hint: if you're hesitant like me, know it really helps to use color ALL the way around the eye. 👍

This review is long overdue! I've had this for a couple years now and when I want color this is the palette I reach for. I find the colors very pigmented, easy to use, and long-lasting.
Urban is seriously the best purple ever. Other standouts are Jilted (fuchsia with a flash of blue), Fringe (bright teal), Savage (matte bright pink), Freak (light grassy green), and Thrash (yellow-green).

The weakest shade is the silver Revolt. It's one the least impressive silvers I've used. It's okay but I expected more.

This is marketed as a 'pressed pigment' palette, not an eye shadow palette. Some colors are not FDA approved so are not supposed to be used near the eyes. But these colors and ingredients are approved in other places (ex: UK, sleek acid palette) so I would be careful and see if you react to the shadows. Your experience may vary. Can/will stain eyelids.

Would LOVE to see an Electric 2 with a shimmery bright orange and a true yellow and a bright shimmer coral.

If you are looking for a colorful palette to pair with a neutral palette or you just want to create some colorful looks I say try this one. Definitely swatch in person first but I don't think you will be disappointed!

on 3/4/2015 3:14:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

Surprisingly wearable considering every colour is so bright! I get a lot more use out of it than I anticipated as it's great for adding just a pop of colour to a more conservative look. Admittedly I have left the house wearing every colour at once for a peacock look and not appeared clownish. Who'd have thought? With the exception of revolt, which is sheerer than the rest, every shade is super pigmented, soft but not powdery, and easy to both pack on and blend. Revolt is best applied as a glittery wash over other shadows or with the finger tip as an inner highlight. The blues and purples are super pretty and so, so wearable despite being the staples of this neon palette. Fringe was my favourite before purchase but find I have to wrangle it a bit more than the rest and pack on a bit more for that really lush green. I never in a million years thought I'd wear thrash, but it's actually very flattering and compliments the blues, purples and pinks nicely. Savage and slow burn can stain, I've heard, but I haven't had that problem after a full day of wear. These shadows hold their own without a primer or base but do benefit from using the additional products just for a bit more vibrancy and wear time. I haven't tried it yet but the SA mentioned you can mix the colours with hairspray and use them in place of hair chalk. Being pressed pigments I'm sure there's a lot of ways you could use them. Mix with a balm or gloss for the lips, a medium for body art... You can be very creative with this palette. Total win.

on 7/7/2014 5:24:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I'll start by saying this; the only reason I ticked off the repurchase option is because I'm getting so much use out of this palette that I might need a new one in a year or two. The packaging is great, sturdy and hard, not cardboard, and the brush it comes with is magic. It's the perfect palette for a pop of color or a bold eye. This might become the new fad, seeing as Naked started an epidemic of neutral palettes. Onto shadow quality; some of the colors require a bit of build up to reach pan opacity, but when they're opaque, you can hold the palette to your face and you'll see the same color on your eye. Very true to color. I have had absolutely no problems with the reds, but if you have sensitive eyes I'd be wary. I can use some as blushes, use them for fx makeup, or use them everyday as I have been. I haven't been able to put it down since I got it, it's incorporated into my everyday routine somehow. I would highly recommend this to anyone, makeup aficionado or not. Urban Decay, you got yourself another winner!

on 6/25/2014 11:02:00 AM

The Electric Palette is an unbelievably colorful, highly pigmented group of shadows and a unique addition to anyone's make up collection. Because so many palettes these days are neutral tones, it is delightful to have the pigments in this compact for either totally bright looks or to add to a more everyday look for a pop of color. I admit I will probably add the pop of color more than walk around with bright purple or orange eyes but....

There are quite a few blues in this grouping but my favorite colors are the greenish and greenish/yellow hues. Urban Decay has issued a disclaimer with certain of these pigments indicating that some of them (seems like the ones with the underlying red tones) are not meant for use around the eye area. I personally have had no issues with irritation when using the indicated shadows around my eyes.

I like the fact that there is a great color palette out there with shadows that blend wonderfully and inspire some imagination.

on 6/24/2014 12:07:00 PM

This palette was my introduction to Urban Decay. I had lusted over other UD stuff, but never broke down and bought it. I got a gift card and decided to take a leap of faith with this product. I was not disappointed. This palette is everything that everyone raved about. The pigments are absolutely amazing. Bright and vivid colors work well by themselves for a flamboyant look, re just around the lash area paired with nude eyeshadow for a pop of color. There are endless possibilities with this palette. Definitely use a primer and preferably a white base, because they can stain. But, even when they did stain my lids, a little concealer or tinted primer fixed the problem.

on 5/24/2014 3:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am a sucker for bright eyeshadow, and as a long time UD addict I've been getting impatient with all this neutral nonsense. The day I saw this I knew I would be buying it, there was no way I couldn't - even if the shade choice isn't perfect - it's pretty great.

Large mirror in the top half, which I love. Strong magnetic closure, hard plastic shell, and large pans. This is a nice palette. The double ended brush is fine, I've never been thrilled by UD's palette brushes and this one is no exception. It has purple bristles, so it looks cool, and it works fine when you don't have your proper brushes with you, that's about as excited as I can get it.

These need no base, they are insanely bright and have very little chalkiness or fallout for being so deeply pigmented. Thrash has definite green tones, which make it more dayglo bright yellow than just lemon yellow and it really stands out. Freak is very sparkly, but is the sheerest of the palette other than Revolt, which is more of a dense topcoat. Freak does disappoint me in its color payoff but only compared to the other shades. All of the colors have some degree of shimmer or sparkle, some barely glint and look mostly matte while other are frosty. For me Freak and Revolt have the most fallout but are manageable, the denser colors have little.

I could have done without three blues in this palette, though this version of Chaos seems more blue and smoother than the Chaos from the original Vice palette, which was fairly chalky and seemed too black. Gonzo is to die for, and Fringe is also beautiful but making it more green than teal would have helped Freak work better with more colors of the palette. Or making Freak darker, or denser. I'm really not happy with Freak.

I swatched NYX's Primal pigments before buying my Electric palette, obviously UD won but I was a little surprised it wasn't even close. None of NYX's pigments, some of which were very close to some of the Electric shades, were anywhere near as bright and deep, and all of them were chalky with lots of fallout. They looked like what the UD swatches looked like after I tried to rub them away. If you're going for brights, cheap stuff isn't going to give good payoff, even if in the pan it's a close dupe.

This isn't a palette for everyone, but it's a palette for more people than you might think. You can use two or three related shades for looks that are bright and eyecatching without being clownish. You can use contrasting colors or as many shades as possible and get wild looks if you want, but you can just toe the line with this palette too. I imagine that a lot of people will find their Urban and Jilted disappearing faster than the rest, the two purples in this palette would sell well on their own.

on 4/20/2014 7:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Bought this for my 9 year old - as these colors are BRIGHT as heck.
Apply with care and have fun channeling Rainbow Bright. Retails for $49 but I snagged one for $36.

Update: It is now 2016 and my (now) 11 year old loves and uses this palette. Worth the money I paid.