Urban Decay Electric Pressed Pigment Palette

Filtered by age: 30-35
Urban Decay Electric Pressed Pigment Palette

4.7

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Wanted to branch out on the eyeshadow front, but being blessed (?) with monolids, overdoing eye makeup can quickly end up turning into "unintentional allergy eyes" or "smoky black eye" or "that chewing gum commercial stewardess eye."

Spotted this baby online at Sephora and decided it was the best way to try out something I likely would not have otherwise. I liked that the colors were, well . . . electric, while most other brands' bold palettes seem to contain at least ⅓ – ½ safe neutral mixers. I was also attracted to "pigment" in the title, especially as it was an Urban Decay product and their color payoff is already notoriously good. (Can't say the package design hurt, either—PS it's somewhat hefty, but built like a brick—nor did the $24 sale price.)

I was hesitant the first day I tried it on my actual eyes (I swatched the orange shade dry on my arm upon arrivale). I had an appointment and no time for a trial run, so lucky for me, this palette was a joy from the beginning, even for bright-color beginners.

The palette deserves its name, as the color payoff is amazing and bright. I chose (and prefer) to apply what I can only describe as the lighter shades (e.g. yellow) using a brush dampened with setting spray. The included double-ended brush is small, firm, and synthetic and decent quality for a kit brush. One end is a small lid brush (especially good for packing on wet) and the other is a wide, stubby smudge brush that works for softening liner (or packing shadow as liner), applying color to the lower lashline, or more precise crease work.

The colors didn't budge all day, though it's worth mentioning I wore a lid primer (not Primer Potion because I am bad). A light/white primer would work especially well to amplify color. The shadows were surprisingly easy to blend, which isn't always the case with lid primers. Wet, the shadows applied smoothly and evenly and dried to a satin-like finish. Dry shadows were very soft and powdery, but didn't suffer too much fallout.

The shade selection is diverse, aside from bright (as mentioned), which makes it simple to play the equivalent of Five Degrees of Kevin Bacon & Eggs Drag Brunch (you will not win that makeup contest). Meaning, it's simple to stay in one color family to avoid clashing or muddying things up while blending. If you want to, of course. The metallic silver-cum-taupe works well as an inner-eye highlight or a veil over the other pigments. It's a truly universal palette, which isn't always the case, and one that I actually see being most complementary/compatible for WOC (not my pale Asian color).

A good buy for any eyeshadow enthusiast of any skill level or anyone looking to expand their makeup horizons. Surprisingly adaptable, though maybe not for funerals (or family court). One hint: if you're hesitant like me, know it really helps to use color ALL the way around the eye. 👍

on 9/30/2015 10:17:00 AM

First let me say I LOVE bright colors and wear them often. That being said this is a sweet palette to supplement any color lover's makeup collection. My only issue is that some of the colors are less useful than I'd like. The lime ish green doesn't translate well to the skin an appears dull on my pale skin. Some colors stain your skin like the Orange/red.... I wish there was a true bright satin/shimmer yellow and a better lime/chartreuse color.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

on 7/21/2014 4:21:00 PM

I've been stalking this palette for the longest time. Finally I broke down and bought it today!!! It's amazing!!!! The colors are so pigmented and there is no fall out at all. There are so many looks you can create with this palette. I always use the udpp and the colors always pop. I'm so glad I bought this!!!! I can't wait to try out more looks!!

on 5/24/2014 3:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am a sucker for bright eyeshadow, and as a long time UD addict I've been getting impatient with all this neutral nonsense. The day I saw this I knew I would be buying it, there was no way I couldn't - even if the shade choice isn't perfect - it's pretty great.

Large mirror in the top half, which I love. Strong magnetic closure, hard plastic shell, and large pans. This is a nice palette. The double ended brush is fine, I've never been thrilled by UD's palette brushes and this one is no exception. It has purple bristles, so it looks cool, and it works fine when you don't have your proper brushes with you, that's about as excited as I can get it.

These need no base, they are insanely bright and have very little chalkiness or fallout for being so deeply pigmented. Thrash has definite green tones, which make it more dayglo bright yellow than just lemon yellow and it really stands out. Freak is very sparkly, but is the sheerest of the palette other than Revolt, which is more of a dense topcoat. Freak does disappoint me in its color payoff but only compared to the other shades. All of the colors have some degree of shimmer or sparkle, some barely glint and look mostly matte while other are frosty. For me Freak and Revolt have the most fallout but are manageable, the denser colors have little.

I could have done without three blues in this palette, though this version of Chaos seems more blue and smoother than the Chaos from the original Vice palette, which was fairly chalky and seemed too black. Gonzo is to die for, and Fringe is also beautiful but making it more green than teal would have helped Freak work better with more colors of the palette. Or making Freak darker, or denser. I'm really not happy with Freak.

I swatched NYX's Primal pigments before buying my Electric palette, obviously UD won but I was a little surprised it wasn't even close. None of NYX's pigments, some of which were very close to some of the Electric shades, were anywhere near as bright and deep, and all of them were chalky with lots of fallout. They looked like what the UD swatches looked like after I tried to rub them away. If you're going for brights, cheap stuff isn't going to give good payoff, even if in the pan it's a close dupe.

This isn't a palette for everyone, but it's a palette for more people than you might think. You can use two or three related shades for looks that are bright and eyecatching without being clownish. You can use contrasting colors or as many shades as possible and get wild looks if you want, but you can just toe the line with this palette too. I imagine that a lot of people will find their Urban and Jilted disappearing faster than the rest, the two purples in this palette would sell well on their own.

on 5/5/2014 12:00:00 PM

First of all, I want to say...DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED by the brightness of the colors in this palette. You can do a pop of color without going over the top. No, you won't look like a clown if its done correctly. I'm not a fan of all the crazy "looks" and rainbow bright colors that I've seen in regards to this palette. You don't have to wear all the colors together. I like to mix a dab of brightness and do a subtle smokey look with a "pop". This Palette is great for the creative artist in you, as its so versatile in so many ways. I've basically tried every color and love them all. Unlike other palettes which have useless color payoff and make me look tired, THIS one is happiness all around. Plus, there is little to no fallout, coupled with a primer, it lasts for hours and hours, basically until I take it off with makeup remover.

This is top notch quality as most UD eyeshadows. I'd say that its worth adding to your collection if you are into eye shadow. I love it. Have fun with it!!!