CHANEL Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15

Filtered by skin tone : Olive
CHANEL Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15
Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15

3.9

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 5%, Titanium Dioxide 3.1% Inactive Ingredients: Water, Isododecane, Hydrogenated, Polyisobutene, Dimethicone, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Alcohol, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Celluslose, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Propanediol Dicaprylate, Stearakonium Hectorite, Aluminum Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Stearic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Carbonate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Fragrance, Talc, Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Lysine, Timethylsiloxysilicate/Dimethiconol Crosspolymer, Magnesium Chloride, BHT, Tocopherol, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Hydrated Silica (may contain) Ultramarines, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Mica

on 10/12/2018 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I really wanted to love this foundation, especially after reading reviews, but I was dissapointed. I bought this in no.30 (medium light tan skin with yellow undertones, usually NC30) color match was great. It applied silky and had a soft finish, smelled amazing and it made my skin look nice at first. I would say medium coverage at most. I even used the Chanel Les Beiges Sheer Glow powder to set it, however within a few hours at work in an office desk job my makeup had worn off in areas and looked somewhat patchy. I tried it another day, and by noon I looked in the mirror and my face looked oily and shiny- I don’t even have oily skin, so that was really strange. Sadly it’s going back.

on 8/27/2016 8:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really love this foundation.

I was really struggling and nothing was working for me; I have sensitive, highly break-out prone combo skin, and I'm getting older, so fine lines etc.

My skin tone was really irregular and I was getting a lot of breakout zones that wouldn't stop (2 spots turn into 4, then 5, etc) nor heal, nor calm down.

I have a really good diet, and habits, so it was particularly frustrating.

For reference, I have tried, over the course of 2+ years, Shiseido Perfect Refining (dc'd) and the Skin Synchro-thingy, Clé de Peau foundations (liquid and powder) Koh Gen Doh Aqua, KGD powder, Nars Velvet Matte, Lily Lolo mineral makeup, Bare Minerals powder...

I went by a Chanel Counter one day and saw the Velvet Perfection Lumière. I tested it on my hand to see what the texture felt like, as well as the tint, and was intrigued. I got a sample and brought it home to try it.

I immediately could tell upon applying that it was good, but I still hardly dared hope. I used the sample 3 days running- on bare, clean skin, just the foundation, all day- and then promptly went and bought a full bottle.

I was nervous again once I opened the bottle; I figured the sample was a fluke, that I would have issues with it (and no return policy in Japan, too).

I had no problem whatsoever; quite the contrary.

I've been wearing it every day, in all types of summer weather conditions, for about a month. That includes beating sun, heavy rain downfall, typhoons (wind and rain), overcast days, humidity of 90+%, in the city seething with humanity, and at the beach.

It always looks good. It always looks natural. It's kindof unbelievable, and I also can't believe how much it has simplified my beauty rituals, and my mental well-being ! (What is that quote? "A woman who finds her foundation can rule the world." ? lol)

Verdict is that I couldn't be happier. It is definitely the perfect foundation for me.

Coverage is great- naturally covers what you need it to. Will initially accentuate flakey bits, but then the skin seems to heal, and the flakes go away. Ditto for imperfections.

Very liquidy- I remove the cap, put my finger tip on the nozzle tip and shake vigorously (I've heard that it shoots out if you shake with the cap on- that didn't happen to me when I did, but just to be safe now I do it the other way).

I apply by sections- nose, forehead, chin, cheeks etc- because it dries fast. I use my fingers and take a little time to really blend because I find the more I do that, the more of a beautiful natural finish it gives- and for the whole day!

You can add/layer where needed. Pinpoint concealing with a little brush also works brilliantly.

Classic Chanel scent, a bit rosy; I personally love it.

Shade 20 beige is a perfect match for me.

I'd say I am pretty neutral toned olive, leaning yellow (I have blue and green veins) and I am surprised that "Beige" is my (summer) match (usually beige tends to be too pink on me, but perhaps Chanel's Beige for the Asian market is different than elsewhere?) (I am not Asian)

I swear, this foundation improves your skin; or rather, it has improved mine!
I've had angry red imperfections just sort of heal up, dry out and fall away after a day or two. My skin is clear and smooth. I can't emphasize enought what a big deal this is- and I don't want to jinx this!- but my skin has never tolerated a foundation so well- it looks natural and smooth and even-toned and just good.

On me, this foundation gives a natural, polished, almost flawless finish.
It lasts ALL DAY. Doesn't oxidize.

AND check this out- this is a huge bonus, at least for me;
As I said, I live in a very hot and humid climate and I am often dashing around on my bicycle or packed on a crowded train....I can SPLASH MY FACE with cold water and pat it dry- or even take a quick cold shower and get my made-up face wet- and the foundation stays put- AND it looks even better!!

Removal:
I usually had to take off my makeup as early as possible in the evening or afternoon- leaving it on spelled trouble- but with this foundation, no problem. It doesn't matter how long I leave it on, my skin just loves it. And when I remove it, my skin still looks good.

I remove with Muji cleansing oil. I double cleanse with Muji cleansing gel and my Clarisonic Fit/sensitive brush head.

I was getting to the point that mirrors were only to be consulted for damage control; now I actually look at my own skin and feel happy and serene.

The only cons I can find with this foundation is that it only has 16 spf.
I wear a mineral sunscreen underneath when needed and it looks almost exactly the same- slightly paler, I guess, but essentially the same. It works exactly the same layered over sunscreen. Also works with all my other makeup (Clinique Pop blush, Too Faced Milk Chocolate bronzer, etc).

The other con is that it's a bit expensive- at least it is in Japan- almost $70 after tax etc.
I don't know how long the bottle will last- will update on that when I know.

Pros:
elegant and convenient packaging
wonderful, naturally polished finish with great staying power
lovely scent, if you like it, which I do
applies beautifully with fingers
seems to improve skin considerably
doesn't oxidize
doesn't come off if you splash your face with water
works in many weather conditions
totally non-irritating
great,convenient packaging
cons;
low spf
pricey
update: accentuates flakes, over-fragranced+can be irritating

Obviously I totally, highly recommend, and will definitely repurchase.
I will update on how long the bottle lasts, and any other updates if needed.
UPDATE:
Became too dry for winter (in Japan, which is very dry in winter) for my skin, and began to look heavy. I had to veer away from it for such a long time that I completely stopped using it, discovered other foundations along the way that performed better

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

At first, I had mixed feelings about this foundation. This is one of those very watery foundations where you have to shake the bottle and apply it with your fingers. This foundation takes some skill to apply it.

First, use your fingers. You will get a better result with fingers because this foundation is extremely lightweight and when applying it with a brush, it basically vanishes to nothing! With a brush, you will get very sheer coverage.

Another thing to consider is the speed in which you need to apply this foundation. It does glide on amazingly smooth but it dries in lightening speed! I find that this dries so fast, I don't even have time to place dots all over and blend. I have to work in sections. For instance, put two dots on one cheek and blend it out with your fingers. Move to your other cheek, etc.

Another mistake I made was to set this with powder. Because I'm oily, it's just habit to set everything. Some foundations, I have to use two powders to set it to avoid looking like a grease pit. DON'T USE POWDER WITH THIS FOUNDATION. The key word in the name is "Velvet" and I should have picked up on that. I got a crazy cake face look when I used powder to set this. I find this foundation works best if you just leave it be. The problem with that is if you're oily, you will see oils coming through as the day goes by. It's best to use blotting papers or napkins to soak up oil instead of using a powder.

After fixing my mistakes, I started to enjoy this foundation. I would still consider this a light coverage foundation even when applying with fingers. I love using this on casual days when I just want minimal makeup. I would never reach for this for events but if you already have great skin that is normal, I think it will be fine for a night out. I also love that this doesn't oxidize on me. In fact, the color stayed true during an hour of spin!

As for shade selection, Chanel foundations lean neutral cool imo. The only shade that works for me is 40 with all Chanel foundations. It's not a spot on match, it could use a little bit more yellow but it still works. For reference, I'm medium olive skinned/NC40.

Lastly, I do try to experiment with Chanel foundations because it seems to be a safe brand for my skin. I'm very reactive and acne prone to ingredients and Chanel foundations never cause any problems for me.

on 2/2/2016 6:53:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I, like many, have skin that is on the oilier side and wanted a matt foundation and I happened upon this. I honestly do love this foundation, it is really matt and very airy. I've tried a matt foundation before (D&G) and that formula was waaaaay heavier than the chanel one even though the coverage was pretty much the same.

The only problem I have had with this is the colour. I have 30 Beige and it's not exactly lighter than my skintone I would actually say it's the cooler equivalent of my warm skintone.

I'll be looking for a more accurate colour next time around although i'm not sure if I should also try the other kinds of chanel foundations.

A tip for using this is to hydrate fairly well beforehand and use it with a wet sponge/beauty blender and apply it quickly because it does dry fairly quickly to a more powdery texture.

Once it's dry it barely feels like anything on the skin, but I do spray a bit of Mac Fix+ on the sides of my face to avoid it looking too powdery.
Though the coverage is high this product doesn't last as long as many others especially for oily skin, it's definitely not a day-night foundation (I think because of the light consistency), it'll last a well 6 (8 tops) hours.

Also...slick black Chanel packaging? You can't go wrong.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention in more detail that even with combination skin this can look cakey if you don't moisturise well and set it with some Fix+, so i'd recommend putting in some effort when using it it's not one of those foundations you can just slap on with nothing else. However, i've stumbled across a goldmine, it seems. I ran out of Tinted Moisturiser last month before I could repurchase so I just mixed this Vitalumiere with some of my moisturiser (a thick one) and it gave me hands down the most beautiful finish I have ever seen on a liquid product on my face. I'm telling you, for me i'd repurchase this product just to mix it with my moisturiser.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Im a mac nc37-40. I tried getting samples and the Chanel lady was very generous . I tried the B40 shade and it's decent. It's very light in tone that if i apply it all over my face , it wouldnt match my neck . I like it so much! There were nights thag i couldnt sleep because ive been reading reviews extensively. I couldnt get over the smell too! I freakin love the rosewater smell and the technology behind the foundation. It dried into a powdery velvet soft finish thag i like. You know the feeling when you wash your face in the morning with a gentle foaminh wash. It left me feeling fresh. I wear it to work and ive noticed that as it stays on the face, it makes the skin appear more lifted . I cant explain. It's like I applied a glycolic cleanser or maybe its just the alcohop content. I was matched b50 though but it oxidized on me. I still love it though. I wear it just on days i wanna look laid back and fresh . I dont use my contour and bronzer with this because it's already warm and reddish on me. I think im gonna buy the B40 soon after saving up. By the way this is the first chanel foundie that ive tried . I apply it with my real techniques expert face brush. I set it with a powder and it's done.

on 5/7/2015 8:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I have olive toned with with dark spots all over my cheeks from acne breakouts, so my scars are pretty obvious due to my dark skin. I explained to the mua that i wanted to cover my dark spots and that i do NOT like makeup that feels like a mask. So he recommended this with a concealer. Seriously, if you are wearing a concealer underneath this and one layer of this foundation that is all you need for medium coverage, one more coat will give full coverage in my opinion. It feels weightless and almost feels like i'm wearing nothing. It last a good 8 hours until it starts wearing off. The only downside to this is the price, it is way too expensive for me.

on 3/2/2015 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This was good but not great. Not worth the price tag considering there are so many other less expensive foundations that do the same thing or better.