CHANEL Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15

Filtered by eye Color : Black
CHANEL Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15
Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15

3.6

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 5%, Titanium Dioxide 3.1% Inactive Ingredients: Water, Isododecane, Hydrogenated, Polyisobutene, Dimethicone, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Alcohol, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Celluslose, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Propanediol Dicaprylate, Stearakonium Hectorite, Aluminum Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Stearic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Carbonate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Fragrance, Talc, Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Lysine, Timethylsiloxysilicate/Dimethiconol Crosspolymer, Magnesium Chloride, BHT, Tocopherol, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Hydrated Silica (may contain) Ultramarines, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Mica

on 3/25/2018 1:13:00 AM

I thought it might be worth taking the time to review this truly exemplary foundation despite my lack of activity on Makeupalley. I say exemplary because brands who have been pushing the liquid to powder technology (NYX Total Control, Shiseido Synchro Lasting etc) have a lot to learn from this product.

The main similarity between this and the other two products mentioned above - the formula is extremely runny and you have to shake it well to mix the powdery pigments + its liquid solution that the pigments are housed in. But that is just about where the similarity ends. In terms of wear and longevity, the Chanel product blows the other two out of the water. Shiseido Synchro ended up a patchy mess for me with most of the product faded and oxidized 2 shades darker. NYX wore slightly better, but it felt tight/dry on my combi skin and exaggerated smile lines. Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet looks exactly the same as when i applied it, though i note also oxidising (1 shade darker). The magic of the product is obvious from the time you apply it onto the skin and it sets it apart from anything you've ever used. The runny liquid melts in and sets immediately, becoming part of your skin.

If you are a foundation collector, this one you cannot miss simply because it's so different from anything else in the market. If you have oily to combi skin, and have problems seeking out a product that can last you for many many hours, try this out.

In terms of coverage i was not expecting too much from a runny formula, but it did surprise me. The price point is painful but i did notice this was $10-20 cheaper than their other foundations, and justifies how it performs against other similar priced or cheaper products.

On the flipside, to be completely honest about its flaws - this foundation is probably not suitable for those with extremely dry skin simply because of its formula - you might be better off with something creamier. As i mentioned, this does oxidize. I usually take the second shade in foundations, but for this i went one shade lighter and my decision paid off despite the SA not agreeing. The BEIGE colour range is extremely yellow so it works perfect for me. For anyone else who does not have yellow undertones, please steer away from BEIGE and look at the BEIGE ROSE range.

Lastly, the signature Chanel scent is extremely sharp and pungent for me, though i know there are those who love it. Important to note: Fragrance is never a good thing for sensitive skin. After a single usage, i did find some clogged pores which i attribute to Sodium Chloride in the ingredients (yes, salt is comedogenic). For these reasons i took off a lippie, but for hardier skins, i envy you, because this a foundation that i would keep buying forever if only i could use it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I have worn this for a couple of days and I'm still undecided... I am about NC20 and in this B20, not sure if this oxidises a bit. It doesn't last very long, but I really like that it looks like second skin - can look cakey though if too much layers applied. I know that chanel is compared a lot to Bourjois healthy mix but having tried both, Bourjois is definitely not a dupe. Bourjois is more moisturising and definitely look like you're wearing foundation - not that second skin look.

Update: I gave this one more lippie, I've grown to love this. I even got compliments that I got nice skin. So obviously it does make my my skin look NATURALLY great if people can't tell that I am wearing foundation. I got ice pick scars on my skin and some uneven skin tone. I appreciate that the easiness and quick application of this, just fingers. I can get away with not wearing concealer and powder on top to mattify my skin. The drawback is that the wear time is not great, my oil starts to peek through after maybe 4 hours, so it doesn't last for a full work day. But having said that I do not touch up, I just blot to get rid of the oil. At the end of work day, there is still foundation left on my skin, evident when I'm removing my makeup at the end of the day. It fades uniformly, so no weird patches. This foundation won't cover if you have active pimples or prominent hyper pigmentation, so in other words suitable for good skin days and for everyday type foundation purpose. For an event, I would prefer something with a bit more coverage and longer lasting.

on 4/7/2016 12:33:00 PM

This foundation is gives a light to almost medium coverage if you don't have major redness, dark acne scars or textured pitted, rolling scars. I'm used to using Estee lauder double wear the coverage is no where near but its feel better on the skin unlike the double wear this doesn't feel thick, sticky, pasty or cakey dry looking. The texture is more liquidy and applies easier but I have some textured acne scarring this did sit in them. My skintone is in-between mac nc15-20 the shades do oxidize darker. The shade 10beige is too light and the shade 20beige oxidize dark orange.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I tried this foundation by chance. I had a work presentation and had nothing in hand but a sample of this. It covered the little patchs of redness I have in one of my cheeks and the rest of my face nicely, my skin looked even toned and without shininess. Best of all it lasted 8 hours. I was in love!. Love diminished a bit when I went to a perfumeria (perfume shop) and asked the price: 45 euros! quite a bit. So I left it pass.
Two weeks after my presentation, I was in Andorra (Andorra is a tiny country between France and Spain, and it's a tax-free country) and headed to one of the may perfumerias that are in the capital. There, this foundation was 30.50 euros, so I buy it!
I got Beige 30, a shade that's almost my skin tone. My skin is a bit pale, but going to the olive pale range, and to me finding a good match is always a challenge, as many foundations are too pink or they go orange in my skin (oxidation?). This maintains the tone without oxidation.

I will buy it again.

Very light weight matte foundation. I like how this looks on my maturing skin. It dries quickly so I do have to work in with my fingertips one areaAt a time. I have been wearing it with dr jart BB Cream underneath & it lasts all day. I will be interested to see if I like it as much in the winter-since my skin looks so dry then.

on 12/15/2014 5:04:00 AM

Pros:
- Practical packaging
- Contains SPF
- Setting with a powder is not necessary (just the T-zone if you're really oily and a tiny tiny amount all over)
- The finish is unlike any other (soft powder, velvet texture)
- It doesn't oxidize on me
- An above average longevity, I wouldn't say excellent because I would still need to blot throughout the day especially

Cons:
- Limited ways for application because of it's blendibility, it sets a little too fast for me (i.e fingers and damp sponges seems to work best)
- Fragrance-- (it's a really pleasant peachy smell though), that breaks me out. So yes, if you're sensitive to fragrance, steer clear away from this.
- Expensive
- Limited shade range, 20 beige still runs a little pink on me, and the next available option is too yellow, not a lot of neutrals.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

First off, I'm an oil slick. Oily oily oily. The only foundation that lasts and still looks like I have makeup on at the end of the day is the Double Wear. My oil will pretty much eat through anything. I still get shiny with the double wear but it lasts. I'm 30 but I have a ton of fine lines on my upper lip and lower nose area and smile lines. I also have acne prone skin and lots of dark spots from acne but I'm not sensitive.
This is the only foundation that doesn't skin into my fine lines. I think that in itself is a miracle. It feels like water on the skin, then it feels like nothing. The finish is soooo beautiful and smooth and natural looking. Such a beautiful no-makeup look. I think it's aptly named perfection. It's unlike any foundation I've tried. It's better than the hourglass liquid to powder. It's finish is more thin and natural.
My only gripe is that it lasts an hour on me and is literally all gone. I have redness on my cheeks and my cheeks aren't that oily and the sheer-medium coverage is gone. It's like I haven't put anything on. There's no obvious break down of the foundation and no oiliness but it's just gone! It saddens me sooooo much cos this would be my hg foundation. If this lasted on my skin this would be the only foundation I use forever and at $80 aud that's saying a lot. My sister has purchased it and loves it's lightweight nothing feel. It'll last on less oily skinned girls.

on 7/13/2014 11:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Coverage is moderate, with SPF 15. I generally have oily skin, with a little bit of acne scars and skin tone that is prone to redness. This foundation evens out my redness, although it does not provide much coverage for the acne scars. It's supposed to have a matte satin finish, which sadly only last for 2 hours?! I already had laura mercier oil free primer under and bare minerals mineral veil to set it. After 2 hours my face appears oily at the T-zone area. All in all, for the hefty price, I don't think it is worth it at all. I have tried better foundations from clinique (using the same primer and loose powder regimen) which had lasted much better without giving my face the oil slick look. I really regretted buying this. Sigh...