CHANEL Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15

Filtered by hair type : Curly
CHANEL Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15
Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15

4.4

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 5%, Titanium Dioxide 3.1% Inactive Ingredients: Water, Isododecane, Hydrogenated, Polyisobutene, Dimethicone, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Alcohol, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Celluslose, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Propanediol Dicaprylate, Stearakonium Hectorite, Aluminum Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Stearic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Carbonate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Fragrance, Talc, Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Lysine, Timethylsiloxysilicate/Dimethiconol Crosspolymer, Magnesium Chloride, BHT, Tocopherol, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Hydrated Silica (may contain) Ultramarines, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Mica

on 11/19/2018 3:36:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

For noe, I can say this is my number 2 foundation. I am not a makeup artist, but have spent a good deal trying out differebmnt foundations, mostly high end. This includes some rather obscure but highly regarded brands. I am NC25-ish and shade 30 works well for me. It gives a real medium coverage, buildable to some degree. I like this, as I believe in most cases, medium is sufficient. The finish is satiny matte, which renders it skin like. The lasting power is great - I use this at work and never find the need to re-apply, though I blot out excess oils in my oily t-zone area (my skin is naturally combination- oily) mid-day. No shifting, no piling up on creases. Truly a great performing foundation - definitely outperforms even newer foundation releases. And I get the same outstanding result regardless of how I apply, though I like applying with a wet sponge best. Definitely highly recommended

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I put off trying this foundation for a long time because of the fragrance. I don't like the heavy old lady smell of most Chanel products although this foundation has less scent than others by Chanel. I finally broke down and gave it a try and it has replaced my beloved UD Naked Skin foundation. I usually use 3.25 in UD Naked Skin so I bought the Lumiere Velvet in 22 which matches my light cool/neutral skin perfectly. It does contain alcohol but it does not dry out my skin at all. It also wears even better than the UD Naked Skin.

I love that this is a lightweight foundation. It offers sheer to medium coverage but it does not build up really at all. I don't mind this because I only like a medium coverage foundation because anything heavier will accentuate the texture on my skin. I just use a concealer where needed and it blends seamlessly.

It wears well for up to 12 hours on my normal skin. In the summer I get slightly oily but using a blotting sheet takes care of that. During the winter it wears very will without any need to touch up. I do set it with a loose tinted translucent setting powder to just smooth the t-zone a little.

I do wish there was a cheaper dupe but honestly there is nothing like this available in the US. I have seen a L'Oreal Magic Nude Powder foundation compared to it but that is not available here. It might even be discontinued by now. But seriously there is nothing like this lightweight foundation for smoothing out texture and giving older skin an evened out natural appearance.

on 8/27/2016 8:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really love this foundation.

I was really struggling and nothing was working for me; I have sensitive, highly break-out prone combo skin, and I'm getting older, so fine lines etc.

My skin tone was really irregular and I was getting a lot of breakout zones that wouldn't stop (2 spots turn into 4, then 5, etc) nor heal, nor calm down.

I have a really good diet, and habits, so it was particularly frustrating.

For reference, I have tried, over the course of 2+ years, Shiseido Perfect Refining (dc'd) and the Skin Synchro-thingy, Clé de Peau foundations (liquid and powder) Koh Gen Doh Aqua, KGD powder, Nars Velvet Matte, Lily Lolo mineral makeup, Bare Minerals powder...

I went by a Chanel Counter one day and saw the Velvet Perfection Lumière. I tested it on my hand to see what the texture felt like, as well as the tint, and was intrigued. I got a sample and brought it home to try it.

I immediately could tell upon applying that it was good, but I still hardly dared hope. I used the sample 3 days running- on bare, clean skin, just the foundation, all day- and then promptly went and bought a full bottle.

I was nervous again once I opened the bottle; I figured the sample was a fluke, that I would have issues with it (and no return policy in Japan, too).

I had no problem whatsoever; quite the contrary.

I've been wearing it every day, in all types of summer weather conditions, for about a month. That includes beating sun, heavy rain downfall, typhoons (wind and rain), overcast days, humidity of 90+%, in the city seething with humanity, and at the beach.

It always looks good. It always looks natural. It's kindof unbelievable, and I also can't believe how much it has simplified my beauty rituals, and my mental well-being ! (What is that quote? "A woman who finds her foundation can rule the world." ? lol)

Verdict is that I couldn't be happier. It is definitely the perfect foundation for me.

Coverage is great- naturally covers what you need it to. Will initially accentuate flakey bits, but then the skin seems to heal, and the flakes go away. Ditto for imperfections.

Very liquidy- I remove the cap, put my finger tip on the nozzle tip and shake vigorously (I've heard that it shoots out if you shake with the cap on- that didn't happen to me when I did, but just to be safe now I do it the other way).

I apply by sections- nose, forehead, chin, cheeks etc- because it dries fast. I use my fingers and take a little time to really blend because I find the more I do that, the more of a beautiful natural finish it gives- and for the whole day!

You can add/layer where needed. Pinpoint concealing with a little brush also works brilliantly.

Classic Chanel scent, a bit rosy; I personally love it.

Shade 20 beige is a perfect match for me.

I'd say I am pretty neutral toned olive, leaning yellow (I have blue and green veins) and I am surprised that "Beige" is my (summer) match (usually beige tends to be too pink on me, but perhaps Chanel's Beige for the Asian market is different than elsewhere?) (I am not Asian)

I swear, this foundation improves your skin; or rather, it has improved mine!
I've had angry red imperfections just sort of heal up, dry out and fall away after a day or two. My skin is clear and smooth. I can't emphasize enought what a big deal this is- and I don't want to jinx this!- but my skin has never tolerated a foundation so well- it looks natural and smooth and even-toned and just good.

On me, this foundation gives a natural, polished, almost flawless finish.
It lasts ALL DAY. Doesn't oxidize.

AND check this out- this is a huge bonus, at least for me;
As I said, I live in a very hot and humid climate and I am often dashing around on my bicycle or packed on a crowded train....I can SPLASH MY FACE with cold water and pat it dry- or even take a quick cold shower and get my made-up face wet- and the foundation stays put- AND it looks even better!!

Removal:
I usually had to take off my makeup as early as possible in the evening or afternoon- leaving it on spelled trouble- but with this foundation, no problem. It doesn't matter how long I leave it on, my skin just loves it. And when I remove it, my skin still looks good.

I remove with Muji cleansing oil. I double cleanse with Muji cleansing gel and my Clarisonic Fit/sensitive brush head.

I was getting to the point that mirrors were only to be consulted for damage control; now I actually look at my own skin and feel happy and serene.

The only cons I can find with this foundation is that it only has 16 spf.
I wear a mineral sunscreen underneath when needed and it looks almost exactly the same- slightly paler, I guess, but essentially the same. It works exactly the same layered over sunscreen. Also works with all my other makeup (Clinique Pop blush, Too Faced Milk Chocolate bronzer, etc).

The other con is that it's a bit expensive- at least it is in Japan- almost $70 after tax etc.
I don't know how long the bottle will last- will update on that when I know.

Pros:
elegant and convenient packaging
wonderful, naturally polished finish with great staying power
lovely scent, if you like it, which I do
applies beautifully with fingers
seems to improve skin considerably
doesn't oxidize
doesn't come off if you splash your face with water
works in many weather conditions
totally non-irritating
great,convenient packaging
cons;
low spf
pricey
update: accentuates flakes, over-fragranced+can be irritating

Obviously I totally, highly recommend, and will definitely repurchase.
I will update on how long the bottle lasts, and any other updates if needed.
UPDATE:
Became too dry for winter (in Japan, which is very dry in winter) for my skin, and began to look heavy. I had to veer away from it for such a long time that I completely stopped using it, discovered other foundations along the way that performed better

on 5/21/2016 3:49:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

OH I love this. New favourite daily foundation. It has replaced vitalumiere aqua for me. I have combination skin and found that vita aqua was making me look both oily and dry at the same time. I find the velvet makes me look less dry, while controlling the oil really well. Not trying to hate on the aqua, but I don't understand why people claim the aqua is designed for dry skin as I don't think it is and the alcohol content is higher than in the velvet. I think both are worth getting samples for and trying.

I find that this foundation applies best with a dry sponge, like the beauty blender or the RT dupe. This foundation is sheer-medium and buildable, but you won't be able to make it to full full coverage. What I love about this foundation is that it has a very smooth finish, helping to smooth over lines and pores, especially when you dab with a sponge. The finish isn't too matte either and leaves your face feeling velvet soft. A bit of powder on top and it controls my oil so well. Even though it doesn't have a dewy finish, I feel very fresh faced with this. It also doesn't make me look flaky, although if you have really dry skin, like I used to then I think this will accentuate it. I didn't expect to like this foundation, but I am so glad I was given a sample so I could discover this beauty! It also lasts all day and I love the sleek black packaging. This is fragranced, but I personally love the smell and haven't found it to be irritating.

Soo in love with this. One warning though - it dries quickly so make sure to blend quick so you don't have any concentrated marks or streaks!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This is my favorite foundation ever! Finish: matte but natural and still radiant. This is the Chanel take on the "modern matte". Coverage: light to full coverGe. That may sound impossible but if you use a wet beauty blender it will be sheer. If you use a flat kabuki it will be medium and if you use a beauty blender dry it is full coverage.
Breakouts: I had a minor breakout when I first started using his foundation but it think it was more because I changed my moisturizer. Fragrance: this is heavily fragrances but it dissipates quickly.
Price: the price is fair, about 45$ (I believe?) which is less that the hourglass foundation that I also like and about the same price as the matte Laura Mercier. Packaging: very good for travel.
Color range: horrible. I'm half black and only the last two shades work on my skin (one when I'm pale the other when I'm tan). This is my holy grail foundation.

UPDATE: I have found that this foundation has some issues that take a while for it to be obvious. The first is that it causes serious breakouts. I had a minor breakout originally and it just got worse. I won't use this again. Also, I find the this oxidizes really badly and tends to turn a pink/red color. Very ashy when first applied.

on 6/22/2014 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This product didn't work for me at all. While it delivers what it promises (a velvet complexion), it does so with a lot of alcohol and fragrance. I found the alcohol content to be overwhelming, leading to a dry complexion and teary eyes (I tend to have dry skin to begin with so this probably wasn't a good choice from the start). The color (BR12, the same as I wear in VA) seemed a little yellow despite the shade's name. Vitalumiere is a better choice for my skin.

While I still think Vitalumiere Aqua is a better choice for me, I have begun to like this product. For me, it's all about the primer, and that is the case for any foundation I may use. With this foundation, I have to use a more emollient primer, such as Le Metier's Replenishing Daily Solution (which is really a moisturizer/sunscreen that happens to make a great primer, too) to cut back on some of the dryness this foundation creates. Chanel's Base Lumiere primer also works. The right brush is also key: I use Trish Mcevoy's Mistake-Proof Sheer Application brush, a dual-fiber "skunk" brush, for the sheerest application possible. It's also a good product for my mild rosacea as it works well at eliminating redness. I'm still not certain that I will purchase a full-size bottle once the generous samples the Bergdorf Goodman counter gave to me have run out. Perhaps I will, now that I know how to make it work. Stay tuned.

EDIT: A no-go for me: too drying and far too fragrant.

on 6/9/2014 9:42:00 AM

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I had Vitalumiere Aqua which only kept shine off my combination skin for two hours and I was very excited to purchase PLV as it sounded like the VA for combination/oily skin. I don't know why they have to change the undertone but the B30 for PLV was pinker than the B30 for VA. I am SE Asian and need a rather yellow-toned base to match my neck. MAC Prolongwear NC25 is a good winter match.

Still, I liked the texture applied with a flat-topped kabuki. Velvet is an apt word - matte but not flat, medium coverage. Lasted well, postponed oil breakthrough for about 4 hours before I needed to blot. Not as transfer-resistant as I would prefer but it is a respectable foundation. I wish it wasn't pinker but it is more tolerable than the pink in GA Lasting Silk.