CHANEL Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
CHANEL Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15
Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15

3.8

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 5%, Titanium Dioxide 3.1% Inactive Ingredients: Water, Isododecane, Hydrogenated, Polyisobutene, Dimethicone, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Alcohol, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Celluslose, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Propanediol Dicaprylate, Stearakonium Hectorite, Aluminum Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Stearic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Carbonate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Fragrance, Talc, Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Lysine, Timethylsiloxysilicate/Dimethiconol Crosspolymer, Magnesium Chloride, BHT, Tocopherol, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Hydrated Silica (may contain) Ultramarines, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Mica

on 12/6/2018 12:13:00 PM

For the price they could add a pump. Even though it says its for normal to oily skin the application was nice at first but after a few hours I was oily in the T-Zone. Coverage is sheer to medium. I applied it with my clarisonic makeup brush head even though it says to use fingers. I really don't want to go back to applying foundation with my hands. C'mon Chanel, women use brushes or sponges. I was also disappointed alcohol which can be so irritating was high on the ingredient list. Regret this purchase and back to my holy grail, Guerlain.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I put off trying this foundation for a long time because of the fragrance. I don't like the heavy old lady smell of most Chanel products although this foundation has less scent than others by Chanel. I finally broke down and gave it a try and it has replaced my beloved UD Naked Skin foundation. I usually use 3.25 in UD Naked Skin so I bought the Lumiere Velvet in 22 which matches my light cool/neutral skin perfectly. It does contain alcohol but it does not dry out my skin at all. It also wears even better than the UD Naked Skin.

I love that this is a lightweight foundation. It offers sheer to medium coverage but it does not build up really at all. I don't mind this because I only like a medium coverage foundation because anything heavier will accentuate the texture on my skin. I just use a concealer where needed and it blends seamlessly.

It wears well for up to 12 hours on my normal skin. In the summer I get slightly oily but using a blotting sheet takes care of that. During the winter it wears very will without any need to touch up. I do set it with a loose tinted translucent setting powder to just smooth the t-zone a little.

I do wish there was a cheaper dupe but honestly there is nothing like this available in the US. I have seen a L'Oreal Magic Nude Powder foundation compared to it but that is not available here. It might even be discontinued by now. But seriously there is nothing like this lightweight foundation for smoothing out texture and giving older skin an evened out natural appearance.

I bought this because the HD Forever make up I recently found and love is just a bit too heavy for summer, and I watched the "Hot and Flashy" youtube where this was the Holy Grail of All Foundations. Long story short: I love this foundation. It's relatively light and sheer for a medium-coverage foundation. It's not buildable, and my nose after the summer of beach and waves is a mess, so what I eventually did was use this for all over my face (after moisturizer), let it set, then take a large round foundation brush and pat the HD Forever foundation into my nose. THIS is the Holy Grail. I would never have done this on purpose because of the expense, but since I already had the HD Forever that was *kind of* working and had hoped to replace it with this, that means I effectively now have double of each if that makes sense. I will cry when they're both gone.

The good:

1. This is really a fantastic foundation. It's sheer with a beautiful finish, and leaves my 50 year-old skin looking like me-but-better. With the HD Forever on my nose after this, my skin and face looks like it did 15 years ago. If I add the Hourglass Ambient Bronzer and the Hourglass Ambient Blush, I don't need any other makeup except a little mascara and a touch of lipgloss

2. It goes on just as well with fingertips and with a makeup brush

3. I don't feel like I'm wearing foundation--for the first time in decades I might add. It's really cool to feel as if I'm out in public bare-faced. I guess it's like mature-skin BB creme or something.

4. Unlike others I haven't noticed any oxidizing, and it stays put and is still on at the end of the day (unlike the HD Forever or any others which I do have to re-apply)

5. Much less transfer onto my phone than other foundations

The bad:

1. It is definitely not buildable. What you initially get from the first application is what you should stick with.
Don't get me wrong--it's fantastic. Just relatively light-medium light coverage.

2. The consistency is watery. It's really hard to get used to this. For the life of me I can't use a foundation brush with it, but that's OK because it works great with fingers. However, getting it to stay on one or two fingertips is kind of impossible, and you have to apply it fast because of this wateriness thing.

3. The packaging is ridiculous. With the watery consistency, then having to turn it upside down to squeeze it out of an opaque container, I must have wasted $15 of the product in the first week trying to figure out how to get the product-dispensing correct. I still hate it. Ironically, if the HD Forever makeup that I DO need to reapply came in this packaging, I think I would love it because I could throw the little squirt bottle (it even has a lid that stays put!) in my purse. However, this lasts all day and isn't buildable, so there is really no need to re-apply, so I don't need an easy-squeeze bottle in my purse or anything. So the packaging and watery consistency just remains irritating as heck.

Bottom line: An awesome, awesome sheer foundation, but I do augment it with a little extra coverage HD Forever on my nose.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

It's not a bad foundation, but didn't impress me at all. I have combination skin and occasionally get some peeling here and there, this foundation clung to every little problem area. It does look pretty in the pictures, but definitely can see foundation sitting on the face in the mirror, which isn't the most fabulous look.
Didn't mattify me whatsoever, and I'm not an oily-faced person, just slight oiliness on the T-zone sometimes... and it really oxidized and turned sallow on me after a few hours, which, in my opinion shouldn't be happening with a $50 product. Someone even commented that I look yellow. Definitely requires touch-ups and all that after several hours of wear too.
I did't hate it, and would say it is a very lovely foundation if it was within $20, but at $50- just doesn't perform as well, in my opinion. PerriconeMD's no foundation serum is a thousand times better, this just can't compete.

Dry, powdery, incredibly cakey, and absolutely awful despite the application.

I wanted to love this foundation but, sadly, I'm still looking for my "Holy Grail" foundation.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my HOLY GRAIL foundation!!! Even though I have oily skin and rosacea this foundation takes care of it ALL!!! It goes on like velvet, very smooth application with a beauty blender or brush, and leaves a GORGEOUS finish!! And with just one application of this it covered ALL of my moderately bad rosacea!! And with a large fluffy brush press some setting powder into your skin and this will stay all day long and into the night evening!!! You may have to blot if you're very oily, but your foundation will not slip off your face even then!! And your skin will never feel so soft in your life, literally like velvet!!! And even though it is one of the pricier foundations that you can buy, you can get a brand new one on Mercari for anywhere from $20-$35. That is where I got mine, brand new!!!

Get this foundation!! Run, don't walk to your nearest Chanel counter to get color matched, then go home and get the right color on your Mercari app. You can thank me later!!

on 3/25/2018 5:13:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love love love this foundation. i have dry skin but it still works like magic. I love the soft focus finish this products leaves on the skin, while stil leaving it looking like skin. The coverage can be build up, I prefer af light coverage for everyday and will use two layers for nights out. It doesn't sink into lines or pores and just leaves your skin looking healthy and flawless. I love the packaging, one of my favorite foundations to travel with, as it's lightweight and travel friendly and just never lets me down. It is heavily fragrance, which I like but if you don't like that or tolerate fragrance, stay clear of this one. I have almost run out of this foundation and will repurchase, even though I find the price tag overly step.I really have nothing bad to say about this product and love pairing it with the Chanel Le Soleil bronzer, a real power couple.

on 3/25/2018 1:13:00 AM

I thought it might be worth taking the time to review this truly exemplary foundation despite my lack of activity on Makeupalley. I say exemplary because brands who have been pushing the liquid to powder technology (NYX Total Control, Shiseido Synchro Lasting etc) have a lot to learn from this product.

The main similarity between this and the other two products mentioned above - the formula is extremely runny and you have to shake it well to mix the powdery pigments + its liquid solution that the pigments are housed in. But that is just about where the similarity ends. In terms of wear and longevity, the Chanel product blows the other two out of the water. Shiseido Synchro ended up a patchy mess for me with most of the product faded and oxidized 2 shades darker. NYX wore slightly better, but it felt tight/dry on my combi skin and exaggerated smile lines. Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet looks exactly the same as when i applied it, though i note also oxidising (1 shade darker). The magic of the product is obvious from the time you apply it onto the skin and it sets it apart from anything you've ever used. The runny liquid melts in and sets immediately, becoming part of your skin.

If you are a foundation collector, this one you cannot miss simply because it's so different from anything else in the market. If you have oily to combi skin, and have problems seeking out a product that can last you for many many hours, try this out.

In terms of coverage i was not expecting too much from a runny formula, but it did surprise me. The price point is painful but i did notice this was $10-20 cheaper than their other foundations, and justifies how it performs against other similar priced or cheaper products.

On the flipside, to be completely honest about its flaws - this foundation is probably not suitable for those with extremely dry skin simply because of its formula - you might be better off with something creamier. As i mentioned, this does oxidize. I usually take the second shade in foundations, but for this i went one shade lighter and my decision paid off despite the SA not agreeing. The BEIGE colour range is extremely yellow so it works perfect for me. For anyone else who does not have yellow undertones, please steer away from BEIGE and look at the BEIGE ROSE range.

Lastly, the signature Chanel scent is extremely sharp and pungent for me, though i know there are those who love it. Important to note: Fragrance is never a good thing for sensitive skin. After a single usage, i did find some clogged pores which i attribute to Sodium Chloride in the ingredients (yes, salt is comedogenic). For these reasons i took off a lippie, but for hardier skins, i envy you, because this a foundation that i would keep buying forever if only i could use it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This foundation is more for the oily skin. I have combination skin and this dries my face out. It contains alcohol maybe that why...Overall it is not what I was looking for. Will not repurchase.
My Maybeline Matte&Poorless sits much better on the skin without drying my face.

on 12/27/2017 1:43:00 PM

This is my favorite foundation for now bec. it doesn't look heavy even though it has been applied hurriedly. It feels so light and makes the skin glow and look smooth. Retouching with powder after 2 hours on the T-zone is needed since it doesn't absorb oil that much. I will keep on buying this bec. I have been complimented about how good my skin looks whenever I use this foundation.