CHANEL Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15

CHANEL Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15
Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15

3.8

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 5%, Titanium Dioxide 3.1% Inactive Ingredients: Water, Isododecane, Hydrogenated, Polyisobutene, Dimethicone, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Alcohol, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Celluslose, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Propanediol Dicaprylate, Stearakonium Hectorite, Aluminum Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Stearic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Carbonate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Fragrance, Talc, Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Lysine, Timethylsiloxysilicate/Dimethiconol Crosspolymer, Magnesium Chloride, BHT, Tocopherol, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Hydrated Silica (may contain) Ultramarines, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Mica

on 5/29/2017 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Holy Grail for my mature (50s) skin. Recommended by Angie from Hot&Flashy and now on my second bottle. It offers just enough coverage and does not emphasis pores or sit in wrinkles. I use a water based primer (Laura Mercier) first and I put it on with fingers. Very easy to work. I think coverage is good but I use a concealer to hide darker pigmentation. It is long lasting with no need for touch ups or blotting but I use Urban Decay setting spray on long days.

Colour choices are not the broadest but I am lucky that 30 Biege suits me. I think, as Chanel is high end, it is very affordable at £32.50. Cheaper than Dior or Armani for example. My Chanticaille Future Skin was £60 but this product had better coverage. And I think it is better - longer lasting and sits on mature skin better - than Laura Mercier Candlight and the Lancôme foundations.

If you do have mature 50+ skin, do watch Angie Hot&Flashy on YouTube as she is excellent with her product reviews.

on 8/27/2016 8:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really love this foundation.

I was really struggling and nothing was working for me; I have sensitive, highly break-out prone combo skin, and I'm getting older, so fine lines etc.

My skin tone was really irregular and I was getting a lot of breakout zones that wouldn't stop (2 spots turn into 4, then 5, etc) nor heal, nor calm down.

I have a really good diet, and habits, so it was particularly frustrating.

For reference, I have tried, over the course of 2+ years, Shiseido Perfect Refining (dc'd) and the Skin Synchro-thingy, Clé de Peau foundations (liquid and powder) Koh Gen Doh Aqua, KGD powder, Nars Velvet Matte, Lily Lolo mineral makeup, Bare Minerals powder...

I went by a Chanel Counter one day and saw the Velvet Perfection Lumière. I tested it on my hand to see what the texture felt like, as well as the tint, and was intrigued. I got a sample and brought it home to try it.

I immediately could tell upon applying that it was good, but I still hardly dared hope. I used the sample 3 days running- on bare, clean skin, just the foundation, all day- and then promptly went and bought a full bottle.

I was nervous again once I opened the bottle; I figured the sample was a fluke, that I would have issues with it (and no return policy in Japan, too).

I had no problem whatsoever; quite the contrary.

I've been wearing it every day, in all types of summer weather conditions, for about a month. That includes beating sun, heavy rain downfall, typhoons (wind and rain), overcast days, humidity of 90+%, in the city seething with humanity, and at the beach.

It always looks good. It always looks natural. It's kindof unbelievable, and I also can't believe how much it has simplified my beauty rituals, and my mental well-being ! (What is that quote? "A woman who finds her foundation can rule the world." ? lol)

Verdict is that I couldn't be happier. It is definitely the perfect foundation for me.

Coverage is great- naturally covers what you need it to. Will initially accentuate flakey bits, but then the skin seems to heal, and the flakes go away. Ditto for imperfections.

Very liquidy- I remove the cap, put my finger tip on the nozzle tip and shake vigorously (I've heard that it shoots out if you shake with the cap on- that didn't happen to me when I did, but just to be safe now I do it the other way).

I apply by sections- nose, forehead, chin, cheeks etc- because it dries fast. I use my fingers and take a little time to really blend because I find the more I do that, the more of a beautiful natural finish it gives- and for the whole day!

You can add/layer where needed. Pinpoint concealing with a little brush also works brilliantly.

Classic Chanel scent, a bit rosy; I personally love it.

Shade 20 beige is a perfect match for me.

I'd say I am pretty neutral toned olive, leaning yellow (I have blue and green veins) and I am surprised that "Beige" is my (summer) match (usually beige tends to be too pink on me, but perhaps Chanel's Beige for the Asian market is different than elsewhere?) (I am not Asian)

I swear, this foundation improves your skin; or rather, it has improved mine!
I've had angry red imperfections just sort of heal up, dry out and fall away after a day or two. My skin is clear and smooth. I can't emphasize enought what a big deal this is- and I don't want to jinx this!- but my skin has never tolerated a foundation so well- it looks natural and smooth and even-toned and just good.

On me, this foundation gives a natural, polished, almost flawless finish.
It lasts ALL DAY. Doesn't oxidize.

AND check this out- this is a huge bonus, at least for me;
As I said, I live in a very hot and humid climate and I am often dashing around on my bicycle or packed on a crowded train....I can SPLASH MY FACE with cold water and pat it dry- or even take a quick cold shower and get my made-up face wet- and the foundation stays put- AND it looks even better!!

Removal:
I usually had to take off my makeup as early as possible in the evening or afternoon- leaving it on spelled trouble- but with this foundation, no problem. It doesn't matter how long I leave it on, my skin just loves it. And when I remove it, my skin still looks good.

I remove with Muji cleansing oil. I double cleanse with Muji cleansing gel and my Clarisonic Fit/sensitive brush head.

I was getting to the point that mirrors were only to be consulted for damage control; now I actually look at my own skin and feel happy and serene.

The only cons I can find with this foundation is that it only has 16 spf.
I wear a mineral sunscreen underneath when needed and it looks almost exactly the same- slightly paler, I guess, but essentially the same. It works exactly the same layered over sunscreen. Also works with all my other makeup (Clinique Pop blush, Too Faced Milk Chocolate bronzer, etc).

The other con is that it's a bit expensive- at least it is in Japan- almost $70 after tax etc.
I don't know how long the bottle will last- will update on that when I know.

Pros:
elegant and convenient packaging
wonderful, naturally polished finish with great staying power
lovely scent, if you like it, which I do
applies beautifully with fingers
seems to improve skin considerably
doesn't oxidize
doesn't come off if you splash your face with water
works in many weather conditions
totally non-irritating
great,convenient packaging
cons;
low spf
pricey
update: accentuates flakes, over-fragranced+can be irritating

Obviously I totally, highly recommend, and will definitely repurchase.
I will update on how long the bottle lasts, and any other updates if needed.
UPDATE:
Became too dry for winter (in Japan, which is very dry in winter) for my skin, and began to look heavy. I had to veer away from it for such a long time that I completely stopped using it, discovered other foundations along the way that performed better

on 9/25/2016 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I tried a sample of this foundation pretty much because Angie(Hot and Flashy--YouTube) loved it. She seems credible, very sweet, and about my age...but of course has the opposite of my skin which should have been my first clue that this was not going to work for me. For reference, I have dry cheeks, oilier t-zone, but not excessively so. As mentioned by other reviewers, it is a very sheer, light foundation that dries the moment you apply it. I have never seen anything like it...and yes, applied moisturizer before hand. It was possibly the worst foundation in terms of what it did for me. Basically I looked like a sheet of crepe paper. Emphasized every line, dryness, left more polka dots than any cheap DS foundation I have ever used. In truth I am relieved it was not "the one", as this is crazy expensive, I am sure. I am kind of surprised that the SA did not steer me clear of this one, but foundations like drugs effect different folks in different ways. Sorry for that analogy, but pretty much true.

The foundation is very similar to L'Oreal True Match, insofar as the light sheer matte coverage goes, and the shade she gave me ..1.5 I think, was dead on the same as N-1 in the L'Oreal. The latter is far more malleable and useful for my purposes.

Sorry Hot and Flashy. ;-) This was a big dud for me.

on 11/5/2016 12:12:00 PM

Went to check out this foundation because of Angie's (Hot & Flashy) love for it! I have mature dry/combo skin. Light to medium, with Neutral undertones. I have some freckles and the occasional blemish (thank you hormones).
I did end up buying it... and so far it's my second favourite foundation (my current love being the Lancome Teint Idole Longwear Foundation Stick - check out my review on that one...)
Here's how it performs for me...
-Very lightweight liquid formula
-Blends easily and quickly, dries quickly too - so don't be slow!
-Fingers work amazingly well for this product - offering the most coverage that way - so maybe good for travel!
-Medium coverage... a second layer can be applied to build to a med-full coverage, but this uses quite a bit of product so may not last long.
-Lovely matte finish(but not overly matte), VERY soft to the touch.
-Didn't have any issue with this settling badly into fine lines and wrinkles, but it did settle ever so slightly into a few pores - just blend blend blend (a primer may help with this too).
-medium staying power, can be lengthened by powder and finishing spray.
-not a large selection of colours, so may be difficult to colour match for some.

Overall I'm pleased with this foundation, I love the texture and finish. It has enough coverage to reduce redness and uneven skin tone, but still lets some freckles show through making your skin look lovely, but still natural. Just as a side note, if I need PERFECT looking skin for a special event, I use this foundation underneath, and the Lancome stick foundation in areas that need a bit more coverage - an amazing combo!!!! :~)

on 9/26/2017 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

A beautiful foundation, at least on my mature skin. Does not sit in wrinkles or pores but floats over them, gives light to medium coverage, feels weightless. I love the bottle with its needle nose dispenser and that it is plastic. Easy to squeeze and you can dispense exactly how much you need with no waste. I know people mention a scent but I don't smell much. If there is a scent it is really light.

I found a good match. I'm NC20 in Mac and B20 looks really good on. I have dry, slightly combo skin so I prep my skin well so it doesn't showcase dry areas (I also use retin-A) and have been getting good results with just sunscreen(PC's Resist Skin Restoring Sunscreen Spf 50) under it.

on 10/16/2015 10:47:00 AM

Finding the best foundation for your skin is even tougher than finding the best man for you! I'm married and have a beautiful son, found the best house to live, the best jeans to fit my curves and yet, at 33 I couldn't find a foundation to be loyal to.

I watched a random youtube foundation review by this girl (unfortunately i don't remember her name) who claimed to have the same skin issues as me: Very sensitive combination/oily skin, that gets clogged very very easily and has a tendency to break out. So I was intrigued! She sweared by Chanel Perection Lumiere Velvet foundation and it definitely hit a nerve with me. I am the girl that gets a deep pore extraction facial every single month to keep a decent looking skin. I am the girl that cries when I meet people who have never had a single facial treatment!

So, I decided to try this foundation after having used almost every other foundation there is. And it was a hallelujah moment!! since it was quite pricey, i asked the girl at the store to apply it on my face first. I loved it at first but was hesitant about how it would look after a couple hours or so. I left and went on with the rest of my day working, shopping etc...Before leaving work, some 9 hours later, I had a look in the mirror and was amazed! my skin looked exactly the same as it did 9 hours ago! I left right away to go buy it, and was so emotionally charged that i even bought the -quite extravagantly priced- loose powder too.

I have never looked back! I get compliments ALL THE TIME and i feel like i've discovered the holly grail or somthg...

I really like the packaging. Simplistic and practical, it's just easier than the glass one and I don't have to worry about breaking it.

I used to apply foundation with fingers but I found that this one best applies with a triangle sponge for a "minimized pore" look.The finish is matte but natural. Which is amazing for skin types like mine.
People keep mentioning its scent, and quite frankly i' m surprised. I hadn't even noticed it before I read these reviews.
Also, coverage is light but can be a buildable medium. I hate full coverage so that was great for me.

Overall, it's the best foundation ever! I truly feel complete now!

on 11/16/2014 3:14:00 PM

I am always searching for a new base. My skin is old and thin with the various ravages left from taking makeup on and off for over 30 years, and spending most of my teenage years lying in the sun with olive oil for protection, thus age spots, redness, shine, flakiness, dryness. I don't have lines but I do have discolouration which I believe is more ageing and I have a skin which seems to drink up product only to sweat it out some 3 hours later.

So I bought this on a whim. I like the packaging, it is neat and sleek. I am undecided about the colour (B10) which is firmly on the yellow side of the spectrum, which is fine, but it makes me look a bit yellow, I would love a more neutral shade.

The texture is a thin liquid, it has no substance to it, but it does have a rather strong scent which does not last fortunately.

What has suprised me, is that this product does what I want it to, it covers without caking, it is easily buildable, it sets on my skin without looking like a mask, and it stays there until I take it off, and I don't have to use powder unless I want to. In essence I look better after applying it than before, and that effect lasts for most of the day, I could almost use just this product and nothing else, minimal makeup at its best.

on 3/25/2018 1:13:00 AM

I thought it might be worth taking the time to review this truly exemplary foundation despite my lack of activity on Makeupalley. I say exemplary because brands who have been pushing the liquid to powder technology (NYX Total Control, Shiseido Synchro Lasting etc) have a lot to learn from this product.

The main similarity between this and the other two products mentioned above - the formula is extremely runny and you have to shake it well to mix the powdery pigments + its liquid solution that the pigments are housed in. But that is just about where the similarity ends. In terms of wear and longevity, the Chanel product blows the other two out of the water. Shiseido Synchro ended up a patchy mess for me with most of the product faded and oxidized 2 shades darker. NYX wore slightly better, but it felt tight/dry on my combi skin and exaggerated smile lines. Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet looks exactly the same as when i applied it, though i note also oxidising (1 shade darker). The magic of the product is obvious from the time you apply it onto the skin and it sets it apart from anything you've ever used. The runny liquid melts in and sets immediately, becoming part of your skin.

If you are a foundation collector, this one you cannot miss simply because it's so different from anything else in the market. If you have oily to combi skin, and have problems seeking out a product that can last you for many many hours, try this out.

In terms of coverage i was not expecting too much from a runny formula, but it did surprise me. The price point is painful but i did notice this was $10-20 cheaper than their other foundations, and justifies how it performs against other similar priced or cheaper products.

On the flipside, to be completely honest about its flaws - this foundation is probably not suitable for those with extremely dry skin simply because of its formula - you might be better off with something creamier. As i mentioned, this does oxidize. I usually take the second shade in foundations, but for this i went one shade lighter and my decision paid off despite the SA not agreeing. The BEIGE colour range is extremely yellow so it works perfect for me. For anyone else who does not have yellow undertones, please steer away from BEIGE and look at the BEIGE ROSE range.

Lastly, the signature Chanel scent is extremely sharp and pungent for me, though i know there are those who love it. Important to note: Fragrance is never a good thing for sensitive skin. After a single usage, i did find some clogged pores which i attribute to Sodium Chloride in the ingredients (yes, salt is comedogenic). For these reasons i took off a lippie, but for hardier skins, i envy you, because this a foundation that i would keep buying forever if only i could use it.

Luckily, I found a sample of this in one of my magazines. Tried it yesterday, and couldn't believe how great I looked! It was like I had been Photoshopped. Best foundation I have ever tried. I'm running out to buy it today.

on 11/24/2016 9:38:00 AM

Though I am 29 years old, but I bought this foundation according to Hot and Flashy Youtuber which is in her 50's.
It is not that good really. The main thing is that is emphasizes the size of my pores, no matter if I apply it lightly or heavily (I apply with beauty blender). Also the setting make things even worse (for that I use Chanel poudre universelle which itself is really good), after that my skin look porous. From a distance it would look ok, but no one buys a foundation only for that reason :)

I do not recommend this product, Vitalumiere aqua worked way better! Dont know if I'll repurchase VA because of the high alcohol content in it :(