Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet

Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet

3.8

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 5%, Titanium Dioxide 3.1% Inactive Ingredients: Water, Isododecane, Hydrogenated, Polyisobutene, Dimethicone, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Alcohol, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Celluslose, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Propanediol Dicaprylate, Stearakonium Hectorite, Aluminum Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Stearic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Carbonate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Fragrance, Talc, Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Lysine, Timethylsiloxysilicate/Dimethiconol Crosspolymer, Magnesium Chloride, BHT, Tocopherol, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Hydrated Silica (may contain) Ultramarines, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Mica

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

English is my second language, so sorry for typeos or any othe wieredness:)

I got this as a birthday present from my hubby right before our wedding. I had been eyeing it for a while and had gotten samples to try on and see if it was compatible with my very picky skin. This is one of the few high end foundations that doesn't break me out and I went through a good deal of samples of known brands. I tried Diorskin forever too, and my skin took weeks to recover, Yikes! But back to the review:

When I opened the package and saw the little box the foundation came in I got those oh-my-god-this-is-pure-luxury-I-can't-believe-I-own-this tingles all over. Black with gold and inside the foundation itself in a black plastick bottle. Not to keen on the plastic, but it looks amazing on my bathroom shelf non the less. Giddy as a school girl I rush into the bathroom to put this on my face and oogle at the result. It is a twist off cap on a squeeze bottle. Remember to shake the bottle (placing a finger over the opening) after you take the cap off, if not it will squirt. I tilt the bottle upside down and carefuly dot it on my skin then blend it with a sponge or beauty blender working in sections as this stuff dries quickly. At my first atempt I found it a bit hard to blend out prefectly compared to the sample. The reason for this was that since I had gotten the sample my skin had changed a bit. It had gotten a bit dryer, and I hadn't noticed. I have always been a normal to oily skin gal, but now I am normal to dry with oily T zone. Sarcastic yay.
Devastated I thought I wouldn't be able to use this expensive foundation (it is markedet towards normal to oily skin), but luckily I managed to pull myelf together and get a new moisturizer. With a proper hydrated skin I could happily apply my Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet in all it's glory, and it looked just as good as the sample. It is now my go to foundation. It is light coverage, not buildable in my oppinion, so it is definetly a your skin but better kinda deal, and it lasts a good while too, but benefits from a setting spray at least on me.
I love the feel of it on my skin, the only thing that lets me know I have it on is how soft my skin feels, and the scent. It smells so good, I imagine this is how expensive smells, hehe. The scent doesn't last though and is not strong in case you were wondering about that. The texture is kinda wiered at first. It was my first encounter with a liquid to powder foundation. It took a bit of getting used to, but notihng major, just a new way of applying a product. Chanel says it is best applied with the fingertips, but I didn't like that method. I prefer a sponge or beauty blender dipped ever so slightly in water. I plan on purchasing one of the Artise brushes and can't wait to try and apply it with that!

I find that even with dry patches you can get away with this fondation but only if you hydrate your skin. I use L'Oréal Paris Skin Perfection under and if I use a setting spray I use Urban Decay All Nighter.
For those of you that stuck with me through my ramble, yes, I did wear this at my wedding, and yes, it lasted all day, even with no setting spray as I didn't have one at the time. And yes, it photographs very well, no white cast. I didn't believe the pictures when we got them, I looked so freah even at the end of the night. Big + for Chanel.
I don't believe this is my holy grail of foundations, but it is pretty darn close.

Edit: After writing this I really wanted to try and apply The Perfection Lumiere Velvet with my finger again, but this time I tried mixing this in with my L'Oréal Paris Skin Perfection and that gave a very good result. I used an american blueberry sized dollop of moisturizer and four drops of foundation. One more than intended, but hey, I got to cover a big amount of my neck aswell. The pigment in this foundation really showed through when I did this. When mixing them together in my hands the foundation completely overtook the pink moisturizer and I got a bit of a shock as all of my fingers looked like they were covered in foundation, but it went on well. I might be doing this more often.

on 7/2/2016 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is a really great foundation for combination to oily skin. It is oil controlling. It leaves a nice matte finish that doesn't look dry. Chanel has really great foundations. This one has a water like texture to it. A little goes a long way, and I love how it makes my skin look. It isn't a flat matte either, it has a bit of radiance to it, but in a healthy way - not a glowy look. I have purchased this foundation many times. It works extremely well for my skin, and doesn't look heavy at all. Perfect for summer! Make sure you shake the bottle every time!

To Read all 115 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

At first, I had mixed feelings about this foundation. This is one of those very watery foundations where you have to shake the bottle and apply it with your fingers. This foundation takes some skill to apply it.

First, use your fingers. You will get a better result with fingers because this foundation is extremely lightweight and when applying it with a brush, it basically vanishes to nothing! With a brush, you will get very sheer coverage.

Another thing to consider is the speed in which you need to apply this foundation. It does glide on amazingly smooth but it dries in lightening speed! I find that this dries so fast, I don't even have time to place dots all over and blend. I have to work in sections. For instance, put two dots on one cheek and blend it out with your fingers. Move to your other cheek, etc.

Another mistake I made was to set this with powder. Because I'm oily, it's just habit to set everything. Some foundations, I have to use two powders to set it to avoid looking like a grease pit. DON'T USE POWDER WITH THIS FOUNDATION. The key word in the name is "Velvet" and I should have picked up on that. I got a crazy cake face look when I used powder to set this. I find this foundation works best if you just leave it be. The problem with that is if you're oily, you will see oils coming through as the day goes by. It's best to use blotting papers or napkins to soak up oil instead of using a powder.

After fixing my mistakes, I started to enjoy this foundation. I would still consider this a light coverage foundation even when applying with fingers. I love using this on casual days when I just want minimal makeup. I would never reach for this for events but if you already have great skin that is normal, I think it will be fine for a night out. I also love that this doesn't oxidize on me. In fact, the color stayed true during an hour of spin!

As for shade selection, Chanel foundations lean neutral cool imo. The only shade that works for me is 40 with all Chanel foundations. It's not a spot on match, it could use a little bit more yellow but it still works. For reference, I'm medium olive skinned/NC40.

Lastly, I do try to experiment with Chanel foundations because it seems to be a safe brand for my skin. I'm very reactive and acne prone to ingredients and Chanel foundations never cause any problems for me.

I've used this foundation on and off since it launched and I love it.
Pros:
-Extremely lightweight.
-Good coverage for something so thin (light to medium I'd say).
-Perfet colour match (very personal but it works for me :))
-Satin finish, so fairly luminous but definitely not dewey.
-Works well over most skincare products I've tried it on, except for oil based ones.
-Package is very travel friendly but still elegant.
Cons:
-it will wear off throughout the day on sides of nose and chin
-clings to dry patches so no good on dry skins.
-Not very good for very oily skins as the formula will break down.

I've repurchased it once and will do so again when it runs out.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

During my recent search for a new foundation I had the opportunity to try Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet. Although the foundation went on very nicely, and looked pretty good at first, it seemed to be a bit dry and gave me a little mustache, which I definitely don't need to have. The foundation seemed to accentuate any lines around my eye area and I did wear it all day, so that I could get the full effect. It didn't last long, nor was the coverage very good. It was lightweight and would probably work great for someone in their 20s and 30s, but it's not long lasting.

This gives me a beautiful finish to the skin. It softens the look of texture on the skin, pores and brightens up the skin in a natural way. Coverage can be build up to nearly full with light layers. Lasting power is good, lasted on my combination skin for 5 hours before I see some oil seeping through my T-zone. The foundation doesn't lift off when I blot my face with a tissue paper. Will need to touch up with powder after 7-8 hours as the foundation will gradually wear off. It is overall a nice and lasting foundation, it makes me look fresh for most of the time.

on 5/26/2016 10:01:00 AM

I didn't know this existed so had been using the Vitalumiere, which is amazing when you apply it but a nightmare for oily skin. I bought this by chance when the duty free shop had run out of the vitalumiere.

It's light, enough coverage and lasts on oily skin. I would recommend using the Chanel Solution 10 as they seem to work perfectly to keep skin matt and looking lovely. It doesn't cover acne scars, so you will definitely need a concealer but it will cover lighter scars and doesn't sink into pores or wrinkles. I've been using it for about 2 months now and have had no breakouts.

I also actually love the packaging as it's small and light and easy to carry around without fear of breaking.

on 5/22/2016 5:36:00 AM

I tried this instead of the Vitalumiere Aqua, because I was experiencing oily skin and this promises a matte finish. This product does what it says. It applies very smoothly- I just use my fingers. It's so easy to apply I don't even have to pay much attention to what I'm doing. It makes my skin velvety soft and smooth and that is what I love most about this foundation. Definitely if you prefer a more dewy finish this will not work for you. Vitalumiere aqua is what you need! While Lumiere velvet doesn't make your skin look flat, it's definitely not as luminous as VLA. sadly I did find by the end of the day I did need to start blotting my skin as I could see some oily patches in my TZone area. To be honest though I was going through a very oily stage and probably could have done with some powder to help keep the finish matte. It's just that I don't like powder at all as I worry about a powdery look to my skin which I hate. I love the cute little bottle, fits well in my make up bag and dispenses easily/cleanly. I think this would be a great foundation for summer time because of its abilities to mattify and feel light on the skin.

on 5/21/2016 3:49:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

OH I love this. New favourite daily foundation. It has replaced vitalumiere aqua for me. I have combination skin and found that vita aqua was making me look both oily and dry at the same time. I find the velvet makes me look less dry, while controlling the oil really well. Not trying to hate on the aqua, but I don't understand why people claim the aqua is designed for dry skin as I don't think it is and the alcohol content is higher than in the velvet. I think both are worth getting samples for and trying.

I find that this foundation applies best with a dry sponge, like the beauty blender or the RT dupe. This foundation is sheer-medium and buildable, but you won't be able to make it to full full coverage. What I love about this foundation is that it has a very smooth finish, helping to smooth over lines and pores, especially when you dab with a sponge. The finish isn't too matte either and leaves your face feeling velvet soft. A bit of powder on top and it controls my oil so well. Even though it doesn't have a dewy finish, I feel very fresh faced with this. It also doesn't make me look flaky, although if you have really dry skin, like I used to then I think this will accentuate it. I didn't expect to like this foundation, but I am so glad I was given a sample so I could discover this beauty! It also lasts all day and I love the sleek black packaging. This is fragranced, but I personally love the smell and haven't found it to be irritating.

Soo in love with this. One warning though - it dries quickly so make sure to blend quick so you don't have any concentrated marks or streaks!

i have the perfection lumiere, but where I work under bright lights I wanted to give the matte version a try to see if it lasts longer with out having to touch up any shine.

The bottle isn't the usual Chanel standard you would expect as its black and plastic but great for traveling or putting in your bag and you don't have to worry about opening up and seeing the dreaded smashed bottle.

The smell of this foundation is amazing, it goes on so smooth and feels amazing on the skin. I did have to go lighter in this foundation, I got 20 where as in the perfection lumiere I get the 30 beige.
This last all day for me and give a good coverage and everything else sits nicely on top. This doesn't slide of my face either like I have found some foundation do, it stays in place all day.
Even though it's a different shade to the other it still is a perfect match.

I try a lot of foundations and this one is one of my favourites the other being Armani lasting silk.