Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) 40% Lactic Acid Peel

Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC)  40% Lactic Acid Peel
40% Lactic Acid Peel

4.1

Ingredients: Lactic Serum Ingredients: Purified Water, Lactic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Hydroxide, Licorice Extract, Neolone (Preservative). pH Prep Solution Ingredients: Water, Witch Hazel, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, FD&C Blue #1 5/21/09

on 9/15/2017 9:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Decided to dive in to the world of at-home peels. I had a lot of research done from various sources and decided to try this lactic acid peel. First off, this has a smell to it which caught me by surprise. I have asked others and apparently that's normal. I followed the written instructions that came with my delivery very very carefully. I didn't want to damage my face! Anyway, I patch tested and I was fine. First time I tried this all over my face, I only left it on for half the max time allowed (5mins). I felt mild tingling but nothing too painful or unbearable. After washing it off, I noticed the white heads on my nose were lifting and felt excited that it seemed to be clearing my pores right away. 3 days after my peel, I noticed clogging (numerous red bumps) on my face especially my t-zone. I didn't think anything of it at first. When I retried this peel a week later, I had the same thing happen. Clogs all over. I had nothing new in my routine except this so I'm sure this is the culprit. I have decided not to use this peel again. If you're clog-prone, proceed with caution. Moving on to try their other peels.

Currently, my skin is combo-dehydrated, acne- and clog-prone, and midly sensitive.

on 4/22/2017 9:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This was my first foray into peels and it may be my last. I had read so many positive reviews for MUAC peels here, and did a ton of reading on their website. I've used it 3 times now, a week apart, and each time I've had lots of flakiness around my temples and chin, which I can deal with. What I can't understand is why I keep breaking out in both small whiteheads and under-the-skin bumps a day or two after use. Seems counter-productive to me to put on a stinging acid and then have my skin look worse? I think for me gentle and simple is better.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

A long time ago, a dermatologist created a skin care line specializing in the problems of "ethnic"(like if you're from Norway it's not an ethnicity?Wa?) i.e., darker and mixed race skin, namely hyper pigmentation. I would have never come across it if it wasn't for one day at a TJMaxx in 2008, when I found a serum of her, the Skin Absolute Radiance Intensive Exfoliating Serum. My instincts came in and said this was a ringer for my then, unbeknownst to me, hormonal acne marks and blotches from summer vacation. That day and the months that followed changed my life. My skin became the most beautiful it had ever been. I took my yearbook pictures, graduation pics at the time I used said product. Everyone wouldn't stop gushing about how incredibly stunning my coloring was and the vitality my skin had. My mom, who is the most staunch woman out there, once said my skin was so pristine as if i were five again. My yearbook photographer was so moved he referred me a job as an artist model in the art college in my city. I didn't know what the original formulation of said product had, but if I remember correctly it had some percentage of hydroquinone and glycolic acid. The product was in a clouded clear glass bottle with a medium brown cap and orange and red lettering. All I knew was that on inquiring online, the product was discontinued and later reformulated. My heart break was not small. Worse, a friend of my mom's had melasma, and it was affecting her confidence. She asked my mom what I used and I wrote down what it was. But my conscience didn't consider that enough, so I gave her the last bottle I had knowing I wouldn't find more.

Fast forward a few years and as I was educating myself, I came across MUAC. This was the peel named the standard for hyper pigmentation and darker folks by both the company,MUA, and plenty of statements by the skin care community online. And to a point, they were right. But to get to those results, you have to be patient and devote a good 2-3 months. That it just depending on the peel alone. When I used this, my freckles and my then unknown pigmentation from hormonal acne, would diminish, but would purge whiteheads soon after use. Yet my skin was as close to perfection as it was then with Dr.Susan's serum, and as it is now by incorporating this peel with MUAC's 30% Glycolic Peel and the Mandelic/Salicylic Peel. I use them in rotation, a different peel every week. My skin is pulsating with life and health, and this peel contributes by bringing balance and clarity to my skin coloring. Also a nice translucent glow that looks like you had a good romp or workout. My face is now the same color as my body, a problem with us darker folks that have used some lightening products in the past. It is extremely gentle and easy to use, but slow and steady when it comes to delivering its work. Please bear in mind that I don't use this to prevent acne, nor do I think you should use it with that goal in mind. I use this to even my skin only. Somethings aren't meant to multitask and with time I've come to feel that this is okay. You don't have to have a pharmacy of products, but a handful of products that work is just fine. A rare 4.5/5 from me.

on 1/15/2017 12:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I just love Muac! It's an unsung skincare hero, same ingredients as pricier brands (Sunday Riley, etc.) but so much cheaper. I am one of those lucky people who experience pigmentation after any little zit or cut, etc. The days of instant healing are most definitely gone for me. This product is so good at fading pigmentation. And extremely gentle. I am an experienced acids user, so I would definitely use with caution if you're not, but I was still surprised at the lack of flaking, irritation, and redness from this peel. Lactic acid really is extremely gentle, I'm going to seek out more lactic acid products now. It did sting a bit on application, and you'll definitely (of course) need to moisturize after, but skin was for sure less clogged, more radiant, pigmentation lighter, and fine lines much less prominent. Instant results! And they last for a few days. Great for cleaning out pores and preventing acne. I never get acne when I'm top of my acid game, it's wonderful. Don't exfoliate for at least a day after using this, you don't want to damage your acid mantle, great thing is you won't even feel the need to! Just sit back and enjoy the results. I love and have rave reviews for Muac's mandelic acid peel, but this one is topping that! Great company, great products. They sent me a sample of their DMAE cleanser and I'm loving that too, definitely gonna purchase a full size of that, so wonderful customer service also. Everyone raves about the instant results of Sunday Riley Good Genes, well, same active ingredient as this peel, so please, try this before you shell out the big bucks, and see what you think. Any issue I have with my skin now is from my own laziness, not my products, and honestly, that's a lovely feeling!

on 10/5/2016 11:02:00 PM

Don't hesitate and buy this! Even just the tester.

I have suffered for years with mild to moderate acne. I recent bout of blind pimples on my problem cheek sent me to buy MUAC products. I had also had a couple of 20% peels from a beauty therapist which were good, and I knew I could do it myself!

No more breakouts after about 3 weeks or month of using it. My cheek is healing so much and the whole face is smooth and happy.

These products are cheap and go a long way (I use twice a week). Spend the cash you have left over on a nice non pore clogging moisterisor (I use Sothy's) and a nice face wash (I use Aspect gentle wash).

I like the PH solution also, which is cheap. I would encourage you to buy the $10 bigger bottle as it seems to be a lovely toner too.

I have lots of MUAC products on the way to me and I am so happy to find them!

I can finally get on with worrying about the rest of my life and not my face woes!

on 10/1/2016 7:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love MUAC peels. And what a great company. Affordable products and excellent customer service. So I don't want to give this stuff a negative review...I think I might just need a higher percentage. But I've not seen much in the way of results from this particular peel. In fact it makes my skin look a little rough for a couple days and then nothing. I've been using it weekly for a few months now. I got it bc I read lactic acid was the gold standard for hyperpigmentation. Maybe it is and maybe I just need something like the 65% peel. But for now, for me, the 30% glycolic is actually the HUGE winner in finally starting to lighten my dark spots. I encourage you to read my review on the glycolic peel.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've used the 40% lactic acid peel since mid-November 2014. I use the peel on my neck once a week and on my face once a month. The reason my neck gets more usage is because it is darker from excess sun exposure and lactic acid is better for hyper pigmentation. On my neck, I've noticed slight fading of the tan and when I use it on my face, my acne scars are slightly lighter. This peel makes my skin very soft as well and brings pimples to head. I find this peel is too weak for me and perhaps I should have used the 55% la peel or the fade peel. I will be ordering a stronger peel next time. Oh, 1/2 ounce (15 ml) peel seems to last forever, I think I'll get two more months of use. The 40% la peel is great for beginners.

edit: Sunscreen is no option when using chemical peels, you must wear it when you go outside. AHAs make the skin more sensitive to the the sun.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I was so excited to find this on Amazon, because I'd previously been using a glycolic acid from a beauty supply store that stopped carrying the line. And this stuff works almost as well without needing a license to buy. I think everyone else has left great details for how to use this, and I recommend following the directions carefully too. Also make sure to follow with baking soda, because it neutralizes the acid. I didn't the first time, and kept wondering why my skin burned the next day..Oops...And I leave it on for as long as I think I can get away with, but I've also been using it for awhile, and I really want to lighten and smooth out old acne scars.

Let me tell you this stuff WORKS. I personally have severely RED skin after using it for a about 2 days and then lots of shedding. So I recommend doing this treatment on your days off if you can, because you will not want to wear make-up for a while. Also it burns like hell, but it's worth it. I've found that the only cleanser/moisturizer I can use afterwards is good old Jergens cold cream, the old fashioned pink creamy stuff. It's perfect for balancing my skin back out and it helps with the healing process, while relieving my skin of the painful burn.

And it is painful, but after 5 to 7 days my skin is a lot younger looking, softer, smoother, and my acne scars are disappearing. And my skin gets better with each treatment, which I've done once a month for a year. Also with this type of skin treatment I recommend, as other have said too, to never use a harsh scrub on your skin again. Harsh scrubs irritate acne and spread germs anyway, ( for people with severe acne problems) I think. I used scrubs for years and I swear they contributed to scarring and did zero to help me. Also this stuff does have apple cider vinegar in it I think, because it truly smells like it's in there somewhere.

It's not the very best acid I've used, but it's a good one. I would re-buy it. It's not as intense as the others I've tried, but it is very good. I can see how some of the reviewers are using it twice a month or more often than other acids, especially if they only leave it on for a few minutes. I'm glad I started using acids to help fade scars overall, they truly do work. I don't have severe breakouts anymore at my age really, occasionally I might get a pimple if I use the wrong foundation, so my review is really only for scars and wrinkles. I think this stuff would work on acne too though. I wish I'd found it years ago!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

For reference, I have dehydrated-normal skin. I wanted to use this chemical peel to fade the red-purple acne scars had gathered over the years. I have had success with lactic acid in the past, and this product was no exception.

I have used lower strength daily-use lactic acid products in the past (e.g. St. Ives scrub-free exfoliating pads) which do a good job at evening my skin texture and keeping away small pimples, but with those I only see a small amount of fading in acne scars over a long period of time. With a single chemical peel, I see overnight results in fading my acne scars that would take the St. Ives pads about a month or two. (I'll note that I don't know if these results are the norm.)

I do a chemical peel every couple of weeks to supplement my daily-use AHA toner. I've gone through about half of my trial size/1 oz bottle, which is quite generous considering how little I use each time. It's easy to use, and I apply a thin layer to clean, dry skin that I swipe with the pH prep toner that was incuded. I do experience slight stinging and redness when it's on, but after 3-5 minutes I rinse it off with soap and water. I apply a thin layer of a Vaseline to slightly damp skin (I would normally use a regular moisturizer with humectants underneath but as my skin is slightly red still at this point I don't want to irritate i) and I'm done in under 10 minutes.

Overall, I've been really pleased with how this product has helped fade my acne scars and improve my skin. If you've had success with lactic acid in the past and want to speed up the fading of any acne scars, this is worth a shot.

on 10/27/2015 5:20:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I have decided to try this peel to correct hyper pigmentation both on my cheekbone.I have used 40% Lactic Acid twice for a week now, left it on for 7 minutes. There was some tingling feeling while it was on - but no peeling at all. I don't notice any change on my face. Since I had no peeling, I wonder if this has worked? Anyone with the same experience?