Laneige BB Cushion [Whitening]

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Price: 3
Packaging: 3
Buy again: tentative yes (for now)

This is my first venture into Asian BB creams and only my second BB cream in general, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was sick of obvious, foundation-y textures and I don't have much that really needs covering so I bought this cream-- I had to buy the whitening version because it was the only version on Amazon selling shade no. 13 True Beige (I wear over primer and have experienced no whitening effects after 1 month of everyday use). I'm somewhere between nc15-20 and the shade matches well, and I'm guessing a perfect match for a true 15. After days scouring pictures of bloggers wearing the cream, it seems no. 21 Natural Beige could fit a pretty wide range of skin tones. Another reason I like this is because it leans warm and doesn't oxidize at all, let alone into a grey cast that I've gathered a large number of Asian BB's will do.
I think the product-soaked cushion is gimmicky/wasteful and wish they would stick to the regular squeeze-tube packaging, but the actual sponge is a surprisingly good application tool. I was prepared to throw out the sponge but as I patted product over my face with it, I found it was good at creating even coverage, smoothing over pores, and not eating up the cream. And I grudgingly admit the cooling sensation is real and does feel pretty refreshing. I recently switched back to my #56 Sephora brush because I think it's slightly better at covering the larger pores and blending without pressing into the skin. But don't worry if you don't have a buffing brush because the sponge is a really close second. Although it's advertised as being a primer too, it had a tendency to sink into pores on my inner cheeks-- not very noticeable but enough to make me use a separate primer. It still settles a bit around my nostrils but I've improved this by first dabbing some Estee Lauded Double Wear in the area before applying the cream.
The texture is light and thin and coverage is sheer-medium(ish), so you'll want something extra if you have any spots. I feel like I'm barely wearing anything on my face. It's very dewy and I like to set with Nars Light Reflecting Powder or Laura Mercier Translucent Powder. As I mentioned, it creases around my nostrils and also in smile lines (I have to avoid those lines completely). This cream doesn't dry me out or cling onto dry patches.
I'm lazy and usually don't blot throughout the day (I have slightly dry skin but still get midday oil in T-zone), but the cream doesn't seem to separate or break down. I might reapply a little around my nose if I feel like it after carefully blotting, but there's not much transfer. That being said, don't swipe anything over your face or your coverage will disappear; this is definitely not transfer/water/sweat/life-resistant... My boyfriend playfully booped my nose and asked why I looked pained ("Well, you took my paint off."). If I'm going out that night, I'll either do thorough touch-ups or redo it completely.
I should mention the smell. It is extremely sweet and perfumey and hung around for 20 or so minutes after I applied. I'm never bothered by scented cosmetics but I was feeling slightly nauseous after a while and thought it would ruin the cream for me. Fortunately, over the next few uses I noticed it less and less and soon I only smelled it during application. So there's a good change you'll just get used to it, but keep looking if you're sensitive to smells.
Even though I'd like the product in tube form better, I'll say the packaging was done well for what it is. The cushion eliminates potential spillage/air bubble explosions, so there's that. The compact is as big as my palm and has weight-- It looks and feels expensive, closing with a tight click and sporting a big mirror in the lid. I like that the application sponge is stored in a separate compartment from the soaked cushion and that the cushion is protected from drying out by a secondary snug, plastic cover.
The only major thing I would change about this cream is an improvement in transfer and wear time and while I'll be on the lookout for one that is, I will happily finish this one and its refill for its skin-perfecting qualities that I do love.