Laneige BB Cushion [Whitening]

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Price: 3
Packaging: 3
Buy again: tentative yes (for now)

This is my first venture into Asian BB creams and only my second BB cream in general, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was sick of obvious, foundation-y textures and I don't have much that really needs covering so I bought this cream-- I had to buy the whitening version because it was the only version on Amazon selling shade no. 13 True Beige (I wear over primer and have experienced no whitening effects after 1 month of everyday use). I'm somewhere between nc15-20 and the shade matches well, and I'm guessing a perfect match for a true 15. After days scouring pictures of bloggers wearing the cream, it seems no. 21 Natural Beige could fit a pretty wide range of skin tones. Another reason I like this is because it leans warm and doesn't oxidize at all, let alone into a grey cast that I've gathered a large number of Asian BB's will do.
I think the product-soaked cushion is gimmicky/wasteful and wish they would stick to the regular squeeze-tube packaging, but the actual sponge is a surprisingly good application tool. I was prepared to throw out the sponge but as I patted product over my face with it, I found it was good at creating even coverage, smoothing over pores, and not eating up the cream. And I grudgingly admit the cooling sensation is real and does feel pretty refreshing. I recently switched back to my #56 Sephora brush because I think it's slightly better at covering the larger pores and blending without pressing into the skin. But don't worry if you don't have a buffing brush because the sponge is a really close second. Although it's advertised as being a primer too, it had a tendency to sink into pores on my inner cheeks-- not very noticeable but enough to make me use a separate primer. It still settles a bit around my nostrils but I've improved this by first dabbing some Estee Lauded Double Wear in the area before applying the cream.
The texture is light and thin and coverage is sheer-medium(ish), so you'll want something extra if you have any spots. I feel like I'm barely wearing anything on my face. It's very dewy and I like to set with Nars Light Reflecting Powder or Laura Mercier Translucent Powder. As I mentioned, it creases around my nostrils and also in smile lines (I have to avoid those lines completely). This cream doesn't dry me out or cling onto dry patches.
I'm lazy and usually don't blot throughout the day (I have slightly dry skin but still get midday oil in T-zone), but the cream doesn't seem to separate or break down. I might reapply a little around my nose if I feel like it after carefully blotting, but there's not much transfer. That being said, don't swipe anything over your face or your coverage will disappear; this is definitely not transfer/water/sweat/life-resistant... My boyfriend playfully booped my nose and asked why I looked pained ("Well, you took my paint off."). If I'm going out that night, I'll either do thorough touch-ups or redo it completely.
I should mention the smell. It is extremely sweet and perfumey and hung around for 20 or so minutes after I applied. I'm never bothered by scented cosmetics but I was feeling slightly nauseous after a while and thought it would ruin the cream for me. Fortunately, over the next few uses I noticed it less and less and soon I only smelled it during application. So there's a good change you'll just get used to it, but keep looking if you're sensitive to smells.
Even though I'd like the product in tube form better, I'll say the packaging was done well for what it is. The cushion eliminates potential spillage/air bubble explosions, so there's that. The compact is as big as my palm and has weight-- It looks and feels expensive, closing with a tight click and sporting a big mirror in the lid. I like that the application sponge is stored in a separate compartment from the soaked cushion and that the cushion is protected from drying out by a secondary snug, plastic cover.
The only major thing I would change about this cream is an improvement in transfer and wear time and while I'll be on the lookout for one that is, I will happily finish this one and its refill for its skin-perfecting qualities that I do love.

on 4/6/2016 7:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have pretty brown skin so I'm super grateful that Laneige carries dark colours. Thank you Laneige. Thank you.

The shade was PERFECT with my skin colour. My sister even accidentally picked up a shade lighter than her skin colour but the colour oxides pretty well and eventually didn't look like her head was floating in thin air. But maybe that's cause it faded by that point. I'm not sure. But it matched me perfectly!

They do claim that the product does a lot. I'll review it according to the claims.
1. Brightening effect?
I personally don't know. I didn't use it often enough to see any changes. My sister uses it daily and she says that it did brighten her skin up. Just slightly though.
2. UV protection?
Well yeah, I didn't get sunburnt when I use it and I definitely didn't tan. But. I was advised to put suncream on top of it anyways. I never liked putting my suncream over it cause I was afraid it'd feel too greasy or cakey but it surprisingly didn't and sat well. Maybe it's cause I use the sun cream from the same line.

3. Moisturizing Effect?
I have normal to oily skin so I may not be the best person to say whether or not it did this but for me. It was pretty moisturising. My face was dewy all day.

4. Natural and clean coverage?
Hell yes. It looked hella natural. Felt hella natural too. It was completely weightless on my skin. It says on the pamphlet/website itself that this gives a MEDIUM coverage so. I didn't expect much outta it. However it concealed most of my aged blemishes. The more larger blemishes couldn't be cover in one application. I didn't mind it though. It's is a BB cream and not a concealer after all. But it definitely did what it claimed to do. So yay~

5. Soothing effect?
Yes. The application was cooling. Enough said

6. Water resistant?
Yes. But it also further claims to last for 12 hours. I guess that depends on what you're doing. I'm rarely ever out that long but i usually only ever wear it for like 5-7 hours and I never usually have to re-apply. But then again. It's an exact fit to my skin colour so I wouldn't really know if it faded. But I do know that when it comes time to cleansing, it's still there. To what degree? I don't know XD

So yeah over all amazing! It's pretty pricey but it comes with a refill so think of it as buying 2 when you purchase it :)

Looking for a new BB cream? This is my new FAVORITE peice of make up (and i am a make up whore!!!) It's by Laneige (sold exclusively at Target). It's a BB cushion in a compact, you apply with a pad- It's wet, but dries for a flawless powder finish. Do not let the $35 price tag scare you, its worth EVERY SINGLE penny. I also love that you get a refill along with it, so its like two for the price of one. I don't suggest using this on days that you need heavy coverage, but it works so well on days you just want light coverage. I also find I don't need to use a primer before application either, which is a plus. Target has really stepped their game up!!!!
I almost forgot, I love the smell of this product too...

holy grail for Asian skin

on 11/5/2015 12:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

THIS IS FOR THE NON-WHITENING AND NON-PORE CONTROL cushion.
I couldn't find the regular post
Hmm I'm not sure if this is HG because I want to try out the Hera UV Mist Ultra Moisturizing before deciding and the Sulwhasoo Perfecting Cushion to compare.

I love how moisturizing it is.
I want to tell everyone and their mother because for such a quality product $34.00USD + tax is such a steal. I just wish it came in 10+ shades like everything else in America.

Let me tell you why.
It is moisturizing.
ZOMG do not buy if your country/ has on average over 40% humidity with temperatures in the 80s degrees fahrenheit (27 degrees C) or above.
It will melt off your face (what I experienced in Korea).
It incorporates the same water bank technology used in the water bank moisturizing cream. (Pore control does not have this aspect)
I'm sure it has many other skincare ingredients in the product that are appropriate for millenials or those who are younger.

You get two cakes!!!
Each with a ruby-cell puff.
I took a year to get through one.
You finish a side then you flip. That's one cake.

So for $17 dollars you get the same amt what you would normally buy in a bottle/pact of another company's foundation product. That's a steal because I don't know of any other foundation you can get with the same skincare benefits as this product.

Why I love this product is because if you're in a hurry you can just put this on only after washing your face no toner lotion anything necessary. Just pat and go.

It is very hygienic because you don't touch your face and get foundation everywhere. Two presses of the puff in the sponge and you have light-medium coverage.
This product is not really for those who want something that stays long like over 4 hours or high coverage. If you want more coverage you can always pat more on, but I don't like to because it makes your makeup look really thick.

I think it's a kindof trade of between moisturizing skincare versus lasting power. I'm not sure... but overall cushion foundations aren't really known for lasting long.

I don't think I will be repurchasing this product any time soon because I have the AHC cushion to try, the Isa Knox cushion, and want to purchase Hera and or Sulwhasoo too :(

But if I had no other cushions or way to try others I would definitely buy it again.
I use light because their medium is too dark. In terms of the Korean foundation numbering system I think light is 21 and medium is 25. Dark is a non-existent shade in Korean numbering.
I am closer to a 21 than 25 so I bought light. I think I'm a 23 since the Amore Pacific CC in 104 (Tan Blush was a perfect skin match).

on 6/6/2017 10:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I bought this whitening cusion in the holiday edition and it's the most beautiful packaging ever! I bought shade 21, which is a close match to my NC 20-25 skintone, but it is a tiny bit too light. This cushion makes my skin look really healthy and dewy, which I like. Coverage is light/medium but buildable without looking cakey. However, this cusion is not very long wearing and after 4 hours the foundation starts to wear off around my mouth, nose and chin. It also isn't oil controlling. In addition, my cushion didn't seem to contain much product. And I really don't use a lot of foundation! After using it for 2 weeks, I have to flip the cushion every time I use it. Otherwise I can't get the product on the puff. My sister didn't seem to have the same problem so maybe I just got a faulty cushion? Anyway, I don't think I'll repurchase the whitening version, but I might try the pore control.

on 3/17/2016 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

This wasn't the product i wanted to buy at first, but the sales lady was really nice so I bought it, its about 60SGD for the cushion with one refill, the price wasn't that expensive since they gave you 2 of it in a box (30 dollars for one which is the normal price of a bb cushion in Singapore).

My first impression was that this smells really good and it has SPF, and i personally have very very sensitive skin and it gets really irritated when i use products with a SPF, this did not give me that problem. Also the patting method i was told to use for this is alittle tedious, other than that the application is rather even on me. I'm wearing number 23 sand beige and this did not give me a grey ghastly look like bb creams usually give which i am so thankful about

Secondly, i have skin that are flaky at some areas and my T zone is just plain oily, when i first applied this it looked very very nice and natural, it does take some time to dry for me but after awhile when i reached my work place, i noticed the flakes on my skin are quite visible at a closer look, and i'm already slightly shinning on the T zone ( i always set my makeup with powder).

So after i knock off work, i went for a family dinner and had some drinks afterwards as well, it extremely humid in singapore so i did blot of face with a blotting paper, i was wearing this for about 18 hours before i removed it. And guess what, its still here. It was still clearly visible on my face! I had tried many long lasting foundations and other bb creams and none of them had lasted this long. I am very impressed.

Overall, this product
1- last really long
2- easy to carry around
3- reasonable priced
4- did not irritate my sensitive skin
5- i have to blot my face since i have oily T zone.

on 2/24/2016 9:51:00 PM

I have totally converted to using bb cushions ever since the first laneige bb cushion came out.

I started out using the very first series, followed by the pore control one, and the whitening one. The whitening series is by far my favorite. My skin is relatively good, I don't get pimples often, no major scars or blemishes to hide. Just uneven skin tone, and a little redness round my nose.

Pros:
1. Gives my skin a very beautiful luminous glow, I don't even have to wear highlighter with this
2. photographs beautifully, no white cast (even though it has a SPF 50++)
3. doesn't make me any more greasy than the pore control one
4. perfect match for my skin - I'm an NC 25 in MAC and shade 21 in laneige

Cons:
1. My skin has started to get really dry recently, not sure if it started ever since i swapped to this cushion. will not put me off the cushion though!

i LOVE IT! will totally repurchase it again and again.

on 6/7/2015 1:12:00 AM

As I have been using this BB cushion for over a year, I think it's time for me to write a review.

I have a combination skin which is also somewhat sensitive and acne-prone, but I didn't experience any break out.
It typically lasts around 6 hours before my face gets noticeably oilier, but then again I usually use it for around 9 hours and it still doesn't melt.
Please note that I am currently living in a tropical country where the daily temperature is always around 30ish degrees C.

In regard to its coverage, I think it's light to medium. My face gets red really easily and this can help cover the redness.
Previously I used shade 21 because I was afraid that shade 13 would be unable to conceal redness. However, since I found that shade 21 could no longer suit my skin tone, I have switched to shade 13 and apparently it works fine!
Even so, whenever I got quite a big acne, the acne would still be quite obvious.
So if you are looking for a BB cushion with a good coverage, this might not be for you.
I don't know why some reviewers (in other websites) who got it from Target in the US said that the coverage is quite heavy.
Maybe there're different versions for the US and the ones in Asia? I got mine from an Asian online retailer.

I don't find it particularly moisturising, so even though previously I often wore it alone (without moisturiser), these days I applied light moisturiser before applying this.
One thing I really love from this product is that it makes my face looks glowing.
Ever since I started using this, I have got many people complimented my face and asked what product I was using.
Oh and also, I don't complain about the puff hygiene, because I am the type that don't touch up. LOL. I think it's better to apply it on a freshly-cleansed face so the puff won't be contaminated by bacteria.

Different people may have different criteria for their HG BB cream. Personally, I feel that this product has satisfied my needs.
In short, I absolutely love this product!

on 1/12/2015 9:51:00 AM

I finally succumbed into the whole beauty hype on BB cushion foundations. I believe Laneige is one of the pioneers in this products, now almost every other Korean cosmetics brand has a version of their BB cushion. It comes in a puff that soaks up the foundation which is in turn saturated in a sponge. My grip about this is its not very hygienic as residues from the sponge is transferred to the foundation sponge (nothing much you can do about it really).

The BB foundation aims to brighten and correct skintones for a luminous radiant complexion. I couldnt agree more. It gives this dewy look that you see in Korean celebrities. Colour selection is limited so if you are more on the tanner side, you might find problem with a shade fit. It also comes with a slight fragrance which doesnt bug me however if you have oily skin, this may not be for you as the formulation does not leave a matte finish. I have combination skin and i go with a light weight moisturiser if im using this. Coverage is low-medium.