Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Guerlain Vol de Nuit

4.1

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I get very little sillage from Vol de Nuit. In order to smell it I really have to hold my wrist to my nose. This goes for both the Parfum and the EDT. This and the exorbitant price are the main reasons why I wouldn't buy a bottle, but it is still a beautiful fragrance.

Vol de Nuit in the EDT form starts out with a really funny bit of Jean Nate mixed with Aliage (the real stuff from the 80s). This is funny only because the true character of the fragrance couldn't be any more different from either, so if you smell this at first, don't judge it then. Wait 5 minutes, and you will get an absolutely magical heart of oakmoss, soft leather, roses and vanilla. This lasts for an hour or so, and then melts to a creamy, powdery doll's head, gingerbread spice and incense scent that is to die for, if you happen to have your nose buried into your skin.

Of course it would be much more intoxicating if it could be smelled at a greater distance than three-to-five inches from the application point (this goes for EDT and parfum both), but at least to my nose, it's not strong or effervescent enough to grab the senses unless you're actively sniffing for it. It's a base-note scent top to bottom, and so it's subtle, which would be a very lovely thing if only it weren't extremely pricey. As much as I love the parfum bottle and the story (I had a small obsession with St. Exupery as a teen), this is in the same vein as Caron's Nuit de Noel and Habanita, both of which came out about ten years prior to Vol de Nuit and represent opposite ends of Vol de Nuit's spectrum. They also cost far, far less, also have great stories and gorgeous bottles, and are quite a lot stronger and more distinctive scents blending rose, oakmoss, vanilla and spices -- Habanita is also has green, tobacco, leather and incense, while Nuit de Noel is a creamier, sweeter scent with aldehydes and a distinctive nuttiness.

There are so many Guerlains that I would love to love, but ultimately they've priced their best ones way out of my market, and the only way that I could ever justify a purchase like that is if it really did hit every mark. But with subtle reformulations over the years rending their best fragrances tame, I would much rather stick with those few classic scents from other lines whose reformulations still have the same spirit and big distinctive presence that just about all fragrances had in the golden era of perfumey perfume.

on 10/1/2010 8:39:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I was all set to love this. Firstly, it's a Guerlain. Secondly, the bottle is strikingly beautiful, and the name reminds me of a Howard Hughes movie (only if Howard Hughes was French). However, this is one of those Guerlains that doesn't develop on me. It smelled exactly as aldehydic and synthetic on my skin after hours of wear as it did straight from the sample...pretty much as if I rubbed fancy nail polish remover on my skin. Also it gave me a bit of a rash. So sad!

on 11/26/2008 9:14:00 AM

What is it about Jacques Guerlain's classic perfumes that makes them so difficult, yet so compelling? For so long, I dismissed Vol de Nuit as too dark, gamey, and weird. I even compared it to a barnyard, animals included. But when I tried it at the Waldorf-Astoria's charming little Guerlain space yesterday evening, something happened. I finally started to get it. The wood notes, so smooth that they seemed polished, came out, as did vanilla and some notes that reminded me of old-fashioned face cream and powder. It was still dark, but no longer impossible. Now, instead of a barnyard, I think of a 1930s femme fatale's dressing table, upon which Vol de Nuit's beautiful, Art Deco extrait bottle would go perfectly.

on 2/22/2008 5:46:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Timeless. Classy. Captivating.
My favorite Guerlain along with Jardins de Bagatelle.
EDT is fine with me:) Love it!

on 8/6/2007 4:32:00 PM

I know many people like this, but when I put it on it turns into a medicinal kind of onion smell! I love several Guerlain fragrances, and I was stunned at how awful this turned out to be on me!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Strict, strong, confident, assertive and mature. Very noble scent, like a cold glance, a slap on the cheek with a leather glove, a sharp remark, a wise advice, a pencil skirt, black heels and a starched white shirt with an art deco broach. This Madame requires a certain kind of owner, someone I am not but perhaps will be in the future. I love smelling it on my skin as it takes me back to my grandmaís home furnished with antiques and filled with African violets, but I just canít wear it. For now this is a little too magisterial for me.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

When i read reviews on this i thought that all the MUAr's were going mad, due to all the poetry, but when i received a sample of this from ebay i understood why. This scent reminds me of some woman my grandmother new, and i always admired how she smelled and how classy she was. Lovely scent.

on 10/17/2005 8:43:00 AM

A beautiful old fragrance. It started with a lovely, warm, comforting, powdery, elegant and not too overwhelming notes on my skin - very nice. And this is the best part of it for me because after a while it developes an overly woodsy drydown: still very nice for those who are looking for woody scents. As I'm not exactly into those type of fragrances I think it is not for me. My husband think it is "too woodsy" and not my style. I still like it a lot. Very nice perfume.

on 5/23/2005 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Thanks to the lovely animallover, I've gotten the chance to try several classic Guerlains. I hate L'Heure Bleue, love Mitsouko and Apres l'Ondee, and this one is somewhere in between. This one seems less well-blended than the others. It does get great reviews, and I sampled the parfum, so it's probably just me. It opens up spicy/sweet, and I didn't much care for it at that point. But after the top notes dried down (which took less time than with most Guerlains), it ended up a very pleasant, mostly amber-vanilla mix, with a few bright florals. In spite of the name, it didn't seem nocturnal or adventurous, but cozy and hopeful.

on 11/23/2004 1:35:00 AM

I can't wear this because of the aldehydes. They are light, but still detectable, and smell sour and state (like a sickroom) on me. Nonetheless, each time I wore it, I marveled at this fragrance, and could begin to tell how aldehydes are supposed to work by giving "lift" to the other notes in the scent. It is, to me, as if the notes are painted on the surface of a cloud (but on me, the cloud is smoggy yellow instead of fluffy white).

My impression of this scent is of the end of a lovely night out with my husband. It is winter, bitter cold outside, but it is warm in the car as we head home, a bit sleepy and full of happiness from the night we've had, not sorry that the night is ending because we love going home together. The full moon illuminates the clouds in the dark sky and the frost on the windows. We quietly enjoy this moment together.

Popular Fragrances