Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Guerlain Vol de Nuit

4.1

on 3/17/2013 3:04:00 AM

For me, Vol de Nuit is distinguished and made exciting by its juxtaposition of disparate notes. Chalky, bitter galbanum and sour citrus smoothly interpenetrate a subtly-orientalized, earthy accord of oakmoss, benzoin, vanilla, and powdery orris. The perfume straddles the divide between oriental and chypre. Where orientals stand gooey-thick up to their knees in a tar-pit of rich, sweet, heavily ambered & balsamic winter-cozy accords, Vol de Nuit merely sticks a toe into this dark territory while keeping her other foot anchored in the lighter fields of chypre with its brown, autumnal, leaf-litter basenotes. Murmurings of vanilla and benzoin tease the primary woody-oakmoss structure, as together they trip through withered, flaxen fields. I get little to no florals, personally. But that's okay. This isn't that kind of a party.

The strength of the EDT is notoriously abysmal, but the vintage parfum is a bit more rich. This perfume vibrates with natural essences; the chlorine twang of modern synthetic fragrances is completely absent here. If one thinks this perfume lacks pizzazz or zing, it's only because that person was - most likely - weaned on modern chemicals substituting for quality essences. Vol de Nuit was the real deal, lovely quality stuff. I can't comment on the current parfum as I haven't tried it, but the vintage is exquisite work. A very calming and grounding fragrance.

on 10/29/2011 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Mitsouko and I simply don't get along. Shalimar is lovely but a bit too opulent on me, and besides, it's my mother's fragrance. Apres l'Ondee is a stunning floral, but I'm more of an oriental gal. L'Heure Bleue stays cold and aloof and never quite settles on my skin. But oh, Vol de Nuit is perfection.

It smells so similar to L'Heure Bleue at first that I get a little nervous. Then the magic happens. While L'Heure Bleue stays one-dimensional, Vol de Nuit warms and turns polished and golden and epitomizes pretty much everything I love about older classic perfumes with their powdery amber and vanillic benzoin and complexity and nostalgia. It also gets bonus points for having the most beautiful parfum bottle in the fragrance world. I would encourage fans of Caron's Nuit de Noel to also try Vol de Nuit, because they have a lot in common, both in scent and in overall feeling.

on 8/22/2008 5:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Whoa, I'm having some problems with my "The Guide" 5 Stars... first "Chinatown," now this I just can't stand. Okay, I hated this less than the Chinatown but it dried down to what basically smelled like rubber. And not the clean new-tire rubber of "Bulgari Black," but a dirty old rubber ball, like the kind I used to bounce against a wall as a kid. This is weirding me out -- could it be I have a major personal problem with tuberose? I know tuberose has that rubber/butter smell I don't like, personally. But this doesn't have tuberose listed in the notes... Narcissus? Or could it be my chemistry is wacky this week and making everything smell bad? Maybe, but I simply can't say this stuff sucks, for me it just didn't work. I guess that's why perfumes are so fascinating, because how could Dame Diana Rigg be wrong?

on 2/20/2008 10:10:00 AM

I initially tried this as an eau de toilette and liked it. Then I bought a vintage bottle of parfum and was captivated by it. While the topnotes are very subdued in my bottle (partly due to its age I would imagine), the drydown is glorious. It has the very obvious Guerlain base, with some of the animalic qualities of Jicky, but with a deep resinous woody character as well. I noticed the Iris when I wore it first, but the notes are blended in such a way that I am much more conscious of the entire composition than anything else. It is as if the notes merely add various facets to the fragrance without drawing attention to themselves individually. I would advise caution in the application of this fragrance. A little can be very tantalising, but it doesn't take a lot for it to be annoying -even though the smell might not be too strong. With just the right amount, I believe it is one of the most sensual Guerlains.

on 12/30/2007 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This review is for the parfum version of Vol de Nuit. It is unfortunate for me that the Guerlains in general all appear to have quite a bit of trouble rising and evolving on my skin into anything more than a mishmash of notes. Vol de Nuit is no exception, which is so unfortunate for me, and will certainly end my quest into the depths of the Guerlain collection. I am able to pull out of the whole thing a warm leather, and an impression of a powdery iris, but other than that the whole thing has a green, sharp tone to it as well that clouds out the rest of the scent. It is, as I have noticed with the other Guerlains, a powdery Emeraude-esque feel that is a turn off in general.

It's musty, yet warm & spicy. In a way, this is like a cross between Passage d'Enfer and Chinatown.

on 7/2/2006 1:10:00 PM

Cerebral and velvety. Taupe velvet, to be precise.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I got my first bottle of Vol de Nuit 15 years ago on holiday in France.
Although I was just 15, I loved ladylike scents...I had quite a collection...even then. My mother bought me this from a delightful little parfumerie in Vichy.
Now, everytime I wear Vol de Nuit, I'm transported back to this wonderful summer holiday. To me, Vol de Nuit and Aprs L'onde are the most wearable of all the Guerlains I own...

on 3/8/2006 8:30:00 PM

My dear friend snowywhite(thanks snowy) sent me a generous sample of Vol de Nuit,beautiful fragrance.After trying L'Heure Bleue this is like a breath of fresh air.

Seeing as I'm isolated in in Northern Ontario, Canada, I don't get to experiment much with makeup and fragrances. I went "down south" last week (to the great city of Toronto!), walked into The Bay and stumbled accross Guerlain. I sampled pretty much all of their perfumes and when I was introduced to Vol de Nuit, I fell in love. Just the thought of that acquaintance makes me weak in the knees. I asked the salesperson what the name of the fragrance was but was couldn't make out her commendable attempt at pronouncing the french name. I walked away from Guerlain but went back quickly. "Vol de Nuit" de Saint-Ex... Je l'ai lu il y a quelques mois. Une histoire d'aventure, de courage, de force et de devoir... Le roman de la grandeur de l'homme (et de la femme!)... I took this fragrance home and have absolutely no regrets...
QUESTION: Do I smell celery in this?

Popular Fragrances