Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Guerlain Vol de Nuit

4.6

on 10/25/2017 12:49:00 PM

One of the most amazing fragrances around. And I mean it...
I own "L'heure bleue" and "Jardins de bagatelle" but "Vol de nuit" is by far my favorite. Very sensual and sophisticated without being too strong and chemical. Very understated yet elegant. But you have to OWN it. This is not a perfume for beginners ;)

on 5/22/2012 1:01:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Vol de Nuit, you were worth every hard-earned and carefully-saved penny. Created in 1933, the top notes are bergamot, galbanum and petit grain; heart notes are jasmine, daffodil and spices; base notes are earthy woods, iris, vanilla, amber and woodsy notes. Like so many perfumes I love it is an old and deep scent, sitting close to the skin -- but not so close as to make it not worth my while.

I'll have to add more later.

on 10/29/2011 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Mitsouko and I simply don't get along. Shalimar is lovely but a bit too opulent on me, and besides, it's my mother's fragrance. Apres l'Ondee is a stunning floral, but I'm more of an oriental gal. L'Heure Bleue stays cold and aloof and never quite settles on my skin. But oh, Vol de Nuit is perfection.

It smells so similar to L'Heure Bleue at first that I get a little nervous. Then the magic happens. While L'Heure Bleue stays one-dimensional, Vol de Nuit warms and turns polished and golden and epitomizes pretty much everything I love about older classic perfumes with their powdery amber and vanillic benzoin and complexity and nostalgia. It also gets bonus points for having the most beautiful parfum bottle in the fragrance world. I would encourage fans of Caron's Nuit de Noel to also try Vol de Nuit, because they have a lot in common, both in scent and in overall feeling.

on 3/2/2011 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Much is made of its romantic association with aviation and adventure, but a kind of stasis grips the heart of Vol de Nuit, anchoring it firmly to this blighted earth. Even the metallic vitriol of petrol fumes, recreated by the corrosive, medicinal sulfuric, terpene-rich galbanum, hints at a cthonic origin. In one respect, the name is entirely just; it is best worn in the chill winter night, not to comfort as Shalimar would, but to belong. No other perfume so perfectly captures the very substance of darkness itselfopaque, vague, and lonely. There is only starlight in Vol de Nuit, a brief twinkle of bergamot and mandarin, quickly shuttered by a bitter cloud of galbanum, poor illumination against the dense backdrop of resinous woods and earthy aromatics: an abundance of narcissus and iris (these are not actually floral), agarwood, cinnamon (though perhaps more accurately a spice), rosewood, cedar, sandalwood, vetiver, oakmoss, benzoin, and tonka bean.

Vol de Nuit serves is the prototypical bittersweet, caught between attraction and repulsion, and counts in its lineage perfumes such as Bandit and Vent Vert (themselves very influential), as if Cellier dehydrated the sepia-toned original of its Guerlinade and then split it in two halves, one black, the other green. Bittersweet is a common enough theme in artthe grit and heartache in Billie Holiday's voice, that sinister tendency behind Kubrick's films, Hamlet generally screwing everyone up with his eloquence, the Amazonian custom of cutting off a breast to ease archery, Goya's black paintingsit is a little more unexpected from a perfume. If a spirit of adventure guides this composition, it is not, as the name may imply, informed by the rash heroism of youth, but by a mature confidence, leading us on an inward journey, deeper into the heart of darkness.

I often think that Guerlain's perfumes are essays on human frailty, and this is what makes them so fascinating. But Vol de Nuit is a homage, not to frailty, but to human strength, the only one we have, the ability to weather horrible, mindless, meaningless adversity, to face that endless night, know it is there, and still live. If that isn't bittersweet, I don't know what is.

The most beautiful thing I've ever smelled, and that includes rain, lilacs and hockey rinks. A sexy, seductive, intelligent, mysterious, aloof, hypnotic, animalistic, bombshell, come-hither, ballsy broad perfume.

I don't like the Guerlinade that starts it off -- that fusty complex sweetish note. But after a couple of hours, it turns into the most incredible soft dark leather -- like the most luxurious library you can imagine. I will be searching for that note in another perfume.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

I just received my brand new bottle of Vol de Nuit EdT, purchased unsniffed and based on MUA reviews. I agree with a number of reviews and will try to sum it up as best as I can. Vol de Nuit is similar to Shalimar minus the cloying saccharine quality I dislike in Shalimar. It resembles Jicky, with the animalic note smoothed down a little and the herbal note is not as sharp, making it much easier to wear and devastatingly melancholy. It suits my personality and melds with my chemistry so well, it doesn't smell at all like perfume on me. However I uncomfortable wearing it. It reminds me of a very sad time in my life.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Strict, strong, confident, assertive and mature. Very noble scent, like a cold glance, a slap on the cheek with a leather glove, a sharp remark, a wise advice, a pencil skirt, black heels and a starched white shirt with an art deco broach. This Madame requires a certain kind of owner, someone I am not but perhaps will be in the future. I love smelling it on my skin as it takes me back to my grandmas home furnished with antiques and filled with African violets, but I just cant wear it. For now this is a little too magisterial for me.

on 6/20/2006 10:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm reviewing the extrait (parfum). I tried it half a year ago at a Guerlain workshop and wanted to have a bottle ever since. Well, I got it! But at first spritz, the scent appears much stronger than I remembered - perhaps I then tried the EDT? The start reminds me of Cartier Baiser du Dragon, which I find too masculine. Luckily, Vol de Nuit makes an interesting change from sharp to spicy to finally a vanilla/warm/soft/cozy close to the skin scent. Very classic, very grown up. I'll use my precious perfume for those special 'dramatic' occasions, like the Ballet (La Bayadere this year!) or the Opera (Madame Butterfly - my favorite, in spring 2007, yes!).

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I got my first bottle of Vol de Nuit 15 years ago on holiday in France.
Although I was just 15, I loved ladylike scents...I had quite a collection...even then. My mother bought me this from a delightful little parfumerie in Vichy.
Now, everytime I wear Vol de Nuit, I'm transported back to this wonderful summer holiday. To me, Vol de Nuit and Aprs L'onde are the most wearable of all the Guerlains I own...

Popular Fragrances