Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Guerlain Vol de Nuit

4.2

on 1/16/2015 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I wrote the composition notes of. VdN. Vintage extrait (along with Vintage Miss Dior and Vintage caron NdN) in my Avon Bird of. Paradise review. In summary, balsamic woody oriental chypre 1933, including hesperedic notes: bergamot, petit grain; Galbanum, narcissus/daffodil; jasmine, iris/orris root; sandalwood, vanillin (guerlain and, I think, caron, famously insisted on synthetic, adulterated vanillin, a component in caron Mousse de Saxe), amber, oakmoss, benzoin, ambergris, musk, castoreum. (Caron is most famous for using mousse de Saxe; I don't know if Guerlain did as well, but there were numerous premade concoctions: mousse de Saxe, mousse de Chene, etc., by De Laire and other companies). Off topic, I read somewhere that E. Routnitska was known to perform his own personal oxidation of DeLaire compound, in Rochas Femme and other creations.

I had a quarter ounce of VdN vintage extrait; I don't know if I would buy vintage extrait again, but I have ordered VdN vintage clock or disc bottle, new old stock, Edc, circa 1960s-1980s? It has a glass stopper, not a metal screw cap. I also ordered VdN current modern edition (2013 or latter) extrait (presumably with Theirry Wassers reengineered oak moss?)

Was going to update comparisons later, but then I realized that the reviews by flame dancer and Ella 343 belie say it best. I do think vol du nuit is less warm in tone and a bit more four season friendly than caron NdN, but I would wear caron NdN year round too, depending on my mood. VdN is more austere. I should also state that I under apply fragrance and prefer to dab it, not spray which affects outcome and eliminates or reduces sillage.

on 7/24/2011 12:27:00 PM

I absolutely adore this perfume, and it's my signature scent. It's a very sophisticated, adult scent, nothing prissy or girly. It's full on W.O.M.A.N. On my skin it's a warm, soft, woody, oriental-ish floral. I have no problem with it's sillage, as I often get compliments on it in the afternoon, long after I have initially put it on. A lovely, classic fragrance.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I get very little sillage from Vol de Nuit. In order to smell it I really have to hold my wrist to my nose. This goes for both the Parfum and the EDT. This and the exorbitant price are the main reasons why I wouldn't buy a bottle, but it is still a beautiful fragrance.

Vol de Nuit in the EDT form starts out with a really funny bit of Jean Nate mixed with Aliage (the real stuff from the 80s). This is funny only because the true character of the fragrance couldn't be any more different from either, so if you smell this at first, don't judge it then. Wait 5 minutes, and you will get an absolutely magical heart of oakmoss, soft leather, roses and vanilla. This lasts for an hour or so, and then melts to a creamy, powdery doll's head, gingerbread spice and incense scent that is to die for, if you happen to have your nose buried into your skin.

Of course it would be much more intoxicating if it could be smelled at a greater distance than three-to-five inches from the application point (this goes for EDT and parfum both), but at least to my nose, it's not strong or effervescent enough to grab the senses unless you're actively sniffing for it. It's a base-note scent top to bottom, and so it's subtle, which would be a very lovely thing if only it weren't extremely pricey. As much as I love the parfum bottle and the story (I had a small obsession with St. Exupery as a teen), this is in the same vein as Caron's Nuit de Noel and Habanita, both of which came out about ten years prior to Vol de Nuit and represent opposite ends of Vol de Nuit's spectrum. They also cost far, far less, also have great stories and gorgeous bottles, and are quite a lot stronger and more distinctive scents blending rose, oakmoss, vanilla and spices -- Habanita is also has green, tobacco, leather and incense, while Nuit de Noel is a creamier, sweeter scent with aldehydes and a distinctive nuttiness.

There are so many Guerlains that I would love to love, but ultimately they've priced their best ones way out of my market, and the only way that I could ever justify a purchase like that is if it really did hit every mark. But with subtle reformulations over the years rending their best fragrances tame, I would much rather stick with those few classic scents from other lines whose reformulations still have the same spirit and big distinctive presence that just about all fragrances had in the golden era of perfumey perfume.

on 1/14/2010 1:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

(UPDATE: 2/22/2016: Just bought a new bottle of the EDT from NEIMAN-MARCUS, after not having smelled this fragrance for about 7 years. Yes, there it is, that simple but gorgeous smell that is so nice. Aldehydes are HUGE and nose-prickling in the opening spray. I am gratified to see that the leather component is still highly indolic, ie., very slightly mothball-ish, in the oldschool fashion. I love that note, though I'm aware it's precisely what today's under-35's hate in vintage numbers. I agree with everyone here that the EDT is quite evanescent, yet the signature jasmin/leather/Guerlinade accord does linger recognizably for several hours. I observe that the "cherry" almond component of the Guerlinade is rather prominent in the current EDT formulation, reminding some of LHEURE BLEUE.)

VOL DE NUIT is a gorgeous green chypre, with some warming amber, leather and spice elements afoot. But it is by no means an Oriental, and it bears little comparison to SHALIMAR, as some have claimed. VdN is warm, yet never sweet.
That initial hit of galbanum, bergamot, petitgrain, neroli, aldehydes and "Guerlinade" is so refreshing. You'll detect that salty heliotrope/PLAY-DOH note that seems to balkanize smellers. Then an indolic jasmin begins to gently creep out from under the brilliance, tinged with musk and the faintest hint of civet.
May rose, patchouly, frankincense and oakmoss begin to bestow a solidity and identity to the mix; cassia and santal, some warmth.
Au fond, you have a pleasantly "dirty" leather--- like fallen autumn leaves mulching in the mud--- and you begin to feel that VdN is like a cherished pair of old comfortable shoes, or a well-worn, loved brown leather aviator's jacket.

No fragrance incorporates patchouly so deftly.... It is pronounced, yet never once "headshoppy" or heady. VOL DE NUIT is a warm lovable leather, decidedly outdoorsy...almost sporty. Perhaps it could be worn to a formal occasion, yet VdN's real beauty and usefulness is as a friendly, unpretentious daytime companion. Probably most at home with jeans, boots and a leather jacket. VdN is flawlessly blended and balanced; so many things are going on "under the hood", yet individual notes never stand out.... Like the other Guerlains, all one smells is the Gestalt, the totality. Perhaps no perfume house manages this "Gestalt"-type blending as well, so completely, as Guerlain.

VdN is indeed an old-fashioned type smell--- the notes of galbanum, orris, peach, and a nostalgic "TABU-like" accord of patchouly/rose/amber hearken back to the first half of the 20thc.---- but I mean this in the very best way. People who truly know perfumery will cherish this one, and sadly there are probably some twenty-somethings out there who will never even give it a chance. VOL DE NUIT never once pretends to be anything it's not. It will occupy a most special place in your wardrobe... always as a good, chummy friend.

I believe it can be easily Unisex.

on 3/15/2009 7:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Ok, I understand Vol de Nuit is a masterpiece. But, I don't think this is a wearable fragrance for me. I would describe Vol de Nuit as an intense oriental. The first thing that came to my mind was super skanky. The skank lets off heading into the dry down but the strong spices are still there. There is nothing floral at all about this fragrance......it's pure darkness. I would love to own a bottle (the bottle itself is beautiful) but I'm not sure if I'd have the opportunity to wear this.

on 6/7/2008 1:24:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Yay! Finally got my hands on a sample of VdN and I love it! The sandalwood in this fragrance is wonderful! I'd put this in the same family as Caron's Tabac Blond. Vol de Nuit and Tabac Blond don't smell the same but they are similar in a smoky vanilla woods kind of way. One reminds you of the other. Will be adding this to my collection ASAP!

on 12/30/2007 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This review is for the parfum version of Vol de Nuit. It is unfortunate for me that the Guerlains in general all appear to have quite a bit of trouble rising and evolving on my skin into anything more than a mishmash of notes. Vol de Nuit is no exception, which is so unfortunate for me, and will certainly end my quest into the depths of the Guerlain collection. I am able to pull out of the whole thing a warm leather, and an impression of a powdery iris, but other than that the whole thing has a green, sharp tone to it as well that clouds out the rest of the scent. It is, as I have noticed with the other Guerlains, a powdery Emeraude-esque feel that is a turn off in general.

It's musty, yet warm & spicy. In a way, this is like a cross between Passage d'Enfer and Chinatown.

on 6/28/2006 8:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is not a happy, uplifting, energizing fragrance, and I probably won't ever get it. I wouldn't know how to wear it, where to wear it. I gave it 5 lippies because I feel kind of the same about it as I feel about the second movement of Beethoven's 7th, a piece of music I always felt evokes emotions more complex, better maybe, than mere happiness. It's mysterious, spiritual maybe; a misty, still fog that wraps around you instead of an unrelenting sunshine that beats down on you. (OK, I know someone out there is laughing at this.) But tuff. Some people don't get it; there are other things about us that can be celebrated beside energy, happiness, sweetness, prettiness, sexiness, and all that. We're so conditioned to be all of the above too. Vol de Nuit brings in something altogether different from those more socially acceptable traits; it's just so complex, unique, and interesting.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Vol de Nuit edt is a soft, contemplative oriental, beautifully blended and easy to wear. The opening notes of bergamot and citrus are only fleeting on my skin and then the scent becomes more distinctly woody with some iris and jasmine notes, although these are quite faint. As Vol de Nuit dries down it becomes sweeter, more powdery and spicy on me, although never too much so, and there is also a delicious vanilla base note. I can't detect any amber. This is a very refined, gentle oriental - quite beautiful, and perfect for the autumn.

Popular Fragrances