Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Filtered by hair type : Other
Guerlain Vol de Nuit

3.9

on 3/17/2013 3:04:00 AM

For me, Vol de Nuit is distinguished and made exciting by its juxtaposition of disparate notes. Chalky, bitter galbanum and sour citrus smoothly interpenetrate a subtly-orientalized, earthy accord of oakmoss, benzoin, vanilla, and powdery orris. The perfume straddles the divide between oriental and chypre. Where orientals stand gooey-thick up to their knees in a tar-pit of rich, sweet, heavily ambered & balsamic winter-cozy accords, Vol de Nuit merely sticks a toe into this dark territory while keeping her other foot anchored in the lighter fields of chypre with its brown, autumnal, leaf-litter basenotes. Murmurings of vanilla and benzoin tease the primary woody-oakmoss structure, as together they trip through withered, flaxen fields. I get little to no florals, personally. But that's okay. This isn't that kind of a party.

The strength of the EDT is notoriously abysmal, but the vintage parfum is a bit more rich. This perfume vibrates with natural essences; the chlorine twang of modern synthetic fragrances is completely absent here. If one thinks this perfume lacks pizzazz or zing, it's only because that person was - most likely - weaned on modern chemicals substituting for quality essences. Vol de Nuit was the real deal, lovely quality stuff. I can't comment on the current parfum as I haven't tried it, but the vintage is exquisite work. A very calming and grounding fragrance.

on 10/1/2010 8:39:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I was all set to love this. Firstly, it's a Guerlain. Secondly, the bottle is strikingly beautiful, and the name reminds me of a Howard Hughes movie (only if Howard Hughes was French). However, this is one of those Guerlains that doesn't develop on me. It smelled exactly as aldehydic and synthetic on my skin after hours of wear as it did straight from the sample...pretty much as if I rubbed fancy nail polish remover on my skin. Also it gave me a bit of a rash. So sad!

on 5/21/2009 8:41:00 AM

Vol De Nuit is wonderful - a real fragrance, a real perfume that does not smell gourmand, flowery of candy or anything edible. Created in 1933- it has a vintage air, class and mystery . It has its own personailty .To me this is chypre -oriental . Intense, dark and daring in the parfum extrait, lighter, less broody in the EDT but still spicy and very good fragrance. This fragrance is not made in the EDP form.
The extrait is a must try to appreciate this scent entirely. A classic always.

on 8/16/2008 7:47:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I finally get it, having tried Vol de Nuit in pure parfum. I struggled with this for a long time, reading the lyrical reviews and not understanding. When I spritzed it on (in EdT) all I got was a sharpish, leathery, animalic and not very pleasant drydown.

The Parfum is a different beast entirely, because it preserves the Guerlainade sweetness and powderiness. The animalic undertone is still there, making the scent verge interestingly - for me - on repellent. It never teeters over into unwearable because it is perfectly counterbalanced by a rich sweetness. And the result is an evocative beauty - this is what a thirties starlet in furs and lipstick would have worn. Intensely nostalgic.

on 7/30/2008 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Ugh. Too old-fashion perfumey. This holds no appeal for me personally.

on 2/20/2008 10:10:00 AM

I initially tried this as an eau de toilette and liked it. Then I bought a vintage bottle of parfum and was captivated by it. While the topnotes are very subdued in my bottle (partly due to its age I would imagine), the drydown is glorious. It has the very obvious Guerlain base, with some of the animalic qualities of Jicky, but with a deep resinous woody character as well. I noticed the Iris when I wore it first, but the notes are blended in such a way that I am much more conscious of the entire composition than anything else. It is as if the notes merely add various facets to the fragrance without drawing attention to themselves individually. I would advise caution in the application of this fragrance. A little can be very tantalising, but it doesn't take a lot for it to be annoying -even though the smell might not be too strong. With just the right amount, I believe it is one of the most sensual Guerlains.

on 7/24/2007 8:26:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This gets 3 points for history and no points for wearablility on my skin. It turns very nasty and old fashioned on me. Very much a greenish, dusty chypre that can knock birds out of the air at ten paces, even though it stays close to the skin. I'm glad some people can wear this, but I'm unfortunately not one of them. Sample this first, ladies, before buying.

Vol de Nuit is one of my favorites from the classic Guerlains. My interest in perfumes tends to lean towards the vintage, and after what I had read in the reviews here about VdN, I knew I had to try it. My first test was at a Guerlain counter in another city----a Guerlain counter with one bottle of Jicky and one bottle of VdN in the glass case, and both boxes had visible wear on them. Apparently, I'm one of the very last to realize that VdN will no longer be sold at your typical Guerlain counter inside a dept store. When I asked the SA if I could try VdN (and this SA was from another brand's counter), she noted that there were no testers of VdN, but she was kind enough to let me spray from that poor little bottle sitting in the glass case. We both knew no one would buy an old beat-up box, and not for the money that the store was charging. As I tracked the EdT, I became more and more interested in the leathery darkness that composes this fragrance, and yet it unfolds into something abstractly floral. I eventually bought the EdT online, and then later purchased the parfum. I love the enigmatic nature of this fragrance and the way it's so unlike any of the fragrances that seem to be multiplying like rabbits and which come out almost daily. VdN is unique by today's standards and has a masculine tone to it which softens as time wears on. It's simply a masterpiece of perfumery and art.

on 6/7/2005 2:35:00 PM

I spent much of my childhood climbing in and out of airplanes - not jets, mind you, just old rickety air crafts, as they were being examined and repaired in a huge hangar, which seemed like heaven to me. The dear test pilots were very nice about it, always happy to explain to me about steering, navigation, and what the different clocks in the cockpit were all about. But they knew where to draw the line, and to my everlasting disappointment refused to take off on a test flight mission with me on board! I was fascinated and completely charmed by aviation, and to this day remember the particular smell of that hangar - whatever the time of year, by some kind of magic it always had a whiff of autumn about it, I can't think why. I recall the eager anticipation for the first drop of rain that never came, and the sense of adventure, fear and hope all mixed up together in a heady blend of courage and faith. This was very palpable to me, all the more so after I had read The Little Prince - I was so thrilled I resolved to learn French just so I could read every word this wonderful, mysterious Antoine de Saint-Exupry ever wrote! Years later, I got a chance to sample Vol de Nuit and was overcome with emotion. Never to my knowledge had a fragrance encapsulated a mood, a memory, an atmosphere, as well as this one. Many of you, reviewing this scent, wrote in poetic terms; it must be that the ghost in the bottle has not escaped you, either. I always feel blessed and privileged wearing this scent, and it also has a certain bracing effect, almost an inspiration. I would not classify it as a feminine nor necessarily masculine fragrance but rather a scent for the soul. It operates like a sort of benediction, hearkening back to the times when aviators were modern knights in shining armour, having a code of honour and chivalry of their own. I heard that every French flying cadet is presented with a flacon of Vol de Nuit, upon graduation.
I hope this is still true.
I never did learn to fly, alas, but I did study French and will always be grateful to Saint-Exupry for holding out his hand and being the first gate through which I entered a language, a civilization, a country which were to become of the utmost importance to me in later years.
Vol de Nuit is my treasure, but I do not wear it every day. It would be sacrilege. I wear it only when the occasion warrants it, and it still smells like the anticipation for rain that never comes.

on 8/4/2004 8:59:00 PM

Here is my take on a classic fragrance.
Vol de Nuit is one of the better orientals Ive tried. Its how I expect a classy perfume to smell. Powdery and soft yet heady and sophisticated. I can see why Vol de Nuit has been around so long.

Top notes: orange, mandarin, lemon, bergamot, orange blossom
Middle Notes: Jonquil, aldehydes, albanum
Base Notes: vanilla, oakmoss, spice, sandalwood, orris, musk

Popular Fragrances