Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Guerlain Vol de Nuit

4.1

on 7/24/2011 12:27:00 PM

I absolutely adore this perfume, and it's my signature scent. It's a very sophisticated, adult scent, nothing prissy or girly. It's full on W.O.M.A.N. On my skin it's a warm, soft, woody, oriental-ish floral. I have no problem with it's sillage, as I often get compliments on it in the afternoon, long after I have initially put it on. A lovely, classic fragrance.

on 3/2/2011 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Much is made of its romantic association with aviation and adventure, but a kind of stasis grips the heart of Vol de Nuit, anchoring it firmly to this blighted earth. Even the metallic vitriol of petrol fumes, recreated by the corrosive, medicinal sulfuric, terpene-rich galbanum, hints at a cthonic origin. In one respect, the name is entirely just; it is best worn in the chill winter night, not to comfort as Shalimar would, but to belong. No other perfume so perfectly captures the very substance of darkness itselfopaque, vague, and lonely. There is only starlight in Vol de Nuit, a brief twinkle of bergamot and mandarin, quickly shuttered by a bitter cloud of galbanum, poor illumination against the dense backdrop of resinous woods and earthy aromatics: an abundance of narcissus and iris (these are not actually floral), agarwood, cinnamon (though perhaps more accurately a spice), rosewood, cedar, sandalwood, vetiver, oakmoss, benzoin, and tonka bean.

Vol de Nuit serves is the prototypical bittersweet, caught between attraction and repulsion, and counts in its lineage perfumes such as Bandit and Vent Vert (themselves very influential), as if Cellier dehydrated the sepia-toned original of its Guerlinade and then split it in two halves, one black, the other green. Bittersweet is a common enough theme in artthe grit and heartache in Billie Holiday's voice, that sinister tendency behind Kubrick's films, Hamlet generally screwing everyone up with his eloquence, the Amazonian custom of cutting off a breast to ease archery, Goya's black paintingsit is a little more unexpected from a perfume. If a spirit of adventure guides this composition, it is not, as the name may imply, informed by the rash heroism of youth, but by a mature confidence, leading us on an inward journey, deeper into the heart of darkness.

I often think that Guerlain's perfumes are essays on human frailty, and this is what makes them so fascinating. But Vol de Nuit is a homage, not to frailty, but to human strength, the only one we have, the ability to weather horrible, mindless, meaningless adversity, to face that endless night, know it is there, and still live. If that isn't bittersweet, I don't know what is.

on 10/1/2010 8:39:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I was all set to love this. Firstly, it's a Guerlain. Secondly, the bottle is strikingly beautiful, and the name reminds me of a Howard Hughes movie (only if Howard Hughes was French). However, this is one of those Guerlains that doesn't develop on me. It smelled exactly as aldehydic and synthetic on my skin after hours of wear as it did straight from the sample...pretty much as if I rubbed fancy nail polish remover on my skin. Also it gave me a bit of a rash. So sad!

on 10/28/2009 5:19:00 PM

Ive just recieved my first one, ordered online unsniffed, what a great surprise: I loved it! It reminds me of something that I have no idea what it is... as each one of all old guerlains I suppose. It surely has something of Shalimar but more fruitier and some insence leading into some animalic almost manly dark note. Amazing fragrance! Ill keep ordering unsniffed guerlain classics online as nothing compares to them. Thanks for all you girls reviewers that in a way are helping me on my relevance list!

I bought the EDP for myself for the holidays from Neimans. The original scent was delicious and intoxicating, however....after about 5 minutes I was totally scent-less. Maybe I'm crazy but I couldn't detect anything. I'm sure that my body chemistry is deficient and to blame because this is the most lovely fragrance I have ever sniffed - it just doesn't like me. Even when just minutes after application, I asked my daughter how I smelled by offering my neck, she said "Like nothing - I don't smell anything". Needless to say I'm more than disappointed.

on 11/26/2008 9:14:00 AM

What is it about Jacques Guerlain's classic perfumes that makes them so difficult, yet so compelling? For so long, I dismissed Vol de Nuit as too dark, gamey, and weird. I even compared it to a barnyard, animals included. But when I tried it at the Waldorf-Astoria's charming little Guerlain space yesterday evening, something happened. I finally started to get it. The wood notes, so smooth that they seemed polished, came out, as did vanilla and some notes that reminded me of old-fashioned face cream and powder. It was still dark, but no longer impossible. Now, instead of a barnyard, I think of a 1930s femme fatale's dressing table, upon which Vol de Nuit's beautiful, Art Deco extrait bottle would go perfectly.

on 7/21/2008 10:22:00 PM

I'm really disappointed. I read that it was Diana Rigg's favorite, and that's why I wanted to try it. I tried it twice tonight, and it's - dare I say it - a powdery version of a woman's Old Spice cologne. If anyone wants to trade, just let me know. This perfume, as much as I adore Guerlain scents, is just too woody for me.

on 6/7/2008 1:24:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Yay! Finally got my hands on a sample of VdN and I love it! The sandalwood in this fragrance is wonderful! I'd put this in the same family as Caron's Tabac Blond. Vol de Nuit and Tabac Blond don't smell the same but they are similar in a smoky vanilla woods kind of way. One reminds you of the other. Will be adding this to my collection ASAP!

on 12/30/2007 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This review is for the parfum version of Vol de Nuit. It is unfortunate for me that the Guerlains in general all appear to have quite a bit of trouble rising and evolving on my skin into anything more than a mishmash of notes. Vol de Nuit is no exception, which is so unfortunate for me, and will certainly end my quest into the depths of the Guerlain collection. I am able to pull out of the whole thing a warm leather, and an impression of a powdery iris, but other than that the whole thing has a green, sharp tone to it as well that clouds out the rest of the scent. It is, as I have noticed with the other Guerlains, a powdery Emeraude-esque feel that is a turn off in general.

on 7/24/2007 8:26:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This gets 3 points for history and no points for wearablility on my skin. It turns very nasty and old fashioned on me. Very much a greenish, dusty chypre that can knock birds out of the air at ten paces, even though it stays close to the skin. I'm glad some people can wear this, but I'm unfortunately not one of them. Sample this first, ladies, before buying.

Popular Fragrances