Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Filtered by skin type : Normal
Guerlain Vol de Nuit

4.8

on 3/17/2013 3:04:00 AM

For me, Vol de Nuit is distinguished and made exciting by its juxtaposition of disparate notes. Chalky, bitter galbanum and sour citrus smoothly interpenetrate a subtly-orientalized, earthy accord of oakmoss, benzoin, vanilla, and powdery orris. The perfume straddles the divide between oriental and chypre. Where orientals stand gooey-thick up to their knees in a tar-pit of rich, sweet, heavily ambered & balsamic winter-cozy accords, Vol de Nuit merely sticks a toe into this dark territory while keeping her other foot anchored in the lighter fields of chypre with its brown, autumnal, leaf-litter basenotes. Murmurings of vanilla and benzoin tease the primary woody-oakmoss structure, as together they trip through withered, flaxen fields. I get little to no florals, personally. But that's okay. This isn't that kind of a party.

The strength of the EDT is notoriously abysmal, but the vintage parfum is a bit more rich. This perfume vibrates with natural essences; the chlorine twang of modern synthetic fragrances is completely absent here. If one thinks this perfume lacks pizzazz or zing, it's only because that person was - most likely - weaned on modern chemicals substituting for quality essences. Vol de Nuit was the real deal, lovely quality stuff. I can't comment on the current parfum as I haven't tried it, but the vintage is exquisite work. A very calming and grounding fragrance.

I bought the EDP for myself for the holidays from Neimans. The original scent was delicious and intoxicating, however....after about 5 minutes I was totally scent-less. Maybe I'm crazy but I couldn't detect anything. I'm sure that my body chemistry is deficient and to blame because this is the most lovely fragrance I have ever sniffed - it just doesn't like me. Even when just minutes after application, I asked my daughter how I smelled by offering my neck, she said "Like nothing - I don't smell anything". Needless to say I'm more than disappointed.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

I just received my brand new bottle of Vol de Nuit EdT, purchased unsniffed and based on MUA reviews. I agree with a number of reviews and will try to sum it up as best as I can. Vol de Nuit is similar to Shalimar minus the cloying saccharine quality I dislike in Shalimar. It resembles Jicky, with the animalic note smoothed down a little and the herbal note is not as sharp, making it much easier to wear and devastatingly melancholy. It suits my personality and melds with my chemistry so well, it doesn't smell at all like perfume on me. However I uncomfortable wearing it. It reminds me of a very sad time in my life.

on 2/20/2008 10:10:00 AM

I initially tried this as an eau de toilette and liked it. Then I bought a vintage bottle of parfum and was captivated by it. While the topnotes are very subdued in my bottle (partly due to its age I would imagine), the drydown is glorious. It has the very obvious Guerlain base, with some of the animalic qualities of Jicky, but with a deep resinous woody character as well. I noticed the Iris when I wore it first, but the notes are blended in such a way that I am much more conscious of the entire composition than anything else. It is as if the notes merely add various facets to the fragrance without drawing attention to themselves individually. I would advise caution in the application of this fragrance. A little can be very tantalising, but it doesn't take a lot for it to be annoying -even though the smell might not be too strong. With just the right amount, I believe it is one of the most sensual Guerlains.

on 12/30/2007 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This review is for the parfum version of Vol de Nuit. It is unfortunate for me that the Guerlains in general all appear to have quite a bit of trouble rising and evolving on my skin into anything more than a mishmash of notes. Vol de Nuit is no exception, which is so unfortunate for me, and will certainly end my quest into the depths of the Guerlain collection. I am able to pull out of the whole thing a warm leather, and an impression of a powdery iris, but other than that the whole thing has a green, sharp tone to it as well that clouds out the rest of the scent. It is, as I have noticed with the other Guerlains, a powdery Emeraude-esque feel that is a turn off in general.

on 11/17/2007 11:40:00 PM

Wow! This is a quiet, soft scent. Very beautiful and fleeting initially powdery then dries down to a lovely clean skin scent. I love the EDT. It is uncommon....

on 6/28/2006 8:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is not a happy, uplifting, energizing fragrance, and I probably won't ever get it. I wouldn't know how to wear it, where to wear it. I gave it 5 lippies because I feel kind of the same about it as I feel about the second movement of Beethoven's 7th, a piece of music I always felt evokes emotions more complex, better maybe, than mere happiness. It's mysterious, spiritual maybe; a misty, still fog that wraps around you instead of an unrelenting sunshine that beats down on you. (OK, I know someone out there is laughing at this.) But tuff. Some people don't get it; there are other things about us that can be celebrated beside energy, happiness, sweetness, prettiness, sexiness, and all that. We're so conditioned to be all of the above too. Vol de Nuit brings in something altogether different from those more socially acceptable traits; it's just so complex, unique, and interesting.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I got my first bottle of Vol de Nuit 15 years ago on holiday in France.
Although I was just 15, I loved ladylike scents...I had quite a collection...even then. My mother bought me this from a delightful little parfumerie in Vichy.
Now, everytime I wear Vol de Nuit, I'm transported back to this wonderful summer holiday. To me, Vol de Nuit and Aprs L'onde are the most wearable of all the Guerlains I own...

on 4/3/2006 7:53:00 PM

This is one of the few Guerlains that works with my chemistry and certainly one of the most unique fragrances I have ever smelled. Vol de Nuit starts out with a fabulous burst of bergamot, but quickly evolves. This is one of those scents that is so seamlessly blended, that I really hate to take it apart. Several people have written that it is a melancholy fragrance, that it brings tears to the eyes. I could not imagine such a scent, unless it was so awful or pungent, but this is indeed a gloomy fragrance. There is a dusty note there and something so sad. To me, this is what memories would smell like if they had a scent. If this was a Harry Potter potion, this would be nostalgia in a bottle, guaranteed to transport the wearer back in time memories that are melancholy, yet treasured at the same time if that makes any sense. Most fragrances these days aim to smell inoffensive and pleasant. Very few conjure up any images. Vol de Nuit brings such beautiful images to mind, it alters mood, time and place. It may not be a scent for everyone, certainly not one that I could wear on a daily basis, but it is a fragrance I am honored t have tried and one I will treasure and reserve for special times and moments when I want to be transfixed by my scent.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Vol de Nuit edt is a soft, contemplative oriental, beautifully blended and easy to wear. The opening notes of bergamot and citrus are only fleeting on my skin and then the scent becomes more distinctly woody with some iris and jasmine notes, although these are quite faint. As Vol de Nuit dries down it becomes sweeter, more powdery and spicy on me, although never too much so, and there is also a delicious vanilla base note. I can't detect any amber. This is a very refined, gentle oriental - quite beautiful, and perfect for the autumn.

Popular Fragrances