Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Guerlain Vol de Nuit

3.7

on 7/30/2008 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Ugh. Too old-fashion perfumey. This holds no appeal for me personally.

on 8/5/2007 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Thanks to the lovely lady, Jill, who made me a huge decant of this a swap, I got to try this fragrance once again. I could burst out into poetry over this, but I will spare you :). It's amazing. It makes me think of velvet, a heavy and incredibly soft fur coat, fresh pipe tobacco, dark red roses and old-fashioned face powder all in one. It conveys the same feeling as Guerlain's masculine masterpiece, Habit Rouge softness, darkness, quietude. Even in EdT form VdN is quite tenacious on me, despite my dry skin. It's expensive, yes, but for the individualist who is looking for a perfume that stands out in a crowd of generic florals, VdN is worth every penny.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

One of my favourite Guerlains. It is a great woody fragrance, very elegant. It is so nice to wear it in fall and winter.

on 10/17/2005 8:43:00 AM

A beautiful old fragrance. It started with a lovely, warm, comforting, powdery, elegant and not too overwhelming notes on my skin - very nice. And this is the best part of it for me because after a while it developes an overly woodsy drydown: still very nice for those who are looking for woody scents. As I'm not exactly into those type of fragrances I think it is not for me. My husband think it is "too woodsy" and not my style. I still like it a lot. Very nice perfume.

on 12/30/2004 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

When I think of Guerlain's fragrances an old song comes to mind: "They're writing songs of love, but not for me..." ("Four Weddings & a Funeral", among many other films). If you have any knowledge of perfume, you know you're supposed to love Guerlain's creations. I mean, it's really not an option to say that you don't if you want to be taken seriously. (And truth be told, I do love Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue sometimes, phew! But the rest of them...) Well, I received Vol de Nuit in a swap, and although I can definitely get the hype, this fragrance is another one of those that I would not buy for myself. It starts out so soft and beautiful, reminding me somewhat of two of my favorites, Cabochard and Chanel N19. Then it goes into a floral-powdery phase, still very beautiful but more and more heavy as time passes. The drydown smells like old biscuits on me. I don't know why, but something in Guerlain's fragrances clashes with my chemistry. I guess I'll just stick to my Old Faithful Chanels (N19, N5, Coco) and leave the Guerlains to their faithful fans. UPDATE: This fragrance gave me a massive migraine. Only Anas Anas has ever done that before. What a shame. Guess I'll put it up for swap. :(

This fragrance fully encompasses what I believe to be a vintage, old fashioned scent you'd find tucked away in your grandmother's attic. It smells old yet powdery, synthetic and strong. Not for me.

on 1/28/2004 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Opens with a subtle creamy orange spice and settles to a warm woody musky fragrance. Comforting, complex.

on 12/23/2003 9:51:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

vol de nuit parfum is: that hyperreal dream of a long-lost loved one returned, a rainy Paris afternoon, your great grandmother's wedding ring, moody jazz, and pressed flowers in a stranger's journal discovered in an antique shop find.

it's at once both ethereal and earthy, with the perfect balance of wood, vanilla & mature green floral bouquet notes, ending in a sweet haunting drydown. i adore this exquisite parfum though it has nearly brought me to tears many times for some odd reason-- this beautiful ghost in a bottle. continued >>

on 8/2/2003 6:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

OMG! was also my instant and unedited reaction to Vol de Nuit.
This one has my whole heart and
devotion. Many thanks
to Chris and Laurene for their generosity once again in sending me a sample vial. Vol de Nuit is akin to Mitsouko, Apres L'Ondee, L'Heure Bleue, and
Chanel Cuir de Russie, but gentler.
Very refined and classy. Alas, the EDT does not last long on me, but I'm willing to reapply. The most perfect over-50 fragrance I can imagine. Vol de Nuit sets the bar high and gives one quite a standard to meet.

on 7/1/2003 12:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Yum! I tried the EDT version first and was sorely disappointed. I put it on my pulse points, whiffed its magnificence, and then BAM!--it faded into oblivion. Happily, my MUA friend, Sherry, was kind enough to send me a decant of the perfume. When I first put it on, it smells a bit like cardboard. Oh but then it gets interesting. The perfume seems to slowly meld into my body chemistry. After about an hour, it is the most delicious floriental I have ever experienced. How does Guerlain do it? They have fragrances approaching 100 years or more, yet they are as timely today as they were back then. In this case, Vol de Nuit celebrates its 70th birthday this year. If you haven't done so already, I suggest you take time to pay homage to it and celebrate its ageless mystery.

Popular Fragrances