Guerlain Vol de Nuit

4.7

on 11/28/2008 8:42:00 PM

my love.

on 7/15/2008 12:39:00 AM

I'm reviewing the EDT only, and my bottle is from a swap, so I don't know it's true age, and I surmise the EDT must differ from the perfume as I've noticed in other Guerlin fragrances. I have avoided this scent for a while after my first initial spritz (over a year ago) left me with an aldeydic mess. But now, the urge hit me again to sample it, and I sustained the initial aldehydes long enough to settle, and acclimate to the powdery dryness of the woods (?). It is lovely, and familiarly related to L'Heure Bleue and Shalimar, sans their sweetness. I so want to sample the parfum to see if I can distinguish the notes better. Even the Edt, which is fleeting, has a lovely sillage, as do my other Guerlains. I suspect there will be a notable distinction that may lead to love. At this point, I'm enjoying the EDT, and want to try it as an all-day trial (as opposed to a hefty forearm spray) to see how it evolves. I hope to add more to this review pending my all day experience and sampling the parfum, if I can get my hands on it!

on 2/22/2008 5:46:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Timeless. Classy. Captivating.
My favorite Guerlain along with Jardins de Bagatelle.
EDT is fine with me:) Love it!

on 2/2/2007 11:19:00 PM

Much too soapy on me. My husband said it smelled like Old Spice.

One-of-a-kind perfume. Nothing compares to this unbelievable fragrance. Extremely resinous wood. Volatile vapors evaporate on contact. Citrus and perfectly selected florals begin to sing in the background. Upon warming to the skin, the clean wood offers an increasing amount of smooth, powdery iris, sweetened only by spices that are so well-matched to this dynamic, straightforward fragrance that it is impossible to identify any single one. Breathe it in. It lifts you up. Aptly named for flight, with an unerring sense of direction. A complete absence of anything cute or cloying comes from this bottle, only strength, light, and clarity. Thank goodness Guerlain still makes it. I wish very much that the parfum were readily available.

Perfection!

Vol de Nuit is one of my favorites from the classic Guerlains. My interest in perfumes tends to lean towards the vintage, and after what I had read in the reviews here about VdN, I knew I had to try it. My first test was at a Guerlain counter in another city----a Guerlain counter with one bottle of Jicky and one bottle of VdN in the glass case, and both boxes had visible wear on them. Apparently, I'm one of the very last to realize that VdN will no longer be sold at your typical Guerlain counter inside a dept store. When I asked the SA if I could try VdN (and this SA was from another brand's counter), she noted that there were no testers of VdN, but she was kind enough to let me spray from that poor little bottle sitting in the glass case. We both knew no one would buy an old beat-up box, and not for the money that the store was charging. As I tracked the EdT, I became more and more interested in the leathery darkness that composes this fragrance, and yet it unfolds into something abstractly floral. I eventually bought the EdT online, and then later purchased the parfum. I love the enigmatic nature of this fragrance and the way it's so unlike any of the fragrances that seem to be multiplying like rabbits and which come out almost daily. VdN is unique by today's standards and has a masculine tone to it which softens as time wears on. It's simply a masterpiece of perfumery and art.

I agree with ImMockingU on so many levels, layers of scent and joy flushed into one fine fragrance that reminds me of my own off-beat swiss childhood. I too enjoy pawn shops.

on 6/24/2005 4:43:00 AM

Nestling majestically near the top of the oriental pantheon, Vol de Nuit is still reeling in new fans 72 years after it was launched. Try the parfum (extrait) for a complete sense of this wondrous fragrance. Note: There is currently some talk (started by Luca Turin) of a future reformulation of the 14 classic Guerlains to remove the allergens coumarin, oak moss and birch tar and replace them with substitutes, but no one has mentioned discontinuation so there's no need to start hoarding just yet.

I tried this a few years ago and was shocked at everyones descriptions of it because what I tried was nothing like these ethereal descriptions. Fast forward two years later.......pure parfum. Ah, yeah, this is the stuff. A world of difference. So much smoother and well balanced. The EDT was harsh and sharp on me. I really did not like it at all. The parfum is exquisite. At first it did have that blast from the past feeling and I didn't like it....it was a bit old fashioned smelling...but after about 1/2 hour I was left wondering where that fab smell was coming from. It was soft and gentle, vanilla, amber and woods. What a lovely scent.

Popular Fragrances