Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Guerlain Vol de Nuit

4.3

on 3/17/2013 3:04:00 AM

For me, Vol de Nuit is distinguished and made exciting by its juxtaposition of disparate notes. Chalky, bitter galbanum and sour citrus smoothly interpenetrate a subtly-orientalized, earthy accord of oakmoss, benzoin, vanilla, and powdery orris. The perfume straddles the divide between oriental and chypre. Where orientals stand gooey-thick up to their knees in a tar-pit of rich, sweet, heavily ambered & balsamic winter-cozy accords, Vol de Nuit merely sticks a toe into this dark territory while keeping her other foot anchored in the lighter fields of chypre with its brown, autumnal, leaf-litter basenotes. Murmurings of vanilla and benzoin tease the primary woody-oakmoss structure, as together they trip through withered, flaxen fields. I get little to no florals, personally. But that's okay. This isn't that kind of a party.

The strength of the EDT is notoriously abysmal, but the vintage parfum is a bit more rich. This perfume vibrates with natural essences; the chlorine twang of modern synthetic fragrances is completely absent here. If one thinks this perfume lacks pizzazz or zing, it's only because that person was - most likely - weaned on modern chemicals substituting for quality essences. Vol de Nuit was the real deal, lovely quality stuff. I can't comment on the current parfum as I haven't tried it, but the vintage is exquisite work. A very calming and grounding fragrance.

on 5/22/2012 1:01:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Vol de Nuit, you were worth every hard-earned and carefully-saved penny. Created in 1933, the top notes are bergamot, galbanum and petit grain; heart notes are jasmine, daffodil and spices; base notes are earthy woods, iris, vanilla, amber and woodsy notes. Like so many perfumes I love it is an old and deep scent, sitting close to the skin -- but not so close as to make it not worth my while.

I'll have to add more later.

on 10/29/2011 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Mitsouko and I simply don't get along. Shalimar is lovely but a bit too opulent on me, and besides, it's my mother's fragrance. Apres l'Ondee is a stunning floral, but I'm more of an oriental gal. L'Heure Bleue stays cold and aloof and never quite settles on my skin. But oh, Vol de Nuit is perfection.

It smells so similar to L'Heure Bleue at first that I get a little nervous. Then the magic happens. While L'Heure Bleue stays one-dimensional, Vol de Nuit warms and turns polished and golden and epitomizes pretty much everything I love about older classic perfumes with their powdery amber and vanillic benzoin and complexity and nostalgia. It also gets bonus points for having the most beautiful parfum bottle in the fragrance world. I would encourage fans of Caron's Nuit de Noel to also try Vol de Nuit, because they have a lot in common, both in scent and in overall feeling.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I get very little sillage from Vol de Nuit. In order to smell it I really have to hold my wrist to my nose. This goes for both the Parfum and the EDT. This and the exorbitant price are the main reasons why I wouldn't buy a bottle, but it is still a beautiful fragrance.

Vol de Nuit in the EDT form starts out with a really funny bit of Jean Nate mixed with Aliage (the real stuff from the 80s). This is funny only because the true character of the fragrance couldn't be any more different from either, so if you smell this at first, don't judge it then. Wait 5 minutes, and you will get an absolutely magical heart of oakmoss, soft leather, roses and vanilla. This lasts for an hour or so, and then melts to a creamy, powdery doll's head, gingerbread spice and incense scent that is to die for, if you happen to have your nose buried into your skin.

Of course it would be much more intoxicating if it could be smelled at a greater distance than three-to-five inches from the application point (this goes for EDT and parfum both), but at least to my nose, it's not strong or effervescent enough to grab the senses unless you're actively sniffing for it. It's a base-note scent top to bottom, and so it's subtle, which would be a very lovely thing if only it weren't extremely pricey. As much as I love the parfum bottle and the story (I had a small obsession with St. Exupery as a teen), this is in the same vein as Caron's Nuit de Noel and Habanita, both of which came out about ten years prior to Vol de Nuit and represent opposite ends of Vol de Nuit's spectrum. They also cost far, far less, also have great stories and gorgeous bottles, and are quite a lot stronger and more distinctive scents blending rose, oakmoss, vanilla and spices -- Habanita is also has green, tobacco, leather and incense, while Nuit de Noel is a creamier, sweeter scent with aldehydes and a distinctive nuttiness.

There are so many Guerlains that I would love to love, but ultimately they've priced their best ones way out of my market, and the only way that I could ever justify a purchase like that is if it really did hit every mark. But with subtle reformulations over the years rending their best fragrances tame, I would much rather stick with those few classic scents from other lines whose reformulations still have the same spirit and big distinctive presence that just about all fragrances had in the golden era of perfumey perfume.

The most beautiful thing I've ever smelled, and that includes rain, lilacs and hockey rinks. A sexy, seductive, intelligent, mysterious, aloof, hypnotic, animalistic, bombshell, come-hither, ballsy broad perfume.

on 4/24/2010 5:57:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Finally, I got to try Vol de Nuit, and it is just gorgeous! This is a soft oriental, similar to Shalimar, but a little more woody and less vanillic. It's very elegant and soft. I am more comfortable wearing this than Shalimar due to Shalimar's huge popularity and connection with elderly relatives. Terribly difficult to locate, I believe only Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman have it in their stores. Absolutely worth getting a decant to try if the stores near you don't carry Vol de Nuit. It is a true beauty, and I wish it were more available in the mainstream.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

We all know Shalimar is beautiful but many of us associate with an elderly family member that has worn it for the last 50 years. This exemplifies how good the fragrance is because it is still appealing after all these years. I don't know about you, but I want my fragrance choices to be unique. I don't want to smell like aunt Sheba (that's her scent).

Vol De Nuit is a beautiful woody oriental. It has many similarities to Shalimar but is a bit naughtier/sexier/edgier. I love this. It's Shalimar's prettier sister that doesn't go to as many parties and has a smaller social circle.

on 6/9/2009 12:05:00 AM

Despite Vol de Nuit's legendary status, it does nothing for me, after 30 minutes the aldehydes settle in and don't budge. I'm fasting drawing the conclusion that my skin does not like aldehydes as I seem to find this with every perfume that I know contains prominent aldehydes, i.e. Chanel #5 and a couple of Carons. I never encounter this with perfumes from Serge Lutens, Montale etc that omit this chemical ingredient. A perfume lesson has been learned!

on 8/22/2008 5:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Whoa, I'm having some problems with my "The Guide" 5 Stars... first "Chinatown," now this I just can't stand. Okay, I hated this less than the Chinatown but it dried down to what basically smelled like rubber. And not the clean new-tire rubber of "Bulgari Black," but a dirty old rubber ball, like the kind I used to bounce against a wall as a kid. This is weirding me out -- could it be I have a major personal problem with tuberose? I know tuberose has that rubber/butter smell I don't like, personally. But this doesn't have tuberose listed in the notes... Narcissus? Or could it be my chemistry is wacky this week and making everything smell bad? Maybe, but I simply can't say this stuff sucks, for me it just didn't work. I guess that's why perfumes are so fascinating, because how could Dame Diana Rigg be wrong?

I don't like the Guerlinade that starts it off -- that fusty complex sweetish note. But after a couple of hours, it turns into the most incredible soft dark leather -- like the most luxurious library you can imagine. I will be searching for that note in another perfume.

Popular Fragrances